Bear Grylls Compact Fixed Blade - Small Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ratbag

Subscriber
Aug 10, 2005
Barnsley
Nice review JD, very complete. Seems to me that it's basically a neck knife, albeit a fairly chunky one. (The knife, not the neck) Is that about right?

Rat

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
Below? Don't you mean above. Or have you got your settings all backwards.

Piplers won't have any in stock till April, so bear that in mind if ordering them from there.

Looks like I do have them backwards. Didn't notice the April thing on the Piplers site either when I ordered but it is there at the end in the same size print.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
nice review jd just bought one on amazon £22 all in delivery in april regards dave

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
I must confess to purchasing one of the BG Parang thingies last year. It is still in the bubble packaging, not sure what I wanted it for. I am waiting for the new Condor Knife and Tool Village Parang, that one looks useful.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
That's the thing isn't it. It could ruin the balance completely, which is the one thing the original Iban makers have perfected on the traditional jobbies.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
For those folks considering the exclusive from Cabelas because it looks like a plain edged version of the Compact - think again, it is much much smaller...

P1000857.jpg

P1000859.jpg

P1000860.jpg

P1000861.jpg

It doesn't feel anywhere near as comfortable in the hand due to the size. It may be a great little neck/skinning knife. I've yet to test it.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
For those folks considering the exclusive from Cabelas because it looks like a plain edged version of the Compact - think again, it is much much smaller...

It doesn't feel anywhere near as comfortable in the hand due to the size. It may be a great little neck/skinning knife. I've yet to test it.

The way the plastic doesn't wrap around the steel doesn't look like it helps much for comfort either.

What do you guys make of the quality of the blade? I didn't notice it was stainless until I put 7Cr17Mov (from the blurb) into google and the first result said

"7Cr17MoV is a cheap Chinese steel and I'm not a big fan of it at all, the edge retention is not very good, but it does take an edge relatively easily."

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The knife is so small, the handle material falling short doesn't make much difference, if any. It's too small for me to use with any power behind the cut. The Compact is about as small as I'd go, this Ultra Compact is way too small for any serious work by me. Can't say I've had a problem with edge retention at all on either the Compact or Ultimate. The biggest gripe I have is the serrations on the Ultimate having the tendancy to fold. Soon sorted after the first couple of sharpenings though. The plain edge is sufficient.

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
I would like to thank johnathanD for a great review I ordered this knife on the strength of his review It arrived yesterday after a considerable delay.

The knife is everything that was said in the review and it has it's allotted place on one of my parang sheaths...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE