Bed Rolls - Temperature Related

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
If it were me I would be inclined to go for something warmer. I just don't think a wool blanket and fleece lining is quite up to three nights on Dartmoor at this time of year.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
If your interested in survival then use good kit. A good sleeping bag and bivvy will be more compact, warmer and lighter than lugging a bedroll around in your 72h pack? If you've given up on society then prepare properly, use the right gear. You can spot the ones who had a bad sleep (as someone else pointed out too), they are the early morning 'zombies', the ones who kept toastie warm are alert and getting on with things and thats what survival is truly all about, maintaining yourself at a peak operating level. I'm sure the elite troops you know would agree with me.

Exactly what he said; pretty clear!

On a lighter note, is there an impending 'Bushcrafter Spring' on the horizon? ;)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Exactly what he said; pretty clear!

On a lighter note, is there an impending 'Bushcrafter Spring' on the horizon? ;)

And said on my part for re-enforcement of a previous post and I do hope that is now pretty clear or have I missed something? The OP has not been back for a couple of weeks and I'd guess thats due to replies not fitting his personal agenda. You often see people joining forums (Bushcraft/Survival) with pretty much fixed ideas and when more practical alternatives are offered they 'bug out'.

Its OK playing/dressing up/kitting out as a 'Mountain Man' / retro camper/survialist in the comfort of woodland here in the UK but if the poster is really, and I mean really looking at building a 'Go Bag' then sense/science/design says dump the bedroll, its not rocket science and I hope that is pretty clear Gordon.

Last edited:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Oh, I forgot to add that the OP is possibly still perusing the forums here just not in the 'signed in' mode.

Last edited:

rg598

Native
You are right Richard. I see this all the time. People have already decided what they want and are just seeking validation for their choices. When someone offers more practical options they don't want to hear it. The problem is that instead of looking around for different options and comparisons, a lot of new people pick their favorite YouTube guru and pattern themselves after him, regardless of whether he knows what he is doing or not. For example, I know exactly where the OP got his idea for his insulation choices, and it was a poor idea when that guy did it, and it is still a poor choice compared to the alternatives.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Yeah, kinda why I was asking if there was an impending 'Bushcrafter Spring' on the horizon I should be worried about. You know, with the inter webs we are really just one big community, now.;)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
You are right Richard. I see this all the time. People have already decided what they want and are just seeking validation for their choices. When someone offers more practical options they don't want to hear it. The problem is that instead of looking around for different options and comparisons, a lot of new people pick their favorite YouTube guru and pattern themselves after him, regardless of whether he knows what he is doing or not. For example, I know exactly where the OP got his idea for his insulation choices, and it was a poor idea when that guy did it, and it is still a poor choice compared to the alternatives.

It depends for what. It could be seen as a poor choice for an emergency as you want to jump in a be warm, but not if he wants to do things historically. As someone said any fool can be uncomfortable, but it takes more skill to be comfortable with wool blankets, tarp and fire as opposed to a tent and a four season sleeping bag in my opinion as you rely more on other skills such as fire making. Just because you don't like something doesn't mean its wrong all together and what you deem a poor choice isn't the way other feel, it's an opinion, you ant call it poor full stop, that's what you think, not a fact. I've gone on a small rant as I don't believe you can rule something out full stop just because it's personally not for your liking.

rg598

Native
It's a poor choice as an insulator. For the same weight and volume it provides substentially less insulation. You can carry it for various other reasons, but that wasn't the question asked. If the OP was "I'm trying to create a historically accurate 19th century bedroll; what should I use", we would be having a different conversation.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Just because you don't like something doesn't mean its wrong all together and what you deem a poor choice isn't the way other feel, it's an opinion, you ant call it poor full stop, that's what you think, not a fact.

well here is a fact for you, there is no blanket/fleece liner combination as suggested in OP that is less bulky than my down bag (even if including my bivy bag too), member rg598 reply shown below is absolutely correct and is yes also a fact too not an opinion.

I'm not a huge fan of sleeping bags as they're pretty bulky, I'm looking at a 95"x95" 100% wool blanket (Pathfinder Store) with a fleece sleeping bag liner

It's a poor choice as an insulator. For the same weight and volume it provides substentially less insulation.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I'd hope by day four that the hotels were open again and one could check in, have a shower, a jolly good meal and a bottle of cheeky red wine.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
going back to the op - 'survival' is an interesting topic.

Yesterday I did something dumb and left my overmitts and overshoes at home (for cycling to and from home). Fine-dry day so shouldn't need them. By hometime it was raining at near freezing. I made it home miserable, fingers not far off frostbite. All because I'd not brought my 'emergency' clothes. Just a couple of bits of gear would have made all the difference.

I've 'slept' out in a summerweight buffalo bag when it was -5 air temp. I survived, but it wasn't a good night, I had a bellyful of food and was dry and warm when I got in the bag. What would it have been like if I'd gone to bed wet, cold and hungry? I'm not actually sure I'd have survived.

So I reckon if you are going to 'bug out' to somewhere in the open, you need to plan your gear for the worst state you could be in. Injured, tired, unfed and wet. Bad weather. Marginal gear could get you dead in one night.

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Ground insulation is key - and Dartmoor is not exactly a forest anymore, so finding ground litter or pine branches is not a given! Hanging only means that you'll get lots of cold air circulating under you too. So lets look at this as an exercise in "horses for courses" - ie Dartmoor in potential sub-zero temps.

Things to consider - I'll start!

1. Protection from rain (both whilst mobile and when sleeping)
2. Protection from ground/air if hanging
3. Clothing - can you use existing clothing as separate layer at night?
4. Sleeping bag - down for compactness/weight or man-made for effectiveness if it get wet?
5. Fire - use existing available resources - eg wood/peat/animal droppings if available versus carried-in fuel
6. Fire starters
7. Water source/purification
8. Cooking gear
9. Food
10. Navigation
11. First aid/medications
12. Communications
13. Transport

.............actually, this list is nearly endless!

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ground insulation is key - and Dartmoor is not exactly a forest anymore, so finding ground litter or pine branches is not a given! Hanging only means that you'll get lots of cold air circulating under you too. So lets look at this as an exercise in "horses for courses" - ie Dartmoor in potential sub-zero temps.

Things to consider - I'll start!

1. Protection from rain (both whilst mobile and when sleeping)
2. Protection from ground/air if hanging
3. Clothing - can you use existing clothing as separate layer at night?
4. Sleeping bag - down for compactness/weight or man-made for effectiveness if it get wet?
5. Fire - use existing available resources - eg wood/peat/animal droppings if available versus carried-in fuel
6. Fire starters
7. Water source/purification
8. Cooking gear
9. Food
10. Navigation
11. First aid/medications
12. Communications
13. Transport

.............actually, this list is nearly endless!

Its not really hard though is it. Standard weekend away bag will cover you for three days. Id wager most people on the forum could pack a bag for 3 days on dartmoor without thinking about it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE