Bear Grylls The Island series II

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
Not a problem with merchandising his name to make sure he and his family are financially secure. Everyone does it and so would I if anyone wanted to take notice of me!
I think if you view BG programmes as entertainment (in the broad sense) rather than factual they make much more sense
RM does non fiction whereas BG moves into a mix of fiction based on fact.
To be fair, there have been instances where people have gotten into problems and been able to work through them because they watched his programmes - that can only be a good thing. Although, we don't know about the ones that have gone the other way and suffered...
there's no doubt he's an experienced and talented guy. I would prefer his programmes had some health warnings and best practice rather than sensationalist ways as mentioned above.
At the end of the day though, it sells

Caerleon

Feb 9, 2015
West Mid's
Not a problem with merchandising his name to make sure he and his family are financially secure. Everyone does it and so would I if anyone wanted to take notice of me!
I think if you view BG programmes as entertainment (in the broad sense) rather than factual they make much more sense
RM does non fiction whereas BG moves into a mix of fiction based on fact.
To be fair, there have been instances where people have gotten into problems and been able to work through them because they watched his programmes - that can only be a good thing. Although, we don't know about the ones that have gone the other way and suffered...
there's no doubt he's an experienced and talented guy. I would prefer his programmes had some health warnings and best practice rather than sensationalist ways as mentioned above.
At the end of the day though, it sells

Probably the most pragmatic response I've read about BG on this or any other site. It's purely aimed at the masses with very little or no military/ bushcraft knowledge. The general theme of T.V now is 'reality' based and when there's the likes of BG providing what seems to very similar output to say RM or Ed Stafford (but more extreme) then I guess people with limited knowledge on the topic would say he's at the top of his game. Personally I don't particularly enjoy these shows and certainly don't take them seriously, but absolutely agree with the statement he's looking after his/families best interest and using his marketing skills to his best ability. I would probably do the same if I had the opportunity but not as blatantly.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Probably the most pragmatic response I've read about BG on this or any other site. It's purely aimed at the masses with very little or no military/ bushcraft knowledge. The general theme of T.V now is 'reality' based and when there's the likes of BG providing what seems to very similar output to say RM or Ed Stafford (but more extreme) then I guess people with limited knowledge on the topic would say he's at the top of his game. Personally I don't particularly enjoy these shows and certainly don't take them seriously, but absolutely agree with the statement he's looking after his/families best interest and using his marketing skills to his best ability. I would probably do the same if I had the opportunity but not as blatantly.

I have just been involved with making a Celeb "Reality" show - there is no approaching "reality" in it...."faked for fun" is more like it :)

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
TV is just moving further and further into gladitorial shows, all aimed at the lowest common denominator. The Flavian Amphitheatre was built for the same reason, to keep the masses entertained. Does anyone remember the film 'Rollerblade'.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I was close, but it was a long time ago. But I guess you know the movie. :)

You sir, know far to much about Fame and legwarmers, for my liking. :lmao:

Dam! Busted... (he said while skipping off into the night singing "I'm gonna live forever...") :eek:

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Surely that was Flashdance?

😄

Sadly it was Fame. But there seems to be a lot of knowledge of 80's dance movies on here! We'll have Mr Fenna singing Absolute Beginers next :what:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Sorry to the OP for the drift, but it does prove the point I was making to a lady who thought bushcraft was just about killing animals and knives that we were more likely to be talking about sewing machines and what our favourite biscuit is. Looks like we've got musicals to add now :eek: (I suppose "Into The Woods" would be most apt for BCUK).

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
OMG! what have you started GB.:offtopic::jacked:
and from a moderator too! Anyway Bears the best, far better than ray mears, i've never heard ray mears once advise imbibing ones own urine, and that's no survival show is it? aside from the fluids you may loose from vomiting/diarrhoea and salt poisoning. And possibly trying a still to purify it first.

And now one off the men's island. The two obvious wusses who have each left the two islands so far I reckon are obvious plants, making sure that everybody acclimatise properly I think and then skidaddling. And why after a week they havn't tried fishing I do not know.

Edit
3 off the men's island, missed the start. I reccon that big fella will magically reappear now that the antagonist has left.

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Might be a good way to be rid of some of the more odious types! Kid on they're filming and just leave them somewhere.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE