Bed Rolls - Temperature Related

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Its not really hard though is it. Standard weekend away bag will cover you for three days. Id wager most people on the forum could pack a bag for 3 days on dartmoor without thinking about it.

True - forgot about the 3-day factor! OK - Jervens XL, biltong, lighter and packet of fags:)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
well here is a fact for you, there is no blanket/fleece liner combination as suggested in OP that is less bulky than my down bag (even if including my bivy bag too), member rg598 reply shown below is absolutely correct and is yes also a fact too not an opinion.

Yes, I wasnt talking about bulk, but insulative powers, which he said was a poor choice. But let's also say every other animal on the planet from sheep to polar bears survive in all conditions all year round with natural fibres and have done for millennia, so how it's a poor insulator I don't know. Down is great as you've stated , but saying wool is a poor insulator completely isn't a fact, it's an opinion. And as I said its not the fact of what's best that I'm getting it but it's the repeated attacking of natural fibres (wool) , completely discounting them as an option when it isn't a fact and others like using natural fibres, which is appropriate as the OP stated he wasn't to keen on sleeping bags and would prefer a blanket.

I'm not arguing over which is best, (we all have out own opinions for different reasons), but its when people complete discount something just because they don't like it.

Last edited:

rg598

Native
Yes, I wasnt talking about bulk, but insulative powers, which he said was a poor choice. But let's also say every other animal on the planet from sheep to polar bears survive in all conditions all year round with natural fibres and have done for millennia, so how it's a poor insulator I don't know. Down is great as you've stated , but saying wool is a poor insulator completely isn't a fact, it's an opinion. And as I said its not the fact of what's best that I'm getting it but it's the repeated attacking of natural fibres (wool) , completely discounting them as an option when it isn't a fact and others like using natural fibres, which is appropriate as the OP stated he wasn't to keen on sleeping bags and would prefer a blanket.

I'm not arguing over which is best, (we all have out own opinions for different reasons), but its when people complete discount something just because they don't like it.

I think you are the only one having this conversation here, and it seems to have little to do with this thread.

My comment was that his choice of a wool blanket and FLEECE sleeping bag was a poor choice for a 72 hour bag. Other people had recommended much better options.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I think you are the only one having this conversation here, and it seems to have little to do with this thread.

My comment was that his choice of a wool blanket and FLEECE sleeping bag was a poor choice for a 72 hour bag. Other people had recommended much better options.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

That's what I mean, what makes them much better?

Sorry if the OP thinks my posts have not been on topic.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom

In fairness to Ross, I think the point made was its a poor choice in terms of insulation for its bulk and weight compared to alternatives. There is no escaping that is a fact but it doesnt mean wool cant be used.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
In fairness to Ross, I think the point made was its a poor choice in terms of insulation for its bulk and weight compared to alternatives. There is no escaping that is a fact but it doesnt mean wool cant be used.

I agree with that mate :).

It's just when people do say wool is a complete no go, maybe I misinterpreted the posts.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
I think if you're using the original Jervens bag - with no insulation/fleecy stuff on the inside, you'd get noticeable condensation in certain circumstances. With the lined ones, the lining may get damp on occasion, but it'll dry out quickly enough the following morning if you hang it up. The key thing though is that it'll keep you warm and dry in any temp you'll find on Dartmoor.

They sound sweaty - don't you end up soaked in condensation, or is it not so bad since you don't breath inside them?

The insulated ones are not bad at all. You need to dry them out after 2-3 nights depending on conditions, but even if a heavy blizzard forces you inside, you still have the zipped arms holes as a breathing hole, and really I have not noticed appreciable condensation issues. I would even say in deep cold it is a superior system because the frost tends to catch between the outer of the bag and the insulation and freeze there, rather than in the insulation of your parka or sleeping bag where you really don't want it.

Last edited:
What I do sometime do in marginal conditions is wrap my shemagh or one of those super light airplane blankets around my midriff to hips.

A trick learned from a tibetan yogi who force marched across the himalaya fleeing the chinese. These guys have a clue.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE