Beginner Bushcraft Knife and Axe recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

minamoto

Aug 25, 2021
tyne & wear
Or by just stopping at home and watching TV you don’t need any of those. Just an iPad to call Uber eats.

You don’t really need a guitar to play cracking music either. But it’s far better than using a bottle half full with water or a triangle.
bit of silliness in your reply there.....of course instruments are required to play music....typical answer to a question theres no answer to...." is an axe required in the uk"......

Reactions: alphaburner

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
bit of silliness in your reply there.....of course instruments are required to play music....typical answer to a question theres no answer to...." is an axe required in the uk"......

We've already answered your question repeatedly - for how I work and relax in the woods in the UK Yes, Yes, and Yes. Just because your experience/interest is limited to what you can do with a thin bit of steel stuck in a piece of plastic does not mean that's all the rest of us can/want to do.

Actually, I think Jonathan has been very polite :)

I rarely rise to the bait on this forum; but I really am beginning to question whether you actually spend any time in the wilds - or maybe you just enjoy putting the cat among the pigeons :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
The best knife is the one you can actually use :)

I have moras, and I have many others too, from flint to Maker full tangs.

They're all good, but we have favourites, even if they're only the favourite for a while.
If I only had one knife then that would be it, but I don't, and it's kind of fun to get to grips with and the hang of a new one at times.

I don't just have one knife in my kitchen, I don't just have one knife for outdoor either.

M

Reactions: Spirit fish

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
moras though cheap are excellent knives.....the argument if not full tang is irrelevant.great steel...scandi grind.theyre made for use in harsh conditions.....conditions we will never..NEVER experience anywhere in the uk.use a knife what its DESIGNED for and a mora will hold its own with ANY knife.
I use moras I don't buy expensive gear I'm not into bushcraft for fashion points I just use what works any well made knife will be good and it doesn't have to be a £800 woodlore knife

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
We've already answered your question repeatedly - for how I work and relax in the woods in the UK Yes, Yes, and Yes. Just because your experience/interest is limited to what you can do with a thin bit of steel stuck in a piece of plastic does not mean that's all the rest of us can/want to do.

I rarely rise to the bait on this forum; but I really am beginning to question whether you actually spend any time in the wilds - or maybe you just enjoy putting the cat among the pigeons :)
Moras are good as long as you don't treat them like axes batoning ect the more expensive knives take a better beating but moras are good for the price that's my view

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Moras are good as long as you don't treat them like axes batoning ect the more expensive knives take a better beating but moras are good for the price that's my view

I don't disagree and, as I've said above, I use them to demonstrate/teach basic knife skills, but they would not last long the way I use a knife (which is just a tool for me). You can buy a full tang reasonable quality knife for not too much money - I don't, I make my own.

Spirit fish

Banned
Aug 12, 2021
Doncaster
I don't disagree and, as I've said above, I use them to demonstrate/teach basic knife skills, but they would not last long the way I use a knife (which is just a tool for me). You can buy a full tang reasonable quality knife for not too much money - I don't, I make my own.
yeh it's dependant on goals if there for just skinning game they last forever ,but if u use them to make bowdrill sets all the time they don't last long

minamoto

Aug 25, 2021
tyne & wear

i spend quiete a time wild camping....thats my point...i know for certain theres every conceivable size of twig branch...half tree just lying around...without having to split....just shave off the wet outer.and if by answering.......oh and by the way...my knife?......depends on what i take along??.....tops bob....bk2.....srk.....hardly a "thin piece of steel" if you know anything about knives that is???

Reactions: Spirit fish

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE