"Best" bushcraft book...?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
It was written nearly 100 years ago but a lot is very relevant.

Stuff like gadgets, and ultralight kit.

Nat

Sep 4, 2007
York, North Yorkshire
I got mine from amazon they sell it for bout 8 quid.

Not The Survival Handbook they don't. The outdoor Survival Handbook and Essential Bushcraft plus his recent ones. In fact that is the cheapest it's been on Amazon for many months.

It's hard to find anything soley related to "bushcraft" know how and skills for the UK. Some have many useful skills that can be used over here, but snow shoes, igloos etc aren't much cop on Dartmoor, North York Moors or The New Forest :pokenest:

The electronic version of that book wasn't working for me which is a shame as it's nigh on £20 on ebay and amazon

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
There were a few copies of RM's original survival book up for grabs at the Scottish Meet at Comrie Croft, I should have availed myself of the opporchancity.

My son has my original copy of Lofties survival book, and I think I have the teeny weeny Collins version in an unpacked box somewhere, unless No.1 Son has that too.

The only book of this kind that I definately still have is Ediie McGhee's No Need To Die also in an unpacked box.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Ive got a few books on the subject, mainly Mears and Mors, but really wish there was a reference book out there that deals soley with the UK. Its nice to read what is done in foreign climates, but i aint never gonna visit them to practise the skills.

A book based solely around general UK woodland bushcraft skills would be great.

Paul

I don't know what it is going to contain and its early days but may be worth keeping an eye out in autumn for Joe O'Learys book as mentioned on the wilderness survival skills website.
THIS PAGE BOTTOM RHS.
http://www.wilderness-survival.co.uk/joe-oleary/

HTH

Last edited:

Biker

Has anyone read Martyn Forrester's: Survival, a complete guide to staying alive. (ISBN: 0722135882)

I bought this book new in the mid 80's and it's well thumbed now and really got me fired up for this genre. His "what if this happened to you, what would you do? chapter really helped me get into the right mindset for dealing with situations and things to do and avoid.

I just ran a google search for the ISB number and it turned up some results so it looks like it's still in print. After Lofty Wiseman's book this was the most inspiring for me. Covers pretty much everything and the survivor stories are amazing! Great night time reading by the light of a LED headlamp in the woods.

The down side of this book, at least my paperback version of it, it doesn't have any reference pictures. So that mushroom he describes as being edible might not be the same one as you're actually eating. Plus it's very generic in that it deals with tropics and arctic and such. But as a good all rounder I enjoy it a lot.

His surviving a Nuclear Holocaust chapter is succinct: "I don't want anyone, anywhere to believe a nuclear war is suvivable: if you think that, you might go ahead and have one!"

So I guess that means the post apocolyptic shoulder pads, Lord Humungus studded codpiece can stay in the loft then. :D.

I have two Ray Mears books. One I bought recently on ebay which I'll be collecting next week when I visit the UK.

Last edited:

paolo

Life Member
Dec 30, 2009
Veneto, Northeastern Italy
Ray Mears Survival handbook is probably my favourite one too, probably because it was the first one that I have read on this subject.
It was after watching Ray Mears tv shows that I started reading books to build up some kind of knowledge around my love for the outdoor living, so I think I owe a lot to that man.. :lmao:

Last edited:

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
Just won one on ebay. £28.01. I was the only bidder until 50 seconds till end then 1 other bid but I won. Was it one of you?

That's a fairly good price, a few years back they went for silly money! I hope you enjoy it, I think you'll find it an excellent book to read and the descriptions of the skills are very well written. Obviously, his choice in equipment has changed somewhat over the years, but it is nice to see what he used to recommend and how it differs from his current suggestions!

slamdunk

Nomad
Sep 21, 2006
Sussex
Agree with RM's first book - published 1990 and reprinted 95 - when you consider he was in his twenties when he wrote it, it's inspiring stuff. Mors Kochanski's Bushcraft also excellent - many similarities.

No one book will do it all though; way too big a subject area.

Only word of caution - avoid any of Tom Brown's in my opinion; absolute drivel and not worth the paper......

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Only word of caution - avoid any of Tom Brown's in my opinion; absolute drivel and not worth the paper......

Oh, I dunno about that!!

Ripping Yarns/Michael Palin's version of Tom Brown's schooldays was pretty good.

Is that my taxi? I'll get my coat. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE