Being PC....

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Well, the armed forces have gone to great lengths to eradicate racism, sexism and all that sort of thing, and we have yearly training packages that must be attended as well as the weapon handling tests, fitness tests, Annual Personal Weapons Test (APWT for short, making sure you can hit what you aim at!) and even persoanl hygiene!!

What I take away from this mandatory package is that to call a person of ethnic origin "coloured" is now deemed more offensive than calling them black, yellow or whatever colour of skin they indeed have. It would appear that we are now to call these people what was once frowned upon!! Therefore, I think black boards should still be called black boards, in case they get offended!!

Just as a side line, during the lecture all prejudice is asked to be forgotten and people are asked to freely name as many derogatory names for minority groups as they can think of. This includes people of ethnic origin, homosexuals and women to name a few (and gingers, god we get called all sorts!). After all of this, we are asked to give as many derogatory names as can be thought of for a straight, white male.

There aren't many, funny that, don't you think?

Nigel

Forager
Dec 6, 2003
Carmarthenshire
Well Stuart,

it looks like you have exercised your right to 'FREEDOM OF SPEECH'

And all I made was a comment on the freedom of speech and you threatened with being 'shown the door' if i so much as breathe, oh at least that's how it feels to me!!
As for folks living in a third world country, well you maybe should get out on our British streets, and talk to some of the homeless about flicking on their light switches. To them this is a third world country!!

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
No Nigel, I presented you with a hypothetical situation and suggested that you would not expect to freely exercise such freedom of speech as a guest in someone home without expecting to be asked to leave.

In public you may freely express your right to insult someone, but do it in their living room and they will exercise their right to ask you to leave.

You wouldn’t do it in someone else property, so you shouldn’t expect to be able to in here.

everyone here on BCUK (including myself) is a guest of Tony in his virtual property (sitting around his virtual fire so to speak) he is a very tolerant and gracious host and provided that you stick to his 'club house rules' and refrain from discussing politics and religion he will do his best to make you comfortable.

A simple request I think, as was my simple reply to your erroneous assertion that you had a right to freedom of speech here.

You didn’t do anything wrong, you broke no rules, but you did make a statement that was misleading to other members and required clarifying

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Nigel said:
As for folks living in a third world country, well you maybe should get out on our British streets, and talk to some of the homeless about flicking on their light switches. To them this is a third world country!!

an intresting thought, I wonder if they regard the laws pertaining to the disposel of ill/dead chickens or the correct head attire for petrol stations as their primary concerns?.......... nope I dont think so, as I said they have more real problems to worry about

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE