Bear Grylls Compact Fixed Blade - Small Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Further to my thorough abuse of the Ultimate BG Gerber (here: http://www.britishblades.com/forums...er-Survival-Knife&highlight=bear+grylls+knife ) I wanted to follow it up with teh parang. Until this little beast came along.

BGCompact.jpg

Well, I finally got one of these in my hands after it was released earlier in February. A different beast to the Ultimate Survival Knife as it is much smaller. It appealed to me right away when I saw the prototype picture as it seemed similar in size and thickness to the superb Bayley S4 Bear used to carry. I love that knife as it is so small and flat. For £17.50, I had to get this new Gerber Compact to try out. Cheap as chips or what. No doubt it will be twice that when it hits the UK later this year. Heinnies are definately getting them in, but you are possibly looking at April now before they get them in stock. Bargains can be had Stateside and you can get them for as cheap as $24.99.

My last review of the Bear Grylls Ultimate had me starting out with a largely negative view of the knife. This time was different and my expectations had risen hugely. I was brought down to Earth with a big slap of reality.

With the Bayley S4....

02Mar20123.jpg

I don't know what I was expecting, but when I got it in my hands, it felt weird and small (yeah, I'm no Sherlock). It was much smaller than I was expecting. The plastic sheath included in it felt cheap, and the belt clip with that awful orange again. Initial thoughts didn't live up to what I was expecting after the Ultimate.

Anyway, rucksack full of scran and knives, off I went to a remote location reserved for idiots who like to fanny about with knives...

02Mar201258.jpg

The knife itself in sheath is an overall 200mm long...

02Mar201257.jpg

Like the Ultimate, the grip is rubberised over a harder plastic base. This one has a full tang. The sheath is quite a thick plastic with a loud orange belt clip that will fit a belt of 1 1/2 inches.

02Mar201256.jpg

The knife itself is an overall 195mm and has an 85mm cutting edge, 25mm of that are serrated. Yeah I know 90% of you are now groaning, but the Ultimate serrations didn't interfere at all with the day to day cutting tasks. So maybe this will be OK too.

02Mar201255.jpg

02Mar201240.jpg

The knife does have a choil. I quite like it as it makes for quite a comfortable grip and makes the edge close in to your hand for greater control and power.

02Mar201252.jpg

02Mar201251.jpg

02Mar201242.jpg

Unlike the Ultimate, this Compact has jimping on the spine to aid your thumb in gripping...

02Mar201241.jpg

02Mar201250.jpg

As for size compared to other knives...

02Mar201253.jpg

As you can see it is far smaller than the Ultimate in everyway...

02Mar201254.jpg

Thickness of the handle is also very different...

02Mar201235.jpg

02Mar201236.jpg

The tang is without doubt full. It protrudes from the handle at the rear to allow for hammering and crushing. I'm not going to abuse this knife with the bush hammer technique. It is so small with a thick 5mm blade, that it will undoubtably stand up to severe abuse.

02Mar201243.jpg

The sheath has a clip which can be removed and reversed quite easily, for whatever carry configuration you wish to use. It's orange!...

02Mar201249.jpg

02Mar201248.jpg

The lock up on the sheath is done with an integral moulded clip which locks into the choil. Lockup is very tight with no play whatsoever...

02Mar201239.jpg

It also has a rubberised insert set into the centre to aid gripping and easy removal of the knife. My initial impressions on the naffness of the sheath are slowly dwindling after I realised it's only a £17.50 knife and it knocks spots off the Mora sheaths of similar price and more. So what did I expect really?

The sheath also has thumb push jimping to aid removal of the blade...

02Mar201238.jpg

-and a drainage hole...

02Mar201237.jpg

The clip can be removed for those not wanting the lovely orangey goodness. It leaves a robust channel, which no doubt can be used to make some more interesting method of neck/baldrick carry for all you folks that like to mess about with other options...

02Mar201233.jpg

Personally, I like it fully removed as it makes it more compact. And for all you folks that have Craghoppers trousers (pants for you US dudes), the inner pocket on the main cargo pocket is perfect for carrying it. I wore it in there all day today, and it was unobtrusive and not in anyway noticeable...

02Mar201231.jpg

Thus suitably tooled up, I went on some epic adventures to test it out.

Last edited:

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I missed comparing how compact this knife really is compared to other knives. So these pics should sort that out...

02Mar20122.jpg

02Mar2012.jpg

Stuffed into a pocket is where a knife like this has its strengths. Most survival knives are way too bulky and are usually left at home at basecamp or off the body in a pack. In those situations it can easily be parted from you when you need it most. A compact knife carried without any hassle is usually on you. I think this knife is better considered as a survival knife over the Ultimate due to that. It is almost as easily carried as a folder. I for one would rather have a fixed blade on me if I was stranded in the middle of knowhere with delinquent rabbits and sheep surrounding me.

02Mar201244.jpg

It's a strange yet attractive shape. It appeals to both the outdoorsyness in me, as well as the mil-tac side. With a darker handle, I would even call it a good looking knife. Something I can't say about the Ultimate.

02Mar201247.jpg

As with the Ultimate, the serrations in no way hindered cutting ability, in fact, it aided in cutting compared to my own Deval Bushy with a plain edge on the same branch. I've said it before and I'll say it again. I HATE serrations. But on these knives, they work very very well. I'd rather they were there than not. Especially on this small blade as they make the knife hit way above its weight.

02Mar201240.jpg

Now for something I really do dislike. All that damned orange. I know it has a valid place on a survival knife. Yeah, I do. Honestly. It aids in finding the knife if you lose it, or drop it in dense foliage. Or does it? Not exactly scientific, but I decided to chuck it a long way into dense woods with a deep leaf litter layer. Here it is...

02Mar201232.jpg

I threw it high and long. Full on hard throw here. Not your underarm girly stuff. Proper man throw. I immediately regretted it as it bounced off a tree about seven metres in and went at an angle I couldn't follow. As I couldn't walk in a straight line to it and had to climb over debris and around bushes. I quickly lost any idea where it had gone. Bad idea.

No word of a lie. It took me 20 mins of search and I was about to call it a day and have a brew, when...

02Mar201246.jpg

I seriously doubt I would have found it without that orange. And I was damned lucky it didn't bury itself in the soft leaf litter. But anyway, I repeated the experiment again and again without as much man throwing involved. It does work, it is much easier to find. I also discovered that this little knife is an amazing thrower. Now this is cool as I love throwing a knife that is capable of repeat success...

02Mar201245.jpg

So now what. Well I was going to give it a miss, but I know loads of folks would be moaning about the lack of feathersticks and batonning. So here you are you pervs. It does the job. The blade size isn't big enough for large rounds, but it will cope. I thought the swedge would also hinder the ability to baton, but it didn't....

02Mar201218.jpg

02Mar201217.jpg

02Mar201216.jpg

Again the serrations in no way hinder the knifes ability to perform...

02Mar201214.jpg

02Mar201213.jpg

So what do I think overall?

Well, it is so small and compact that I can see me carrying this alot along with my own knife. It is just a fun knife. But on top of that, it can be used where you would never want to put your own knife. For the price I'd have it over the more expensive Moras. It's a knife that is so small and light you forget you have it on you. In essence, that for me is what a survival knife is about. It is the knife you have on you when the brown hits the fan. This is what a survival knife is all about. Keep one in your first aid kit. Put another in your pocket. You won't notice it is there. Use your main knife as you always do. If you lose it, leave it at home because it is bulky or too high profile for where you are going. You'll still have this Compact on you. Just don't forget it is there if you go on a night out. Oh and buy some Craghoppers with that pocket within a pocket. It's great in that.

02Mar20126.jpg

Last edited:

laro13

Nomad
Jan 21, 2010
The Netherlands
Great review JD!

Looks like a knife you want to hate, but in the end you have to respect for what it is.

What model are those Craghoppers and are they a comfort fit for those who are not so "lean" as the Bear him self.;)

cheers,

Jasper

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Regarding serrations on knives such as this,wouldn't they be better near the tip as in the vic soldier?

I hate them too but for cutting purposes in a 'survival' situation,do you think that configuration would be more effective?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Nice review. Would you pay £35 for it (as it will undoubtably be)

Yes, I still would rate it before the more expensive Mora, and alsthough it will never replace my main blade (that's just laughable), it makes a great backup hidden in my pocket when on exped or even long yomps. I bought the Ultimate after testing it and gaining respect, but would never use it day in day out as my main knife. This knife I would use daily in conjunction with my own knife. It's just a knife that disappears in your gear or pockets, it is light and robust, and as cheap as it is, would do dodgy jobs I'd not put my knife anywhere near.

What model are those Craghoppers and are they a comfort fit for those who are not so "lean" as the Bear him self.;)

Cheers Jasper. I think most Craghoppers with cargo pockets have this 'phone' pouch inside the right leg pocket. All mine do from the Kiwis etc, to the BGs.

Regarding serrations on knives such as this,wouldn't they be better near the tip as in the vic soldier?

I hate them too but for cutting purposes in a 'survival' situation,do you think that configuration would be more effective?

In all honesty, where they are is perfect. Due to the cutting force in the lower area being greater, they perform very well. I think nearer the tip would hinder performance. If you use the knife as you would a plain edge, you don't even notice a difference.

Last edited:

ex-member Raikey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 4, 2010
cracking review mate,...still not my cup o cha,..but,..

it has an appealling line (the arced spine) to it,...

sort of like a Benchmade Activator, but tactical....

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Orangeness aside, I think I actually quite like that one. Apart from the sexy Fire Starter it's the only other thing in the BG range that looks half decent.

I'd like a slightly thicker handle I think, the chunky rubber on an old Buck I have works really well.

Once the mickey taking is over I wouldn't mind one attached to my PFD

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE