Bed Rolls - Temperature Related

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Mar 14, 2014
London
Hi everyone. First post, just found the site during one of my many countless hours spent browsing bushcraft stores while the debit card stares at me alluringly. Great forum and site in general and from what I've read so far, there are no trolls (always a bonus).

Just a quick question. I'm in the process of building a 'go bag' and I'm at the bed roll stage. I'm not a huge fan of sleeping bags as they're pretty bulky, I'm looking at a 95"x95" 100% wool blanket (Pathfinder Store) with a fleece sleeping bag liner to go in my DD sealable hammock but I'm not sure what temperature I could sleep out in reasonably comfortably (temp wise) for a 3 day gear test jaunt in the Dartmoor - North Devon area. Any ideas? Or is a decent sleeping bag the only realistic option for the area? I know how cold it can get on Dartmoor in winter from personal experience but I've no experience of how good wool and fleece may work together in that environment. At best conditions; clothing - fleece liner - wool blanket - sealed hammock - tarp. Would I survive 3 days in spring/summer?

TIA

Paul.

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
I suppose surviving would be easy, being comfy and warm might be a different matter. There are so many factors, wind, weather, temp, humidity, how tired you are, wether you've eaten well. Proof of the pudding is in the eating

Sent from my LG-D802 using Tapatalk

Johnnyboy1971

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
By DD sealable hammock do you mean the one with the waterproof base?
Are you using it on the floor if so what about insulation under you.

Mar 14, 2014
London
Thanks for the reply. I'll simplify it a bit; strictly speaking, what's the lowest temperature said items would be suitable for?

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
Depends how warm you want to be.
You refer to a bedroll, does this mean something to sleep in or an actual bedroll.

Mar 14, 2014
London
Depends how warm you want to be.
You refer to a bedroll, does this mean something to sleep in or an actual bedroll.

Warm and toastie isn't a massive issue, alive and able to do what needs to be done survival wise. By bed roll I mean tarp, hammock, blanket and fleece liner rolled up under my backpack, to unroll and sleep in.

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
What needs to be done to survive. Only you can answer that.
I prefer to be comfortable and able to function properly

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Warm and toastie isn't a massive issue, alive and able to do what needs to be done survival wise. By bed roll I mean tarp, hammock, blanket and fleece liner rolled up under my backpack, to unroll and sleep in.

Whole different thing to be honest, this may not be the best forum for this question if you fancy playing Jonny Rambo. Personally I'd go the keep warm route at all costs over surviving, did that decades ago and as you age the fun wears off.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich

Not sure your in the right place any fool can be uncomfortable, In my experience, when people are at the point of just being able to survive then they dont perform that well, you're only got to look around the camp site during the winter and it stands out like a sore thumb who has had a good nights sleep and who has been cold all night.....

The ones milling around and not getting much done tend to be the ones that have had a very uncomfortable night.......

Mar 14, 2014
London
Whole different thing to be honest, this may not be the best forum for this question if you fancy playing Jonny Rambo. Personally I'd go the keep warm route at all costs over surviving, did that decades ago and as you age the fun wears off.

OK, if I'm coming across as Johny Rambo I'm obviously not making myself clear. I have no interest in being the tough guy who can survive in any conditions, I'm interested in being able to survive with a 3 day bug out bag if society goes tits up. I've been camping and bush crafting with elite troops (On occasion) since I was 6 years old (4 if you count running away with nothing). I'm quite capable of looking after myself in the wild. I can hunt and snare all day long but I've only recently given up on society and decided to properly prepare. Please don't take this the wrong way but I'd rather survive full stop than waste effort being warm & cossie, as long as I'm alive and able to do what's necessary. Hence my question directed at anyone who may have tried my idea, or close to it. :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
OK, if I'm coming across as Johny Rambo I'm obviously not making myself clear. I have no interest in being the tough guy who can survive in any conditions, I'm interested in being able to survive with a 3 day bug out bag if society goes breasts up. I've been camping and bush crafting with elite troops (On occasion) since I was 6 years old (4 if you count running away with nothing). I'm quite capable of looking after myself in the wild. I can hunt and snare all day long but I've only recently given up on society and decided to properly prepare. Please don't take this the wrong way but I'd rather survive full stop than waste effort being warm & cossie, as long as I'm alive and able to do what's necessary. Hence my question directed at anyone who may have tried my idea, or close to it. :)

If your interested in survival then use good kit. A good sleeping bag and bivvy will be more compact, warmer and lighter than lugging a bedroll around in your 72h pack? If you've given up on society then prepare properly, use the right gear. You can spot the ones who had a bad sleep (as someone else pointed out too), they are the early morning 'zombies', the ones who kept toastie warm are alert and getting on with things and thats what survival is truly all about, maintaining yourself at a peak operating level. I'm sure the elite troops you know would agree with me.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
yep ditch the wool blanket and get a decent doss bag which packs small and a bivy bag to keep it dry. With decent quality bivi bag you could even ditch the tarp to get your weight down more although a tarp gives you a nice dry admin area....would also get a ground mat then if you have nowhere to hammock up you can hit the deck in comfort...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE