Bear Gryll's Praise

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jan 2, 2011
todmorden
Jake built a snow cave to shelter in as darkness fell but then decided to try another technique of following ski trails down the mountain.

i hate to be negative but am i getting this right? it seems to me he decided to dig a shelter because he saw it on man vs wild instead of heading down the mountain while it was still light. lucky he didnt waste too much energy or not make it back because he couldnt see it the dark.

if anything it looks to me like it put him more in danger.

saying that i have nothing against him, yes his show is fake in the sense that the locations he is in are not always remote and he doesnt spend nights under the stars but i still find it entertaining to watch.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I like Bear Grylls, a fellow Scouter and allied veteran. What Man vs. Wild serves up is entertainment. I like Les Stroud. Survivorman served up entertainment. I have not watched Ray's programs, not available in my area. I have read, and liked, one of his books, again, entertainment.

The part I do not understand is why one is pressured to choose any over the other?

Gordy

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The reason you get a Bear/Ray split is mainly because Ray makes factual documentaries that are aimed at educating, whilst Bear makes gung-ho-shock value programmes that are aimed at entertaining. Two very different audiences, hence the big debates you always get. As the majority of the bushcrafting forum like education and documentaries more than those made to entertain, you will always find Bear will lose out within that demographic. When Grylls first started airing his series, we all thought it would be like a documentary and the confusion still remains within the UK as to which market he is aiming at.

baz p

Nov 16, 2010
manchester
i think we all have our own views about Mr Grylls, but we must give credit where credit is due, "sky and channel 4" well done producers for allowing these types of shows to be put on air,
but on the other hand what if that kid decided he wanted to climb down a cliff face because he seen bear do it with no problems, then that would be a different story and bear would get the blame for the kids injury's or even worse his death. not the producers, bear is just trying to pass on some of the skills he has learnt from the military, hes just trying to make a living like the rest of us and hes doing what he knows best. its the producers that "hype up" the hole survival situation, its all about viewing numbers,

give the guy a break........hes okay

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I have stayed away from these discussions in the past; I tire of the unnecessary bashing.

I do confess though, having seen both guys 'in the flesh' I know which I'd rather share a campfire with. One is interested in listening as well as speaking quite humbly about the amazing things he has done; the other comes over slightly conceited and tired of the public - I like both guys for the people they are and accept they do different things to make their money. There's room for all and the majority of us on here could learn from both of them.

Just by 2p worth.

Broch

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I do confess though, having seen both guys 'in the flesh' I know which I'd rather share a campfire with. One is interested in listening as well as speaking quite humbly about the amazing things he has done; the other comes over slightly conceited and tired of the public -

Brilliant, you really have met them both and that statement sums them up perfectly.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
i didn't think Ray was that concieted to be honest.

He's really not, but he can come over that way in public and with a large audience. Very much so. Bear is quite shy and very humble, which is why I really don't like his programmes as he is much better than that.

No Idea

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 18, 2010
Dorset
Whenever I try something, its my choice. I am not ever going to seriously hold another to account unless they offer me a personal guaruntee that "This" will work.

If I am in trouble, and was stuck somewhere and was beyond my comfort and experience zone, I really dont care if inspiration comes from Mr Gryls, Mr Mears, or even Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, its always a starting point, which I will adapt to whatever situ Im in.

Looks to me - probably from my general level of Ignorance, that the kid didnt panic and run off in the direction he was facing down the mountain.

Building a shelter, as he had probably heard should be his top priority looks to have been his "Stop and have a brew up while we think about this"....

Kids dont usually stop and think - or drink tea. lol

If that show has managed to pitch info in a way that a kid can pick it up - and even remember and use it under stress...

I am seriously impressed.

Im lucky if I can convince mine they aught to put something on over their T shirts for an outing into a blizzard....

My Humble Opinion.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Not really, as after he'd spent the nessessary time and effort to built a snow shelter out of the wind, he up and walked off in the night. Not really the brightest thing to do...

Certainly one way to look at it.

On the other hand he may have realise that he couldn't be that far away from home, that if he stayed still he would get hypothermia. And to top it off he didn't wander aimlessly - he had enough sense to follow ski tracks in the snow.

I really do grow tired of the endless and childish Bear bashing threads.

Andy

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Kids dont usually stop and think - or drink tea. lol

If that show has managed to pitch info in a way that a kid can pick it up - and even remember and use it under stress...

I am seriously impressed.

Im lucky if I can convince mine they aught to put something on over their T shirts for an outing into a blizzard....

My Humble Opinion.

Absolutely agree - you have to have a teenager to know what a struggle getting them to use 'Common Sense' in any situation

The lads that do some of his support on his shows (who are seriously knowledgeable bushcrafters) speak well of bear generally.

I have never met the man (I would like to) but i have met Ray and do agree with the comment by Broch completely

Cheers
Nick

gowersponger

Settler
Oct 28, 2009
swansea
Blimey, I thought they were actually talking to Grylls at first there, then I realised it was in fact, a 14 year old.

Easy mistake when I come to think about it:)

R.B.

lets face it he knows more has done more and could out survive you in any situation , you could be sounding jealous of the man

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
What we discuss on here (most of the time anyway) is BUSHCRAFT, so that fits in with what we see Ray doing, what BG serves up (on a sensationalist platter) is SURVIVAL. Anyone will tell you that survival is 90% about deciding that you are going to survive...

I guess this is right about where I lose the whole argument of bushcraft V survival. There are so many parallels that they are almost impossible to separate (IMHO).

Look both ways before you cross the road - that's a survival technique, but it's such an everyday thing that nobody usually recognises it as such.

Too many folks assume that survival either means reacting to some sort of unexpected circumstance or in the paramilitary sense.

Primitive cultures practised survival - by using what many people refer to as bushcraft skills they ensured their continued survival and even prosperity.

I think a lot of folks hang far too much weight off the back of a particular word as a means to somehow separate or differentiate the two.

Map and compass reading - survival skill to some, bushcraft skill to others, or what every scout and guide would have been taught by default without worrying about what to call it.

Light a fire by entirely natural means, or forage for food and water, or build a shelter (with or without the aid of any kit), or...

How would the above activities be defined ?

Survival ?

Bushcraft ?

I think that in the vast majority of cases the only thing that can possibly separate the two are the particular circumstances you find yourself in or a determination, or to somehow achieve separation because it best fits a particular or more socially acceptable perspective.

The vast majority of what we call 'bushcraft' skills are, by definition, survival skills, often carried over from our ancestors earliest history. I have no idea how anyone manages to hive them off as separate to one another.

In BG's case, or Ray's or Les Stroud's, if something he did or said helped someone then that's a good thing. On the flip side, they can't possibly be held responsible if someone chooses to try end emulate them.

In every episode of BG's show that I have ever seen he has always willingly made decisions that go directly against the entire notion of continuing one's ongoing survival and safety by jumping off stuff he didn't need to jump off of or some other such nonsense.

Good luck to him - but I still have to tip my hat at his success, and the fact that he managed to get his message across into the typically thick skull of your average teenager who, in turn, managed to put it all together in a far-from-normal situation.

I wonder how many lives have been saved by the great Les Hidden's shows, and the information he supplied which is published on the backs of the regional maps you buy in Australia regarding local edibles and whatnot ?

Bushcraft and survival are two words that all too often mean exactly the same thing.

My favourite bushcraft book which, coincidentally is also about the best I've ever read on the subject is Richard Graves "Bushcraft: A serious guide to survival and camping". Everyone should read this book if they get the chance - the irony of a book that details real bushcraft skills intended for survival and camping...

I'll get my coat.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I guess this is right about where I lose the whole argument of bushcraft V survival. There are so many parallels that they are almost impossible to separate (IMHO).

I tend to think of bushcraft and survival as being entwined.

gold-plaque-with-entwined-003.jpg

law4dkr

Jan 2, 2011
Herts/Notts
My favourite bushcraft book which, coincidentally is also about the best I've ever read on the subject is Richard Graves "Bushcraft: A serious guide to survival and camping". Everyone should read this book if they get the chance

Lol I would, but its 147 quid on Amazon used.... :(

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE