Beer can Chicken

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
After hearing about B-B-Q Beer can Chicken and Googling it, I decided to give it a go.
But not wanting to cook a painted aluminum beer can with plastic widgets to 400*F(gas6)
I came up with some stainless steel from the scrap bin, the tube a length of off-cut
from a shop stair banister,the plate the holes drilled in wrong place, Had it "Tigged"
To produce Tuesday nights tea using Guinness and tonights Saturday with Cider

4 Lbs. Chicken wash, dry, push garlic slices under skin rub with Olive Oil, rub with spices.
In Teddys spice mix :-
salt,sugar,cummin,chilli,black pepper,cayenne,paprika,origano,onion,garlic,
west indian all spice(lemony/pepper),cinnamon,thyme,ginger,mustard powder.

Into the stainless steel tube Cider(3/4 full) and a spoon of above spices.
Chicken impaled on tube and wrapped in foil then placed in roasting tin
with 1/2 pint water and into oven at Gas 6 for 30 minutes then turn round
for another 30 minutes. Then remove foil and place parsnips onions and potatoes
around base and drizzle vegatables with olive oil for another 30 minutes the turn again
for another 30 minutes. Two hours cooking thats 30 minutes per pound check legs are
cooked ( stick knife in look at juice (it should be clear if not give another 10 min. try again )
All OK remove from oven allow to cool for 10 minutes, while making gravy from juices in roasting tin.

Ready for foil wrap and water before placing in oven
Chickenreadytocook.jpg

Result moist and juicy----------------- Droool!
Chickencooked.jpg

just thought I'd share, although done at home could be adapted to out door ?
cheers all Danny

glad it wasn't just me! :lmao::eek:

So what is the wisdom behind the tube then? I guess it's to keep the 'stuffing' separate and to help the heat transfer through the bird?

nope i guess a load a hillbillys liked shovin beer cans up a chicens backside and chuckin it on the fire :lmao: but found it kept the meat moist n tasty :rolleyes:

only tryed it once at the CLA 2000 when we got drunk in the evenin with a guy who had a BBQ stand :D he only had Stella but it still tasted good we just stopped chewing when we got to the ribcage so the can wasnt a problem :rolleyes:

ATB

Duncan

PS nice weldin

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Hope this is not as title but it's a cross between the old camp fire trick of putting a few slits in a potato rubbing on butter, salt and pepper wrapping it in foil then pushing a 6" nail through before it goes in the fire ashes, then not only doe's it cook from outside in but also from inside out with the heat transfer down the nail. As for the spiced beer or wine in the tube this is turned into flavored steam and just like a pressure cooker cooks the meat without it drying up, with the tube acting like the nail as above.So as Duncan said Moist and Tasty :D Google links for beercan chicken
Mmmm ! Spiced Chicken and Beer must be worth a Homer Drool off Andybysea :)
cheers all Danny

stevesteve

Nomad
Dec 11, 2006
UK
Nicely made and I'm salivating now.

Was I the only one who was instantly jealous of Danny's scrap bin? ;)

Cheers,
Steve

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
bit more bushcrafty

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWeiLarxGf0

Dan, that chicken of yours does look finger licking good :)

The BBQ Boys videos are always very good.
A few guys in a factory near me always do a turkey this way on their last day of work before Christmas holidays but if carried out incorrectly can be absolutely suicidal.
Alton Brown's series of 3 videos give good pointers for the more safety conscious.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E270Qx5OpxU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OLNLYL24qUA&feature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9mq29BaLLk&feature=related
Happy trails...torc.

tytek

Forager
Dec 25, 2009
Leeds
It looks heavy - you wouldn't want the extra weight for out door cooking.

What about a titanium one???

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE