Beginners EDC fishing kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Some of the routes I have planned for the coming months take me along various bits of coast line, as well as a few nice rivers. Assuming I can persuade myself that I can justify the weight of the rod and reel. Can anyone recommend a set of lures/tackle that you think should be standard in a small compact EDC fishing kit? So far it contains a mackerel spinner, and what was sold as a salmon spinner, but I am assuming will work for other fish in both salt and fresh water? Any suggestions? What lure would you not live without?

Thanks

Julia

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Always go for a quality spinner and swivel, test the ones you have as there is nothing more annoying than walking to a fishing spot and finding your spinner just won't spin.

I'd take bubble float, a few bomb leads, rapala and mepps lures, and maybe some artificial worm/sand eel. You can use the bubble float for fresh water bait fishing and light leads for ledgering. Take some lighter line and spare hooks and shot for fresh water. Puddle chuckers are great still water floats.

Good luck!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Always go for a quality spinner and swivel, test the ones you have as there is nothing more annoying than walking to a fishing spot and finding your spinner just won't spin.

I'd take bubble float, a few bomb leads, rapala and mepps lures, and maybe some artificial worm/sand eel. You can use the bubble float for fresh water bait fishing and light leads for ledgering. Take some lighter line and spare hooks and shot for fresh water. Puddle chuckers are great still water floats.

Wow, rapala and mepps have a wide range. The phrase option paralysis comes to mind.

I am starting to think the tin I was going to use to carry an edc fishing set in is a bit optimistic. 62 x 50 x 17mm. Perhaps I should assemble the kit, then find the best container...

I have one of these - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/hobo-fish...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item19ede449ce

There is actually decent room in the hollowed out handle for a few bits, iv not had the chance to use it yet mind, and I'm definately not a fisherman lol, I got it to do a spot of ice fishing in Estonia but never actually got round to doing it.

Good in principle, but in the UK, it's illegal to fish in fresh water without the use of a rod. Rod wise I am thinking of getting one of the pen rods from penfishingrod.com, assuming I can get past the horrific website. The 90's called, they say we can keep the web design... My eyes...

J

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
Best survival fishing kit i have ever purchased was a NSN 4220-00-244-0764 which i believe is issued as part of the aircrew survival kit. A cheaper alternative is the BCB fishing kit as a basis which you then add a few more goodies too

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs

Good in principle, but in the UK, it's illegal to fish in fresh water without the use of a rod. Rod wise I am thinking of getting one of the pen rods from penfishingrod.com, assuming I can get past the horrific website. The 90's called, they say we can keep the web design... My eyes...

J

Oh wow, see I didn't even realise that lol!! Thanks for the info!! I guess that means iv bought an ornament to sit on the shelf!! At least it looks pretty
Lol

See what I mean, I'm definately not a fisherman!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Best survival fishing kit i have ever purchased was a NSN 4220-00-244-0764 which i believe is issued as part of the aircrew survival kit. A cheaper alternative is the BCB fishing kit as a basis which you then add a few more goodies too

I'm not after a survival fishing kit. Just a general fishing kit that I can carry with me when hiking. Nothing too fancy.

J

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Oh wow, see I didn't even realise that lol!! Thanks for the info!! I guess that means iv bought an ornament to sit on the shelf!! At least it looks pretty
Lol

See what I mean, I'm definately not a fisherman!!

Attach it to a stick, and you are quite legal (assuming rod license etc...). Note AFAIK this only applies to fresh water, in tidal water, anything goes, IIRC.

J

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
@ Quixoticgeek - Penfishingrod website isn't easy, but when you get through they are a great to deal with. Try emailing them telling them what you want - thats what I did and they were really responsive, helpful + gave lots of advice

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Hi Julia,

Sounds like you are doing your home work and have looked into the legalities, good on ya.

As a fisherman i would strongly recommend having a go if you fancy the idea of fishing, if you plan on using caught fish to supplement your diet though i would bring plenty of food "just in case"

I've been fishing most of my life and i still go long times without a catch, this with the local knowledge, experience and the best kit money can buy.
It's not unusual for me to have 4 or 5 rods and line in the water at any 1 time, some of those will be large beach casters with the ability to cast 150 to 200 yards.
I'll have various baits, from various live or dead baits to spinners, spoons, scent-enhanced plastic/rubber jigglers, kg's of groundbait/chum.

Still i can go a few trips without catching anything.

Thankfully it's not as overfished over there in the UK as it is here in Greece, but still i know experienced anglers that wouldn't rely on their daily meal from whatever they pull from the sea.

If you have very little experience fishing it's going to make it even more difficult.
What fish are you targeting
When is the best time to fish for your target fish
What's the best bait in that area at that time of the year
What sort of water depths are they eating
What tides are best
Some fish are a bit choosy about what time the eat, you could dangle a fish equivalent of a Gordon Ramsey 3 course meal and they'll not bite at certain times of the day.

You could get lucky, the kids pulled out 3 Gilthead seabream the last trip, that's 3 EACH, i didn't even get a bite :eek:, so sometimes lucks just on your side.

My point is, by all means take some fishing kit along if it's the act of fishing you plan to enjoy.
If your fishing purely for food though in all honesty i'd take some boil in the bag packets of food instead, as it'll take a LOT of time a LOT of patience and a LOT of luck to consistently catch enough for a days meal.

Even then some fish really do not make good eating, in some costal areas dog fish are extremely common and as they eat pretty much anything they're a common catch, sounds great but as they urinate through their skin it's better to take a few precautions when preparing them for the table, so you then have to add a knowledge of local fish to the list as well.

Don't want to put you off as fishing is a great way to pass some time, and the tastiest fish are the ones you've caught, prepared and cooked.
I just don't want you to have unrealistic expectations.

Cheers
Mark

N

Nomad

Good point from Mark about the lack of guarantees and the need to be prepared to do fishing for the sake of it, with any possible catch being a bonus. As I said in my own noob questions thread recently...

Today, I learned that fishing isn't necessarily the same as catching fish. I knew that already, but seemed to have forgotten.

I didn't consider the pen fishing rod (had forgotten about them). I just went out and got basic and cheap 'normal' fishing gear (based on what I could remember after a break of 40 years). In other words, something that I might choose to go fishing with in any case, but which is still light enough to strap to a backpack. That might imply that I wouldn't go fishing 'in any case' with a pen fishing rod, but in truth I don't think I could speak with authority on how it would compare with more conventional kit other than a feeling that the casting distance might be shorter. I'd guess that the reel capacities are smaller and maybe the handles thinner.

Another thing to consider is that most inland fishing requires a permit, and most permits outside of commercial fisheries are for a day or longer. That would mean, if backpacking on a long distance walk, that some sort of planning is needed to get the permits, and that a full day permit might be a bit expensive if only a couple of hours fishing is what is intended.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
By your comments that pen fishing rods aren't "normal," I take it you're not talking about this Penn company? www.pennfishingstore.com Not cheap, but some of the best fishing gear made.

Although Penn produce fishing rods, in this case Pen refers more to the size the rod collapses down to.

pen-shape-fishing-rods-pen-shape-fishing-rods-900x791.jpg

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I am starting to think the tin I was going to use to carry an edc fishing set in is a bit optimistic. 62 x 50 x 17mm. Perhaps I should assemble the kit, then find the best container...

For sea fishing I would take a couple of good quality feather rigs as they don't take up much room and are great for mackerel and other fish. They don't have to be too long, just three hooks, but you can use a weighted lure at the end, rather than a simple weight, to increase your chances.

As for lures I've yet to find expensive ones any better than cheaper ones. Something like this (the black/silver one) did well on mackerel last year: http://www.fishingmegastore.com/dennett-lead-fish-lures~12248.html and these have done well on bass (again, the black/silver one): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Storm-Pha...el-/150634446202?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Cool!!! Moby dick awaits lol

Now you're into whaling, which is a whole different kettle of fish... erm so to speak. It brings up two points

1: If you are planning on catching a whale on that hobo set, well, um, you may want some stronger line...

2: Not sure that's legal in the UK either, I know that the UK is a signatory to the IWC's ban on commercial whaling, but I don't know what the legal status is of whaling for personal use...

@ Quixoticgeek - Penfishingrod website isn't easy, but when you get through they are a great to deal with. Try emailing them telling them what you want - thats what I did and they were really responsive, helpful + gave lots of advice

That is useful to know. It's not going to be a purchase any time soon, as I have a few more important things on the shopping list first, like a new waterproof jacket (my current waterproof jacket is now just a jacket...), but the pen fishing site is top of the list for a pocket rod.

Hi Julia,

Sounds like you are doing your home work and have looked into the legalities, good on ya.

Insomnia + access to wikipedia... :p

As a fisherman i would strongly recommend having a go if you fancy the idea of fishing, if you plan on using caught fish to supplement your diet though i would bring plenty of food "just in case"

I have a 12 ft bass rod and reel set that I got and a box of lures and other tackle. Usually once per year I go and throw tackle into the sea, casting sacrifices to Rán...

One day maybe I'll catch something. Tho evidence so far is that this is wishful thinking...

I've been fishing most of my life and i still go long times without a catch, this with the local knowledge, experience and the best kit money can buy.
It's not unusual for me to have 4 or 5 rods and line in the water at any 1 time, some of those will be large beach casters with the ability to cast 150 to 200 yards.
I'll have various baits, from various live or dead baits to spinners, spoons, scent-enhanced plastic/rubber jigglers, kg's of groundbait/chum.

Still i can go a few trips without catching anything.

You have no idea how reassuring that is to hear. Being what felt like the only person on the Admiralty pier at Dover not to catch
mackerel a few years back was very disheartening. It's one thing to not catch anything, but another to be surrounded by people who are...

Thankfully it's not as overfished over there in the UK as it is here in Greece, but still i know experienced anglers that wouldn't rely on their daily meal from whatever they pull from the sea.

The main aim here is to amuse myself for a couple of hours in the evening when I've made camp, but it's not quite time to goto bed... not as a main source of food. Anything I catch is a big bonus.

My point is, by all means take some fishing kit along if it's the act of fishing you plan to enjoy.
If your fishing purely for food though in all honesty i'd take some boil in the bag packets of food instead, as it'll take a LOT of time a LOT of patience and a LOT of luck to consistently catch enough for a days meal.

Totally agreed. If I had to rely on my skills as a fisherwoman to survive, I think I may have actually just found a very effective diet regime...

Even then some fish really do not make good eating, in some costal areas dog fish are extremely common and as they eat pretty much anything they're a common catch, sounds great but as they urinate through their skin it's better to take a few precautions when preparing them for the table, so you then have to add a knowledge of local fish to the list as well.

Don't want to put you off as fishing is a great way to pass some time, and the tastiest fish are the ones you've caught, prepared and cooked.
I just don't want you to have unrealistic expectations.

Dog fish are very common round here. Never felt like eating one tho, they seem very unappetising...

By your comments that pen fishing rods aren't "normal," I take it you're not talking about this Penn company? www.pennfishingstore.com Not cheap, but some of the best fishing gear made.

No, we're talking about the 8" telescopic rod thingies.

For sea fishing I would take a couple of good quality feather rigs as they don't take up much room and are great for mackerel and other fish. They don't have to be too long, just three hooks, but you can use a weighted lure at the end, rather than a simple weight, to increase your chances.

Feathers are on my list already. I have a couple of packs in the existing tackle box. They are so light seems silly not to pack some.

As for lures I've yet to find expensive ones any better than cheaper ones. Something like this (the black/silver one) did well on mackerel last year: http://www.fishingmegastore.com/dennett-lead-fish-lures~12248.html and these have done well on bass (again, the black/silver one): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Storm-Pha...el-/150634446202?ssPageName=ADME:L:OU:GB:3160

OOh, I like those, will add them to the shopping list.

Thanks all

Julia

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE