Waxed some canvas today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rockfarm

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2021
Costa Rica
youtube.com
I had been wanting to wax my Romanian rucksack, my mix was equal parts beeswax paraffin and coconut oil. Using a double boiler and heat gun the mixture one on easily and was soaked up by the old canvas and leather. This is my go-to rucksack here in Costa Rica and I really wanted to make it a bit more water repellent. I'll let it dry for a couple days and check to see if there were any spots that I missed, except for the back panel which I left untreated.
IMG-20211120-130818-624.jpg
IMG-20211120-130818-683.jpg
IMG-20211120-130818-792.jpg
IMG-20211120-130818-809.jpg

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Nice.

Coconut oil. Never thought of using that. Too warm here in the summer, I think.

Though having just fully reread you post, its not as warm as Costa Rica :):)

I waxed a couple of bags with just beeswax a while ago. Works great, but they smell rather of honey now

Reactions: Rockfarm

Rockfarm

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2021
Costa Rica
youtube.com
i presume "paraffin" refers to paraffin wax?! and where did you manage to find bees wax?! (== no beekeeping around here and the was i once "harvested" from some native bees somehow got mouldy in the jungle humidity:rolleyes:) coconuts are fortunately not in short supply along the beach :cool:
Yes, the paraffin wax was from plain candles at the local store. I couldn't find any beeswax here so when my family made a visit to the states I had some ordered off of Etsy. The Coconut oil is easy to get here but kinda expensive (like the beeswax). We buy our honey from a local farmer but all his wax is sold to folks making cosmetics I think. Where are you located at?

i'm on the caribbean side of the country

coconut oil is sold everywhere along the main highway, but i once made my own (labour intensive and not very efficient i'm afraid ), candles are also easy to come by. so the tricky part is the wax (when i came to central america i had a chunk bees wax in my luggage but airport security needed it for themselves :confused:) -- i'll ask one of my local friends next time i see him (and keep an eye open for native bee's hives :p). fortunately it's not urgent as the bag i'm thinking about treating isn't used for outdoor activities anymore...

Reactions: Rockfarm

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE