Can we talk about Pathfinders school/ David Canterbury.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Amazing what a narcissist with time and resource can do...fluked his way to where he is with dishonesty.

In regards to bear pills, amazing he gets plaudits,he was born rich....his back was his own fault as he didnt pull his emergency in time.
So what if he was born rich... Being rich doesnt get you through SAS selection... Yes he made a mistake during a jump but so have many others but many others havent gone on to summit Everest within a year of breaking their back.
The guy obviously knows his stuff and he also shows what can be done and what the average fit human can put their bodies through in a survival situation and how you can go on to extract yourself from many different extremes.. He had a rocky start to his tv career but went on to hold his hands up to his faults and moved on to become the personallity he has become... Personally I think he is a good guy and has just done what anyone would do in his situation given the opportunity and has made a living for himself.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
He is a good show man, with (I am sure) genuine bush skills. He does TV stuff for people that know zero about nature or nature skills.

Born rich - is that negative? I detest such statements.

He broke his back ( I think that he did not BREAK it, he probably cracked a vertebrae without any danger to the spinal cord) but recovered and did something quite amazing.

We should remember, (as much as I hate these 'survival shows) it is done to be good viewing. Not a lesson in survival, bushcrafting, behaving in the wild.
A show for city dwellers that have never been outside civilisation.

Now back to mr Cantebury.

Last edited:

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
As for Dave Canterbury.. His indiscretion caught him out.. A long time ago.. He put his tail between his legs and held his hands up.. after the walt was caught!!
Everyone seems to have forgiven him and now he is a business man and speaker...
What I don't get is this all happened a long time ago and it was discussed in depth back then on here....and now the subject is back... Why??? Move on guys. . Surely there is some new gadget etc that is more interesting to discuss rather than someones faults.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
What I don't get is this all happened a long time ago and it was discussed in depth back then on here....and now the subject is back... Why??? Move on guys. . Surely there is some new gadget etc that is more interesting to discuss rather than someones faults.

Isn't it back because you bumped an old thread? ;)

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
When I was much, much younger I spent a few surprise nights out in winter. The simple way worked for us. Build fire, sit round fire, talking, smoking or whatever and wishing you were more sensible. Come tiredness, we simply slept as we do now on cedar to insulate us from the ground and dozed in front of our fire. Every time we got too cold we put more wood on fire or turned over! We learned a lot making mistakes like that.

More than a couple of times, I went to a historical re-enactment site with just my soldier's kit and a sleeping bag, no tent. I slept out near the fire.

During the night, as the fire got smaller and smaller before burning out, I must have shuffled closer without fully waking up. Because I often woke up in the middle of a pile of ashes.

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
I talked to a friend of mine who´s a proper outdoor enthusiast and former soldier. He told me that they've done this on different types of soil, and if you can manage to make this coal bed on sand, then it actually works quite well. The sand apparently works like a magazine for the heat, and keeps the ground warm for a few hours. But you might not be able to count on finding a sand spot in a survival situation.

Where I live is a big patch of land that was, rather a long time ago (up until maybe 66 to 56 million years ago), the sea bed. The soil here is very, very sandy, with loads of flint nodules mixed in with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE