Bed

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

_scorpio_

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 22, 2009
east sussex UK
i have done similar with just a tarp and a lot of grass. there was a huge grass field next to the woods so it didnt take long to get more than enough to be comfortable, and surprisingly warm.

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
I hadn't seen this first time round, so glad you changed your account.

Nice one Stuart :approve:

Thanks for sharing :cool:

Have you tried heather and myrtle for the browse ? Very springy and it smells wonderful :D

cheers,
M

Hi Mary,yeah i've tried heather before and its really rather good,i never thought about adding the myrtle though,but i will give it a go thanks.

its awfy wide, where you expecting company ;) or does it just look like a double from the angle?
thanks for re-posting btw

Hi Stoo,i think it must be the angle of the photo as it was just a nice size.
:bluThinki Or are you trying to say i must have been a fat git a few year ago:D On second thoughts don't even answer that :lmao:

Cheers Stuart.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Admit it Tam, you're thinking of it, seriously, you are, aren't you :D
It must've been damned cold at Wiston right enough :lmao:

cheers,
M

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Memo to self...

Don't stick half a dozen cold Guinness in belly when it's Baltic.
You're not getting any younger.

Big Nanook o' Lomondside must have an Aga in his abdomen.:lmao:

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
great thread and the beds you made are excellent:

I live in the NE of Scotland and this is what I have used for a number of nights.

vnch20.jpg

Just a simple A frame bed using peat sacks and stacking fern first then grass on top.Then my HH hex tarp goes over the top, It doesnt look comfy but you would be pleasently surprised.

CBJ

stuart f

Jan 19, 2004
Hawick, Scottish Borders
Is it okay to sleep in the forrests up in your area?not from a safty point but do the forestry decision allow it?

Hi Hog,the wood i set up in is,nt forestry commission land,it was just a narrow wind break wood next to the river.

If you check out this site http://www.outdooraccess-scotland.com/default.asp

It will better explain than i ever could.

Hi CBJ,i have'nt tried out an A frame set up as of yet,but its something i've always wanted to do.Yours looks really comfy though,thanks for posting the pic.

Cheers Stuart.

We made a similar one a while back. Used it with soft rush as bedding. Nice and spongy and comfortable. It's quite wet here so soft rush is in abundence.
Here's the shelter during construction.

123.jpg

Plated spruce root to hold up the cross piece

126.jpg

Stakes to hold the logs in place

127.jpg

Raising the bed

130.jpg

Completed bed, it has been raised high enough to sit comfortable on and with room for hot rocks below.

128.jpg

The lean to being prepared. It was continued right round the sides and then thatched in using a combination of moss below the bed height and spruce boughs above it.

Last edited:

bhofmann

Forager
Dec 18, 2009
Exmouth, Devon, England, UK
If you make it well, like Celt Ginger did, I see no reason to take it down. Save someone else, and yourself, the work next time, and will certainly reduce the number of trees that would be cut or clipped to make the bed/bench. You guys have made some impressive bed shelters. Maybe I will too one day, but finding that many fallen trees is not easy where I go, and cutting them down for just one or even two nights is a no-no for me.

Aussiepom

Forager
Jun 17, 2008
Mudgee, NSW
Well constructed classic lean-to shelter there from C G, (though I wouldn't be storing an axe by planting it in a live tree), and I second bhofmann; why take it down?

One thing I've never been too sure about with the lean-to types though is that the 'roof' has to be at a steep angle to shed the rain, but on the other hand, the slightest breeze is going to blow the rain straight into the shelter.

Before anyone says it, it's not just a matter of positioning the shelter according to the prevailing wind either - I've regularly set up camps in sites where the wind is blowing one way one hour, and the opposite way the next hour. Or of course, if there is no prevailing wind until after you've set up your shelter, you could once again be snookered!

Any solutions anyone? (Apart from using a tarp, as I currently do.)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE