Being PC....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
and how about the guy that shot an intruder in a farm in the fenns...
the intruder wanted to claim damages cause he was shot ! :eek: :1244:

what is going on!..... :(

my new country will be based on a small volcanic island in the middle of the atlantic! women will be there by order! (only joking :lmao: )

My wife and i have been happily married for 7 years now, yet we have to fill out forms for family allowance or whatever, "marriage" is not a word used on documents any more! we have to put "we are living together".....but we're married... honest we've got the certificate an everything.... :(

in a way i sort of wish i'd lived in victorian times before this all started.
and boy were they bad times for most people!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
d'you know even though i've not offended anyone, apart from "girl scouts", ooh erm (don't offend the boys) or should that be scouts or "people scouts"......AAAGGGHHH :AR15firin

:240:
anyway as i say, even though i've not offended anyone, i'm sort of thinking this thread will be locked, "just incase"!
nothing against the Mod's or BCUK i understand they have to be careful, it's just a shame we don't live in a free country any more!

crofter

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 3, 2004
UK
Rappleby2000

this may be off the point slightly but you need cheering up. I heard this song sung recently at a concert by Diarmuird O'Leary and the Bards and you post reminded me of it.....

Mother Tongue

Do you remember the day that if you said that you were gay

It meant with joy that you could sing and shout

A fairy was enchanting and dressing up and camping

Was something you did with the scouts

That care free age when an urgent case of aids

Was powdered milk we sent to the Sahara

A fruit was something nice to eat a poof was something for your feet

And a queen was an old tart in a tiara

Chorus:

Ah look what we've done to the old mother tongue

It's a crime the way we've misused it

It's been totally tis woggled, crumb and blonged and golly woggled

And we've strangled, mangled frangled and abused it

Ah those far off times when a bong meant a chime

And a buzz was a noise insecticidal

And joint was something between bones and getting really stoned

Only happened to bad people in the Bible

When if you had a bad trip it meant you fell and broke your hip

Cold turkey just meant Christmas at Aunt Dottie’s

Coke was something that you burned; a smack was something that you earned

From your mumzie wumzie when you had been naughty

Chorus

The years have gone I'm afraid when only eggs got laid

And only the rhinoceros got horny

Only kangaroos jumped and only camels humped

Getting stuffed meant a little taxidermy

Swing was for trapezes and Tarzan's chimpanzees

Tossing off was something Scotland did with cabers

Now it means something quite obscene

And heavy ugly scene is any movie starring Arnold Schwarzenegger

Chorus

Chorus

Ade

richardnhunt

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2006
Surrey
Througouly agree that there is a lot of old ****, where common sense seems to have been ruled out

but.....

As someone involved in running scouts these days - I have to say that "boy scouts" is so often followed by comments like "dib dub dib" (if anyone knows what thats all about, please enlighted me!) that it does get a trifle boring.

In terms of girls in the group - well I was cynical, put it off for ages and didn't like the idea. Now we have them - would never ever go back. They bring a real vibrancy, as well as a desire to push forward - just like the lads really.

World's changed a great deal since BP's time - suffrage, equal ops, all the rest - don't think that many of them were a bad idea.

Finally, about single pitch award and such like - well my sport is kayaking and generally getting wet in boats. You can self teach, but before I or anyone else lets you near a group of kids that cannot assess the risk themselves, we won't to know you are safe. We do this through National Governing Body awards. If you have self taught right - not an issue you will pass easily.- but I don't think that anyone of us wants to send our kids out with someone who says they know what they are doing but.....(I'll leave you guys to read things like the Lyme bay report.) (p.s. not meant personally - sure you guys are fine - but I have run into one or two over the years!!) :(

:D Sorry, all got a bit serious - I agree with your underlying points - p.c. - load of waffle. Ignore it and it may go away!! Challenge it where you can. oh - and i wont be offended if you call us boy scouts - just try to remember we are the largest co-ed youth organisation in this country and we provide for over 400,000 kids - getting them out doing things like bushcraft! :D

Rich

bogflogger

Nomad
Nov 22, 2005
london
In the interests of trying to keep this thread open (rather than it being a platform for ranting inaccurate "facts" regarding recent events).

I have got to say, that I am extremely concerned about the Cavalier attitude towards the safety of young people that you have a Legal "Duty of Care" for, whilst involved in Outdoor Activities.

It is about time, that the Scouting movement was made to operate within the same Safety Regulations that all other Outdoor Activity Centres have to conform with.

It is Rediculous that young people are regularly put at risk needlessly, by well meaning Leaders, without Formal Outdoor Activity Qualifications.

The same is true of not providing Adequete Safety Equipment (which would get an Outdoor Activity Centre shut down and Prosecuted).

There is simply NO excuse for not providing Helmets, Harnesses, Gloves, Bouyancy Aids, Etc, when involved in Outdoor Activities, Particularly when you should be setting an example of "Best Practice" to the young people in your care.

If you do not have the Appropriate Qualified Leaders, or do not have the Correct Safety Equipment available, then you should NOT be practicing these Activities.

The NGB websites:

http://www.mltb.org/

http://www.bcu.org.uk/bcu/bcu-standardtemplate1.aspx

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
BOD said:
But he died in 1883!

Or did you mean Groucho? :)

On another matter, am I to understand that while the Boy Scouts are now mixed Scouts the Girl Guides are still all girl?

Marxist's I meant to say :blush:
idealistic cultural Marxism = Political Correctness

A child of five would understand this. Send someone to fetch a child of five.
Groucho Marx :lmao:

sxmolloy

Mar 22, 2006
lancashire, north west england
why is flying the english flag so frowned upon by some people?

why can muslim women wear headscarves covering their faces when they go to a bank, but a motorcyclist has to remove his helmet?

these are another 2 points i would like to raise, but as mentioned above the mod's may close this thread before something is said, fair enough, i think i have said as much as i dare without deliberatly offending any-one.

thanks for the chance to rant rappleby, but non of my posts relate to bushcraft in the slightest :eek: so i will leave it here. tadpole thanks for clarifiying the points i raised, as i said i didnt follow the stories that closely and only know a little learnt from the evening news, which lets face it can be a little sketchy at times.

any hoo cheers guys....oh and girls :) ....stu

richardnhunt

Tenderfoot
Jun 3, 2006
Surrey
bogflogger said:
It is about time, that the Scouting movement was made to operate within the same Safety Regulations that all other Outdoor Activity Centres have to conform with.

It is Rediculous that young people are regularly put at risk needlessly, by well meaning Leaders, without Formal Outdoor Activity Qualifications.

The same is true of not providing Adequete Safety Equipment (which would get an Outdoor Activity Centre shut down and Prosecuted).

There is simply NO excuse for not providing Helmets, Harnesses, Gloves, Bouyancy Aids, Etc, when involved in Outdoor Activities, Particularly when you should be setting an example of "Best Practice" to the young people in your care.

If you do not have the Appropriate Qualified Leaders, or do not have the Correct Safety Equipment available, then you should NOT be practicing these Activities.

Absolutely - but as a scout instructor you need to have the appropriate NGB level to recieve a permit for that activity. No permit, no activity. Absolute rule. Of course asll this costs money (1 set of kayaking gear is likely to set you back £600; getting one kayak coach qualified is likely to cost a group at least £300 + the individual needs to contribute a fair amount of time.) Bear in mind that the average net subs from 1 child will be around £50 so 1 coach= the entire contribution from 6 scouts.
If you would like to support this, please donate at http://www.scoutbase.org.uk/hq/donations/general.php or if you would like to help a really deserving group on the Surrey/London borders (not that I'm biased in any way!!) http://www.justgiving.com/warspite or http://www.warspite.org.uk/

Seagull

Settler
Jul 16, 2004
Gåskrikki North Lincs
Folks, IMO, (just had to put that bit in :lmao: ) the Mods have shown a great restraint with this thread.

The thread topic, (topic) has doubtless rang sympathetic with many.

Thing is, people, although its an Off-Topic thing; folk are going to look at it and wonder , some, just why the members offtimes come across as being a bit large, disputative(?) and argumentive. I do think that it is sometimes too easy to forget that anything one posts, on a group forum, will form part of the perception that viewers will have, of that forum.

Come on people!... Its Saturday morning and the woods will be wondering where we,ve all got to. . the day,s a-wasting.

Ceeg

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
sxmolloy said:
why is flying the english flag so frowned upon by some people?
sxmolloy said:
Did you hear that the english flag is possibly to be replaced? St George is to be superceded by St Alban, an altogether less warlike fella. Next they will try try to take our Welsh Dragon off us as it comes across as nasty!!!!

I aslo work with kids - every day. I have no problem being safe ( I teach in a workshop) and proving I am safe, but risk assessments become a task in themselves, they are no longer a document to reduce risk, but to cover your back. If you have an accident and you've filled in the form, generally your back is covered. Where is the benefit in that?

Has being PC replaced plain good manners and a genuine concern for the health and happiness of others?

grumit

Settler
Nov 5, 2003
guernsey
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
the thing that really bugged me is this:

girls tried for ages to get into scouts( :eek: on thin ice here aren't I!) and eventually got in, i accept that, i don't have a problem with it.

the problem i do have is all the faff that came with it, from a simple single sex camp, now a male and female leader need to be present, seperate facilities etc.
twice as many leaders twice the equipment twice the faff!

and have you ever heard of a boy doing the oposite?

a boy joining Guides? nooo :nono: , that's not allowed is it!
cause Guides is a girls organisation,
well hang about wasn't scouts a boys organisation?

if anyone wants to join me i'll be starting my own country soon where all is how it was :D ;)

and it dosen't end there.....it's everywhere.. like a poison...
i have never herd of a boy in the guides but does an adult helper in the brownies count (i'm the only male helper in the brownies here in guernsey )

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
:rant:

i love getting all the washing out sometimes! :rant:

as you guys have shown thie list and issues go on! :(

I'm not sure but i think some time soon, the camels back will break, and all hell will break loose! :(

i have a 5 year old i can loan you! :lmao:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
have you noticed on forms:

I live in england I'm english
but I have to say I'm British

If' your scottish, Irish or welsh
you get to call your self,
scottish, Irish or Welsh.....how's that fair? :confused:

just to turn the tables a bit,
I did a child care course in !990 and yes most of the students were female ;) , but because i had an interest in looking after children, when i we went anywhere the males on the course were always seen as suspicious! :(

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
If the correct name of youth organisations and the type of headwear that you can wear into a petrol station are the only things you have to complain about then you either have no comprehension of what real social and political problems are or you are simply spoilt by our very comfortable and well managed country.

Try taking up residency in India or Africa for a true understanding of what a REAL problem is and just how truly insignificant the tiny minor annoyances which we whine and moan about so loudly about here in the UK really are.

Sometimes the British public really does appear to act like a spoilt child screaming the house down because he wants the yellow sweets not the red ones!

Now this is not the place for a political temper tantrum, so quit it!

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Yes Stuart,

We are VERY lucky in many ways, especially in this country, compared to so many others...

Nice to let people have a chance of blowing off a little steam at times, so long as it doesn't get out of hand too much....

LS

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
as i said, nothing against anyone on the forum, or anything to do with bushcraft just the way we have to live our lives!

did you know a european law was pased recently that if you want to eat a chicken that a farmer owns on his land (at an invited sunday lunch for example) the guest has to kill the bird them self!

also if you need to dispose of an ill or dead chicken, you cannot Burn and bury it which would be by far the safest thing to do!
you have to put it in household rubbish with the potentiall of contaminating the rubbish tip, trash lorry, any fox or rat that gets into the bag, which could then contaminate other wild animals, pets and back to humans!

wheres the sense?? :banghead:

risby

Forager
Jun 21, 2005
dorset, uk
RAPPLEBY2000 said:
as i said, nothing against anyone on the forum, or anything to do with bushcraft just the way we have to live our lives!

did you know a european law was pased recently that if you want to eat a chicken that a farmer owns on his land (at an invited sunday lunch for example) the guest has to kill the bird them self!

also if you need to dispose of an ill or dead chicken, you cannot Burn and bury it which would be by far the safest thing to do!
you have to put it in household rubbish with the potentiall of contaminating the rubbish tip, trash lorry, any fox or rat that gets into the bag, which could then contaminate other wild animals, pets and back to humans!

wheres the sense?? :banghead:

Can you quote references for this rubbish please?

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
all to do with the farmers European union or something, my father in law has a small holding and attempts to keep up with the constantly changing eruopean legistration, i shall try to find out!
i have a feeling it might be from a french background (from what he said).

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
Interesting read this one. Don't think its a political temper tantrum Stuart, just an observation of how times are changing. Being told or implied that we should change our ways, will affect people and I don't think there is any harm in talking about it (if it is kept civil). There are many scout leaders on here and they are at the sharp end of all this new legislation, red tape and being pc. I admire them for coping with it all and putting the kids first, I would of been gone a long time ago..........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE