Best Bushcraft Knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
BorderReiver said:
It's always an idea to ask how many sorts of knives are in the kitchen,and why it is necessary to have SO many different ones. :)

Works in discussions with NKP as well. :D

It makes you wonder how we ever survive in the woods with such a small number of knives doesn't it. :cool:

I NEED more knives

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
BorderReiver said:
It's always an idea to ask how many sorts of knives are in the kitchen,and why it is necessary to have SO many different ones. :)

Works in discussions with NKP as well. :D

OK. I'll bite. Who or what is "NKP"? :confused:

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
My favourite bushcraft knife is by far my saami-knife. It is cheap, strong and about 30cm blade. It is useful as a small axe as well as to other more delicate work. With the large size of the knife it takes some time to get used to. Myself I have used it for many years and find smaller knives to be messy and only use them when I need a more sharply pointed tool.

If I ever had to defend myself with a knife, I guess this one would fare better than the average short knife. :)

Torjus Gaaren

J

Jazzman

Personally, I still like the original Frost's Mora knife (not the Clipper) it's very original and no-frills.

Don't get me wrong, I like using other blades as well, but the grunt work I would use the Mora... Hey, if it's good enough for Mors Kochanski; it's good enough for me.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Jazzman said:
Personally, I still like the original Frost's Mora knife (not the Clipper) it's very original and no-frills.

Don't get me wrong, I like using other blades as well, but the grunt work I would use the Mora... Hey, if it's good enough for Mors Kochanski; it's good enough for me.

Equipment "good enough" for an expert may be totally inadequate for a novice, yes?

J

Jazzman

Well yes, but as far as I know the Mora was a knife designer for beginners. Mors just shows that it can also be used to a high level also. But can I see where you are coming from.

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
Hi, Jazman.

Relatively thin blades for outdoor use are characteristic of knives made in Scandinavia, inclusive of the Mora area of Sweden, and are used pretty universally. Some "youth" models have more substantial guards but the same thin blades.

Mutley

Forager
May 6, 2005
I would say that there is no "best knife" in general. Only a best knife to YOU.

You have to find one you can use comfortably and be able to master all required tasks easily.

I like Opinals - cheap knives but they work great for me.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
some people associate having lots of knives with an undesirable personality trait, the reality of it is that a Knife is a tool and the primary tool for our craft.

if you do any hobby or job which requires a particular set of tools, over time you will invariably amass a number of them as your preferences change or you discover a version which accomplishes a particular task better.

on the web I am sure there is a carpentry forum where, right now they are discussing the number of different chisels they own, and in all probability someone has just asked "which chisel is best?" which will evoke a thread just like the one we have here.

however this is an unanswerable question, the only possible but unfortunately unhelpful answer is "which ever is best for you"

the only way you will know which is best of you is to buy a cheap knife which you think will suit you, try it and learn from it, so that you can make a more informed choice when you by your next.

in time you will own a knife which you feel is perfect for you, and probably own a small collection of semi redundant knives as reminders of the learning curve which led you to you current choice of tool. You will also feel a strong desire to inform others of 'only one true bushcraft tool' which you have discovered when someone next asks the question "which is best"

but if you can restrain yourself and say "which ever is best for you" whilst offering some flexible guidelines on what features they might consider to looking for, you will be doing them a far greater service.

Well said Stuart, over the years and with knowledge gained over time, I have collected quite a few bushcraft knives, from my first a Norwegian Puko (bought in 1976) through Mora's, Helle's, Svord, Northstar to my current user the WS Woodlore. My next purchase will probably be a custom made knife to suit my own needs, this will be the "best knife" but only for me. :)

Schwert

Settler
Apr 30, 2004
Seattle WA USA
the only way you will know which is best of you is to buy a cheap knife which you think will suit you, try it and learn from it, so that you can make a more informed choice when you by your next.

Excellent Stuart. I recently thought forums like this and questions like this were perfect to keep folks from following that exact path...acquiring and acquiring until they acquired their perfect knife. But now I wonder if this path is almost not required because the perfect knife is as Stuart states is

"which ever is best for you"
, and guidance alone is all we can offer.

I have believed for a long time to not buy a cheap tool then rebuy and rebuy but I bet every knife I ever used taught me something so maybe some of those awfully odd knives I bought were not all a waste of money.

This weekend, on a car camping trip, I took along a knife that has not seen much use up to now. I was even more impressed with my choice after giving it some decent use building fires. When I had first purchased it I read that the blade was 3/32" thick but the text actually said 3/16" thick. Now that is 50% thicker than most of the knives I tend to buy now. I parked it in my kit thinking it would work great with a baton and this weekend I used it quite a bit for exactly that. I was happy that this knife found its place in my kit.

This knife is not ever going to be my first pick for most tasks but I am glad to have it and to learn from it.

Fred

Apr 29, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
Hi - just a point to mention to Myakka: it's interesting that you have lots of knives on show and your signature says 'the more you know, the less you need' ;)

Do you really need all of them?

Which would you have if you could only have one?

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
myakka said:
I change my knife carry often, here are a few of my favorites :D

The two middle knives? are they copies of the Klingon mekleth. I always wondered if they could be used for real? :p

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
As an example 01 steel is easily outclassed by A2 Tool steel in every respect and yet he still harks on about carbon steel this and carbon steel that! A2 IS a carbon steel and it is MUCH better than 01. Ray is not as aware as he thinks...

This is unfair General, I have only ever heard Ray say that he likes any good tool steel and that his preference is for 01.

I think 01 when heat treated well performs more than well enough for any bushcraft job. And i think Ray particuarly likes the way in which it reacts to nature in a visable way. But i guess you would have to ask him that yourself. Forgive me for being harsh but this is how i see it.

Personally i prefere Cpm3v but i would use any good steel.

The ultimate knife must be sharp and hold a good edge and be quite tough and that is the fundmatals i think, good basics!

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I think the old fashioned approach for knives still holds water though. Carbon steel is better for sparks and a slightly softer blade is easier to sharpen and less likely to chip.
I currently have a Nessmuk style sheath knife I brought because I wanted a fixed blade and didn't get on with a frosts 90 blade I made up, a SAK Electrician Plus (Farmer with an extra blade) and I'm starting work on a cheap tomahawk.
I could get a Mora and a Gransfors etc. but I like doing things my way as that's half the fun!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE