DIY UCO candles

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bazzworx

Mar 5, 2009
North Wilts
Evening all, after dabbling in the past with making candles for my candle lantern and not having much success I thought I'd do some proper research and development. The main thing I was having problems with was tuning the wick. I'll mention now that I have only so far experimented with beeswax as this is something I have plenty of.

It would seem from looking online that no one who has made their own candles have mentioned which wick they have used. I went to a company called 4candles (no not fork handles) and bought a load of pre waxed wick samples. I then made my own silicone mould using a coke can and a genuine UCO candle. FYI if you try this you need about 350 grams of silicone, I only bought 250 and needed a bit more so as it stands my candles are a bit shorter than UCO ones.

So onto my findings.... The wickwell NT20 prewaxed wick is the perfect wick for use with beeswax, it gives exactly the same height flame as the genuine one and lasts about the same amount of time. The next size down the NT17 works but the flame is too small to be useful. The next size up is the NT23 works well with a larger flame (but not too large) but the burn time is reduced.

One thing I'd note is that it is critical for the wick to be central in the candle. I achieved this by using a wooden skewer in place of the wick when poring the wax into the mould then inserting the wick (with a sustainer) after.

Hope this is helpful to some one. I would have added pictures but I didn't take any during the process.

Cheers
Ben

Ch@rlie

Nomad
Apr 14, 2011
Felixstowe
Thanks for the info thats defo worth knowing,
I have one of the UCO candle lights some where, discovered on Joom website/ app you can still purchase the burner that goes inside them, didnt realise it was for the UCO candle light until I saw it shown in a picture during a video of someone making their own, saying you cant find them anymore. (until that moment I didnt know they existed)
But they are on Joom if you search for "Portable mini fuel lamp" price is about £4 plus vat free shipping depending on seller you find.
I have purchased one but have not used it yet.

Reactions: Bazzworx

MrEd

Life Member
Feb 18, 2010
Surrey/Sussex
www.thetimechamber.co.uk
I make my own uco candles out of beeswax and spent ages testing wicks to see which worked best. I can’t remember what size I settled on eventually - will have to have a look, if they aren’t 20s I will pick some up!

Thanks!
Ed

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have one of the UCO candle lights some where, discovered on Joom website/ app you can still purchase the burner that goes inside them, didnt realise it was for the UCO candle light until I saw it shown in a picture during a video of someone making their own, saying you cant find them anymore. (until that moment I didnt know they existed)
But they are on Joom if you search for "Portable mini fuel lamp" price is about £4 plus vat free shipping depending on seller you find.
A link and picture please, so I can see what you got, I am interested too

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Is this the type you mean?

Portable mini fuel lamp

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I shaped some aluminium foil around an original UCO candle.
Found a pack of handmade dinner candles,( I think they are tallow) melted them down & used the wick lightly tied at the top(pointy end)with the knot poking out & poured into mould.
They last about 4ish hours.

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Mine burns for around an hour and half, that's not quite full but I think it may do 2 hours, but I havent really timed it precisely.

I use the feuerhand lanterns that also run on paraffin, so it's all the same stuff, and I have a stash of candles just in case in a kitchen draw.

For spare wicks I use the zippo lighter branded ones, usually £1 at the market stalls, or 2 for £1 for the non zippo branded( look the same but haven't tried)

In terms of uses there a perfect mini light that I use in the evenings, sometimes I use citronella oil in it to keep the bugs away

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
Mine burns for around an hour and half, that's not quite full but I think it may do 2 hours, but I havent really timed it precisely.

I use the feuerhand lanterns that also run on paraffin, so it's all the same stuff, and I have a stash of candles just in case in a kitchen draw.

For spare wicks I use the zippo lighter branded ones, usually £1 at the market stalls, or 2 for £1 for the non zippo branded( look the same but haven't tried)

In terms of uses there a perfect mini light that I use in the evenings, sometimes I use citronella oil in it to keep the bugs away
thank you

i guessed around two [2] hours or so tbh

are they the hurricane-lamps by feurehand...??

that makes sense as they are readily available and affordable

i have a bundle of hemp-wick i can possible use plus access for paraffin

as for the zippo reference, in the zippo there is like cotton-ball-wool or similar that soaks up the fuel, could that principle be used which could also double up as fire starters...??

do the citronella-candles burn around the same time or longer...??

Decacraft

Jul 28, 2021
South Wales
Yeah I use the bigger storm lamps for main lighting and then the uco candle lanterns with the oil lamp internal for on tables/ desks for a little bit more light if needed, if that makes any sense?

They used to be a lot cheaper than they are now, as did the parrafin- it's almost doubled in price in the hardware stores.

I havent tried the wicking material, I figured I can't of been the only one to think of it, and it must not work as efficiently that's why it doesn't come as standard and nobody else has said about it? Maybe due to different fuel properties? It's not something I want to mess around with and end up with homemade napalm.

Yeah around the same time, I'll give them a proper test and report back the results just to be certain

knowledge=gain

Sent off- not allowed to play
Jun 25, 2022
england
Yeah I use the bigger storm lamps for main lighting and then the uco candle lanterns with the oil lamp internal for on tables/ desks for a little bit more light if needed, if that makes any sense?

They used to be a lot cheaper than they are now, as did the parrafin- it's almost doubled in price in the hardware stores.

I havent tried the wicking material, I figured I can't of been the only one to think of it, and it must not work as efficiently that's why it doesn't come as standard and nobody else has said about it? Maybe due to different fuel properties? It's not something I want to mess around with and end up with homemade napalm.

Yeah around the same time, I'll give them a proper test and report back the results just to be certain
i have rechargeable torches for inside and oil/kerosene for external

i know around 2020 B&Q lowered the quantity by a litre and not the price for pre-packed paraffin and now £10.00 per 4 litre container or £2.50 a litre

i am lucky to find a small hardware-store sell paraffin by the pump for as little or as much as you need and i stocked up prior for them selling up shop, reminds me i need to check with the new owners if they are selling paraffin or not and make a special trip if they do

obvious the wicking material will work with zippo lighter fuel, yet as you are quite right it could have different results for different fuels

maybe for keeping costs down could be why they have not supplied any...??

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I use the same type of paraffin lamp filler, I use some citronella paraffin oil in mine and can last up to 2-2.5 hours, at the price I have q few of them so I can easily slip them out when done and then put another in if I still need a light, but often I just let it burn out and replace it the next day.

Reactions: MartinK9

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE