Beer from the forest...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

deVolf

I am Polish and about 6 years ago I have been infected - BUSHCRAFT :)
I have found just a moment ago an interisting recipe in one book which reminds me what my father once showed me a long time ago.
Try it! For every gallon of birch sap take 1 quart of honey,boil for an hour with a few cloves and little lemon peel.
When cold add 3 to 4 spoonfuls of ale(I used polish beer :super: )
wait until the yeast settle and bottle it up.
If you do not like it I am gonna bay you a beer when you visit Hereford
:biggthump

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
its a variation on a meglathin (spiced mead) recipe.

It should be medium to dry in sweetness as for mead 4lb = dry
5lb medium & 6lb = sweet.

although you only using around 2lb honey (1lb =roughly 1pint) the sugar in the birch sap makes up for the rest.

If you going to add beer make sure it is bottle conditioned (with the yeast in the bottom) and given a bit of a shake or it wont work as normal (filtered) beer doesn't contain the yeast. You could just a beer yeast from a shop or even wine yeast if you want it stronger/drier - it more alcohol tolerant.

For an old English recipe take 3lb or so honey boil with a 4-5 pints water plus half a lemon if desired. Leave to cool, place in a demi-john and make upto a gallon with FRESH apple juice and then add prestarted yeast - the result MELOMEL.

Beware when brewing anything with honey it takes longer than you think and will often appear to be finished, but has the habit of restarting once botteld. It a good idea once its fermented to a taste you want to add a camden tablet to garuntee no further fermentation.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE