Berry picker comp registration

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
I've finished two and they sure are ugly! I'll post pictures tomorrow - it's just as well I wasn't too desperate to win the prize.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Sorry to be a pain, but, i've just got back from abroad and have found out i'm now running the folks BandB for the next 2 weeks so chances of me having any time to do fun stuff are virtually nil.
Looks like i'm going to have to drop out, sorry! :(
Baggins

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
Here are my two entries.
The rustic one is made from willow shoots which I dried out and then soaked. I split a few but used most as they were. It isn't beautiful but it is made.
The other one was just a thought that popped into my head and with plastic bottles as common as willow in most woods it is much faster to make. Neither is great but they'll add to the competition (I hope)

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
The pins ar meant to keep the berries centered and hopefully puch them towards the edge which knocks them off.
Also I'm bad at making stuff and this was the first thing I've even woven!
The evenk berry picker seems to be pretty good without any pikey bits tho.....

torjusg

Native
Aug 10, 2005
Telemark, Norway
livingprimitively.com
sam_acw said:
The pins ar meant to keep the berries centered and hopefully puch them towards the edge which knocks them off.
Also I'm bad at making stuff and this was the first thing I've even woven!
The evenk berry picker seems to be pretty good without any pikey bits tho.....

Again, I like your ideas. Definately.

The Evenk berry picker works by hitting the ling hard and hit off the berries, so it doesn't need spikes. I made one of birch bark last year, It worked well, but I used fresh materials so it came loose after drying.

But maybe one could use an empty plastic can and make it into an Evenk berry picker?

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I'll be off work from today until the 15th march which is the end of the competition.
I don't usually go on the internet when I'm off very much becuase I'm out and about doing stuff so if anyone has pictures of their berry pickers to post go ahead and I'll sort out the voting/poll thingy next week.

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
Ok heres my berry picker entry.
The disks of wood which hold it all together are Beech wood and the prongs are kabab skiewers. Ive made a tutorial on how i made it, Do you want to see it?

berry2.jpg

berry1.jpg

berry.jpg

Hope you like it

Jon

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I have taken some better pictures of my willow and rawhide entry.
berrypicker%20002.jpg
berrypicker%20004.jpg

As you can probably guess the berries are 'prop' berries bought from ASDA which are now in two bottles of whisky with some maple sryup and in 6 months to a year (if I can keep my hands off them;) ) I will be drinking blueberry or blackberry whisky:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE