Bell Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Aug 30, 2006
Oundle
I would like advice / tips.

I am going to buy a 'tipi' style tent, the Bison Tundra was my first choice, what does anyone think of the Bell tents at outdoorcode. This will be a family tent and carried around in a car so the weight isn't too much of an issue.

ta

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I bought one of these a few months back http://www.armytents.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=32 and the fly sheet http://www.armytents.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=33

Not that cheap granted but cheaper than some models of the bushcraft tipi's.
I've only used it once and definately only for family/vehicle camping. It rained heavily when I used it and it performed excellently with plenty of room to shelter under without distubing the sleeping area campbeds. Fairly easy to put up with 2 people. The fly sheet is excellent with a good gap between the tent and sheet and stayed completely dry in very heavy rain. Very roomy. Excellent choice for a family and so much nicer than the modern poly tents. I love it except it does weigh a bit and takes up a bit of room in the car, but when it's up and and you've got your kit inside it's great. I had several people come over and comment on it asking where I got etc as it's just like the old scouting tents.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I bought one of these a few months back http://www.armytents.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=32 and the fly sheet http://www.armytents.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=33

Not that cheap granted but cheaper than some models of the bushcraft tipi's.
I've only used it once and definately only for family/vehicle camping. It rained heavily when I used it and it performed excellently with plenty of room to shelter under without distubing the sleeping area campbeds. Fairly easy to put up with 2 people. The fly sheet is excellent with a good gap between the tent and sheet and stayed completely dry in very heavy rain. Very roomy. Excellent choice for a family and so much nicer than the modern poly tents. I love it except it does weigh a bit and takes up a bit of room in the car, but when it's up and and you've got your kit inside it's great. I had several people come over and comment on it asking where I got etc as it's just like the old scouting tents.

Nice tent FR, really nice. You can still get the 'old scout tents' and they work well also. I've a mate who is a fellow stove collector, and he uses two of them (the Icelandic or Niger?) and really camps in style :)

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Nice tent FR, really nice. You can still get the 'old scout tents' and they work well also. I've a mate who is a fellow stove collector, and he uses two of them (the Icelandic or Niger?) and really camps in style :)

Thanks rik.

The fly sheet can also be used as a stand alone, as some shade in the summer, say if your having a barbie in the garden.
I think it would match your family camping requirements perfectly sulehay except as I say the negatives are weight, and a bit pricey, but with correct maintenance/ treatment/storage it should last for years :)

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
I have a belltent very similar to the outdoorcode one. Its great, a really pleasing circular space . I have made both Tipi and Yurt in the past both 16 ft diameter and they are time consuming to make or costly to buy and rather cumbersome to transport. I now advise people interested in either to also look at the advantages of the bell tent first.. Much cheaper to buy and easier to transport but retaining that attractive space.. Not backpackable but if you are using vehicles superb..

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
I have a belltent very similar to the outdoorcode one. Its great, a really pleasing circular space . I have made both Tipi and Yurt in the past both 16 ft diameter and they are time consuming to make or costly to buy and rather cumbersome to transport. I now advise people interested in either to also look at the advantages of the bell tent first.. Much cheaper to buy and easier to transport but retaining that attractive space.. Not backpackable but if you are using vehicles superb..

Jura how do bell tents stand up to windy weather or when it's bucketing down ? can they cope with it when it gets rough ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE