Been making charcloth..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Won't post loads as I'm sure most know how. If not look at my blog for the hows and doings...

Here's the tools and stuffs:

DSCF2466.jpg

I have to say I cheat and use a camp stove. But it's quick and easy.

The results (no comments about dirty nails now)...

DSCF2494.jpg

mace242

Native
Aug 17, 2006
Yeovil, Somerset, UK
Interestingly, and I don't know if anybody else does this, I leave my nails a bit longer as when making things like nettle cordage I find them a handy tool. Well - that's my excuse anyway.

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
That's a handy tool I must say, but I couldn't pass that with my missus.. :) Nice cloth by the way I tend to make from thinner materials, like t-****s because I found it easier to light with flint and steel. By the way, yesterday I managed to light a fire ...from - to... in just 2min. and the cloth caught ON SECOND strike, never had that before......

Stringmaker

Native
Sep 6, 2010
UK
Nice one. Once you start it gets a bit addictive; I have a collection of old cotton ready to cook.

I've started making charcloth with the school groups I work with. Before that I just used to show a piece to them and pass it round, now they get to see the "before and after".

Note to self: Remember to wear a glove when taking the can off the fire next time...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE