Beeswax?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
I swagged a few 100% beeswax candles much cheaply in TKMax. I wanted them to wax a bowstring. I was wondering if you can melt the wax and add oil to soften it for use as a wood polish. Would walnut oil be usable? I think turpentine is added to commercial polish but I'm allergic to that.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can melt it down and then add almost any oil you like so long as you've got the two to the same temperature. If you don't it won't mix well, there'll be lumps.
I generally use almond oil, never tried walnut. i just put the oil in it's bottle into a dish of just boiled water to raise it to temperature.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I can find recipes if you want ?? Tomorrow :)
I've got an old one that advises whale oil. Haven't tried that out ;)
Mostly they do use turpentine but there are other ingredients that can be added instead.

Is it real turpentine that you're allergic to ? or the substitute ? I can give you the real stuff if that's fine. The substitiute is horrible stuff.

cheers,
Toddy

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
I am allergic to the real stuff, but thank you so much for your kind offer Toddy. I'd be interested in any recipes if it's not any trouble.

Thanks!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE