Bergen reccomendation

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
I am looking at a good bergen for bushcraft

Have a 100ltr PLCE at th emoment in olive and it is good for size but not very comfy

Have seen the Karrimor range but have no experiance of th elarger versions ( like my 45ltr one though )

What do others use and why ?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Personally Steve I went from a plce to a vulcan cyclops to a Sabre 75 which I don't think I'll be changing now. By far the comfiest pack I've ever used fully loaded or not.

Some say they are heavy but the extra weight in the back system makes it worthwhile for me.

If you're ever over Leeds way you're welcome to try mine on.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I sold rucksacks at Blacks and the scout shop for years.
and i have 20 plus years outdoors experience.

in my opinion civilian rucksacks will without any doubt Always be more comfortable and will have the mod-cons than surplus sacks(or copies).

Surplus versions (if new) will be very tough! they may outlast you! but will be less comfortable.

the danger with huge sacks 80l+ is that you will want to fill them, and military ones tend to have space to add even more on the outside.

my best advice is try loads of different sorts, Berghaus and Karrimor are a good start point, It's worth noting that PLCE Bergens took it's design from Berghaus rucksacks(like the Vulcan)! it's also worth trying some dirt cheap ones just so you can see the difference, (usually fabric and stitching quality)!

we used to sell "cheap" rucksacks at the shops for £60, the sales took them down to £30, then £15 and guess what we were still making a profit!...
some fell apart and were bought back and it cost more to get them fixed than the bags actually cost! so we cut off the buckles and sold them instead!:rolleyes:

which do i use for the last 15 years or so? (I've tried them all)
Olive PLCE bergen, and Large US ALICE(with frame).

PLCE in winter (more waterproof but it gives you a hot back)
ALICE in summer (loads of air flow but not as waterproof)

when it comes down to it, it's your choice, but try as many as you can!

m.durston

Jun 15, 2005
st albans
i personally use a berghaus vulcan because the quality and fit is outstanding but as rappleby said try as many as you can!
a lot of outdoor shops now do a fitting service for rucksacks/bergens like they do for hiking boots.
i cheekily went into my local cotswolds and pretended i was in the market for a berghaus vulcan and spent 20 mins with the salesguy finding the right size frame for me:)
he even had bean bag type weights to put in so we could gauge how it would fit with a decent weight in it.
i then went on ebay and found a vulcan brand spanking new with tags in the right size for £80!!!
its really important to try out different rucksacks as what will be ok for me might not be right for you.

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com

Have a 100ltr PLCE at th emoment in olive and it is good for size but not very comfy

Hi Steve,

I use a Berghaus Cyclops II Vulcan and find it to be fantastic and very comfy. It's important with fixed back length rucksacks such as the Vulcan and the issue PLCE Bergan to get the correct back length as you probably know. I like the Vulcan for several reasons

1. It's simple no whistles and bells no extra straps.

2. I really like fixed back length sacks again simple nothing to break or go out of adjustment. No holes and crannies to fill with snow. It's not overly padded but I find that just fine.

3. The removable Side pouches are great I'd say the issue PLCE side pouches are a bit stronger especially on the closure Zips than the Berghaus ones but then you can use the Berghaus ones without having to have a side pouch yoke.

4. With the RV-OPS 3rd Side pouch mod the Bergan will carry 120-130 ltrs worth of kit more than enough for most mortals.

5.The Bergbuckle waist strap buckle is probably the finest waist strap closure of any rucksack I've ever used.

I'd advise you based on my experience to stay clear of Large Alice Packs and SAS/Para Bergens as they basically take all the weight on the shoulder straps. However both are as tough as old boots and if you're not planning on walking that far they might be an option.

I'd also advise looking out for an older Berghaus Bergen such as a Cyclops Roc or a Crusader. These use the old original Cyclops Back system and again if you select the right back length are very comfortable bergens and again tough as old boots. They're also as cheap as chips on Ebay you get a lot of Bergen for not much outlay.

I've used Karrimor Sacs particularly the Alpinste range which I believe the Sabre 75 is based on. Good products but they felt significantly more fragile than a Berghaus Product. However my Alpinste 45 is still going strong after 15 years of use.. For my tastes based on reviewing the Sabre 75 etc they seem to have lots of whistles and bells. Totally the opposite of the Vulcan.

If you do not mind having something that's not green then I'd also say the Macpac range of Rucksacks are superb... I've used a Pursuit Classic quite a bit and it's been very good.

Hope the above helps..

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Tasmanian Tiger Pathfinder Pack. Excellent hip-support system, adjustable back, comfy for heavy loads over long range. Can interfere with belt kit but not a problem for bushcraft/backpacking use.

Just don't look at the price.... : eek :

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
Vulcans are getting a good vote here so anybody know where I can find one in the North West preferably as people have said a few to try the size

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I too would vote for the Vulcan, recently bought it from endicotts(no connection etc etc) and its already my prefered bag( ive got a sabre 45/and a 80-130) plus various civiy types but i find the fit of the vulcan especially the hip belt and buckle to be great, the one ive got is old and well used grade1, but if i ever replace it it will be with a brand new vulcan definately wish id got one earlier.

cappi

Life Member
Nov 15, 2008
hautes pyrenees,france

Have seen the Karrimor range but have no experiance of th elarger versions ( like my 45ltr one though )

What do others use and why ?

hi i use a black hawk sof pack it has a external frame for me top,the plce pack are very hit and miss,macpac are very good also i use one guideing,but it could be your lucky day as i have a very comfortable top of the range jack wolf skin surplus to reguirements,it is 80 +15 ltr all the bells and whistles,very good porting heavy weights,pm if intreasted i will e-mail phots,cappi

Karl5

Life Member
May 16, 2007
Switzerland
Hi Steve,

I use a Berghaus Cyclops II Vulcan and find it to be fantastic and very comfy. It's important with fixed back length rucksacks such as the Vulcan and the issue PLCE Bergan to get the correct back length as you probably know. I like the Vulcan for several reasons

1. It's simple no whistles and bells no extra straps.

2. I really like fixed back length sacks again simple nothing to break or go out of adjustment. No holes and crannies to fill with snow. It's not overly padded but I find that just fine.

3. The removable Side pouches are great I'd say the issue PLCE side pouches are a bit stronger especially on the closure Zips than the Berghaus ones but then you can use the Berghaus ones without having to have a side pouch yoke.

4. With the RV-OPS 3rd Side pouch mod the Bergan will carry 120-130 ltrs worth of kit more than enough for most mortals.

5.The Bergbuckle waist strap buckle is probably the finest waist strap closure of any rucksack I've ever used.

What johnboy said.

One more vote for the Vulcan after 15 years of only good experience from using one.
Just make sure you get the correct size for your back length. It does pay off to go try out the different sizes in a shop before you spend your cash.

/ Karl

PLCE for me but maximum distance on a regular basis I carry is 5K so the less than perfect comfort is bearable.

I reckon 90% of top end walking sacks get put on the back to carry from the house to the car then from the car to the pitch, probably under 500M from the vehicles. Comfort is nice but the "old trusty" probably does the job for most people.

D

dakrido

i just ordered a vulcan myself.
on the site where i bought it, they don't merntion any sizes though...
i loved the i tried a long time ago, but don't remember anything regarding sizes...
anyone any idea?

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
I have an Arc'Teryx Bora 95. Top pack. Comfy under heavy load. Arc'Teryx also has a military line, for the OD inclined.

Also, I've heard only good stuff about Kifaru packs.

Mike

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
i loved the i tried a long time ago, but don't remember anything regarding sizes...
anyone any idea?

Vulcans come in 4 sizes depending on your height, so for example I am 5ft 10 so need a size 3 .

Some very usefull info on the web
May be sorted now with a bit of luck !!!!!

j.dee69

Mar 7, 2009
Lancashire
Hi Steve, give tamarack a try as your in lancs they have some great gear there and the staff are more than helpfull. have a look at there web site.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
I wanted a size 4 when i ordered mine from endicotts, but they very very rarely get them in, after alot of measuring and phone calls(kevin was very helpful) i went for a size 3 which fits me fine im 6'3''

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
anyone any idea?

OK IIRC the old Cyclops Back system which was on the Crusader and Cyclops Roc sacks among others came in 3 sizes. My old Roc was a 3 and the Cyclops Guide I currently use for climbing is a 3 and it fits perfectly. With the Introduction of Cyclops II Berghaus introduced an extra back size so now the sizing runs 1-4 with 4 being the longest back I'm also 6'3" and take a 4.

If you're buying via ebay etc then get the vendor to check the little white tag sewn onto the Bergen by the grab handle on the back of the sack the size is on there. A lot of Army guys buy a Bergen with a shorter back than normal as it sits above webbing / belt order so the longer sizes can be in short supply. For bush craft / hiking you want the back length that fits you correctly as the waist belt shares the load between your hips and shoulders. Unless you wear webbing then you'll probably need a shorter back...

The PLCE bergen comes in long and short versions.. It's back system is based on the Original Cyclops system but IMHO not as good.

The best back system on a British issued Bergen is the Airtex back on the Field Pack Air Support Back. This is a limited issue Bergen in DPM only with a whole host of small outer pockets and the ability to add 3 PLCE side pouches to it. Total capacity about 130 ltrs and reasonably costly for an issued bit of kit... The Vulcan is a better choice especially with the 3rd Side pouch Mod done to it.

Hope this diatribe helps someone....

Cheers

John

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE