Berry picker competition

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
After the excitement of British Red's excellently organised 'Build a Bucksaw competition' and while we await the winner with anticipation, I thought I'd ask if anybody is up for a 'Build a berry picker competition'. There seems to have been a bit of interest in this tool after it was featured on RM's wild food programme so does anyone fancy the challenge? I've never seen one before till I saw it on the programme and fancy having a go. Anyone else up for it?
I don't mind taking on the organisation as BR did for the bucksaws but please sort out your own photo's either in the gallery or in the thread. I'm really pants with photo's and computers :eek:
I like the idea of these 'make and show' threads and it gives folks ideas and make's them get on with it if there is a deadline, and who cares if you don't win, you've ended up with a functional tool.............hopefully :(
I thought about a deadline of say mid-march 15th so that gives peeps about 6 weeks............... So what are people's thoughts?

Reactions: British Red

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I can't find any pictures but the best way I can describe it is like a cup or tumbler made from wire. The cup part I suppose must be fine enough that the berries don't fall through. Around the rim, prongs extend like outstretched fingers and pluck the berries from the bush as the cup's moved along a branch. I'm sure it's not the best description, but I hope it helps.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
torjusg said:
It don't have to be of metal does it?

If not, then I am in.

No , I suppose it can be of whatever materials you like.

I'll have to think of something to offer as a prize and get back to you. Remember it's just little old me, so it won't be a new landrover defender or anything too fantastic. I'll have a sort through my kit and see what I can find. The main prize will be the kudos of 'champion berry gatherer making person'...........and of course you'll have yourself a self-made berry gatherer and self made stuff is best :You_Rock_

Reactions: Justin Time

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Reading another thread, reminded me I've got a spare Mini Maglite AAA brand new still in the packaging so I'll donate that as a prize. I've got one already and bought an LED conversion kit last year for it................ Sooooooo, if that's acceptable, I'm willing to donate that as a prize. (just the torch not the LED conversion)

tanto

May 29, 2005
Sweden
Here is some inspiration,

Common swedish design on a berrypicker:
barplockare1.jpg

150_5044-4.jpg

Siberian Bitok, made from birch bark:
http://www.forntidateknik.z.se/IFT/bitok/bitok.htm

You can translate the site on the following link:
http://www.systransoft.com/

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
jon r said:
How far do the prongs need to be apart?

Ask me one on tennis :confused:

That's sort of the idea. Hardly anyone had even heard of these before they saw them on RM's programme. You think about it, design it , make it and post your pictures and give a write up about why you made it like you did.

clcuckow

Settler
Oct 17, 2003
Merseyside, Cheshire
I'm in, I think I have some photos somewhere of some traditional cranberry (dry) pickers from the ocean spray cranberry world (museum) in Plymouth MA but it is that long since that holiday that I cannot remember if it was before I went digital.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE