Bernie Garland Woodsman B&T

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
We (The NIBA) were VERY fortunate to be on the receiving end of a most generous gift from Barnie Garland and Scruff. We received matching Woodsman B&T knives from Bernie and fine leather sheaths from Scruff. Below are some pictures and a review of them.
Please note. Bernie nor Scruff have asked any of the NIBA for a review of their products, nor payment nor any form of endorsement what so ever. I do not wish for any backlash of this review by anyone who dislikes Bernie and who thinks I'm dishonestly "bigging him up" because he has given me a gift.

Here are 3 of the knives (4 were made)
SANY1216.jpg

And again
SANY1217.jpg

Details of the blades, which were engraved with our user names.
SANY1218.jpg

Handles were of stunning stabilised Box Elder burr. the blade is 3mm 01 tool steel. Blade length is 105mm, with the handle an additional 110mm
SANY1219.jpg

Some more handle detail.
SANY1220.jpg

It was a VERY wet day here (though not nearly as bad as in some areas of the UK) so I undertook a short review of the knife in my workshop.

First up was a spot of light battening, which the knife had no problems with
SANY1231.jpg

The knife has quite a high grind (9mm), which leaves the tip quite fine. I had a little bit of concern about how this would cope with battening and of course, making a hole in some wood. It was fine at this, though to coin a phrase,"I wouldn't go opening a tin of paint with it"
I did discover, to my cost, that bernie's knives come VERY sharp. I choked up on the blade to carve the hole, placed my thumb against the sharp edge, and simple pressure, not a slicing action, was enough to open my thumb up and release the red stuff.

SANY1233.jpg

15 minutes later and with a bandaged thumb, I made some feather sticks. With the finer blade of 3mm and a good sharp edge, these were easy to do.

SANY1236.jpg

A power cut through thumb thick green willow was easily achieved.
SANY1237.jpg

I carved a pot hanger from the willow branch. The fine tip made tasks like this very easy to do.
SANY1238.jpg

SANY1239.jpg

After a bit of carving, I went back to battening again, this time a long piece of wood.
SANY1241.jpg

SANY1242.jpg

I referred earlier to the fine tip on this knife, so I decided to see what it was good for. Apart from the obvious fact that this knife will make an excellent food prep knife, eg. skinning and gutting, I wanted to see if the fine tip was useful for carving.
I made some curves.....
SANY1244.jpg

SANY1246.jpg

Then had a go at cutting a circle. Easily done with a fine sharp tip.
SANY1247.jpg

Every knife needs a home, and where better to keep it than some fine leather work by Scruff.

SANY1248.jpg

SANY1251.jpg

Detail of the belt attachment.
SANY1249.jpg

And after all that work, I gave the knife a few strokes on a sharpening steel and it was razor sharp again. It was able to slice paper with little effort.
SANY1253.jpg

Overall impressions? I think it's a very good knife. It is a shape that I have liked for a long time and the handle suits my hand extremely well. I personally prefer the 3mm blade that this knife has over the thicker 4mm blades that seem to be the Bushcraft norm. I believe that this makes a much more versatile blade with only the smallest compromise on strength. very few us us will ever brake a knife of this thickness and if we do, then it wasn't the right tool for the job anyway.
Highly recommended.

Siberianfury

Native
Jan 1, 1970
mendip hills, somerset
Nice one mate,
The woodsman B&T is an amazing knife, ive used all sorts from moras to woodlores and this design in my opinion worked better for bushcraft tasks than any of them, its a very very good design that i will continue to use and carry.
The sheaths are awsome too, you lads have some knives to be cherished and used for life there.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Great review.

Lovely knives you got there.

This design is superb although I opted for Bernies bushy design after having the normal woody clone he makes.

The B&T will be next.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Good review. Looks a really useful knife. great sheath too.

I saw the pics of them before bernie sent them out, love the mosaic pins.

Last edited:

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
I like this knife and Scruff makes a mean sheath.

3mm blades are great for bushy crafts and make many of them easyer than chunkyer knifes. The blade shape is spot on, and that handle looks the biz.

Nice review, Cheers.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
Excellent review mate, Bernie is a top class knife maker his stuff is amazing , The sheath's are awesome really beautiful work ... well done

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
V nice! They look a little like the Skookum Bush Tool (but without the metal end cap), and certainly seem to have the same practical capabilities - lovely work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE