Bear Grylls Compact Fixed Blade - Small Review

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
A couple of people have told me they don't like the serrations because they are fiddly to sharpen and difficult if not imposible to maintain in the field. Hopefully, this post will go some way to amend that myth.

The serrations on the Gerbers are ground on only the one side, the other side being far more plain and not so deeply grooved ...

P1000814.jpg

P1000815.jpg

Using a flat stone like a DC4, it is that reverse plainer side you sharpen, leaving the deeply grooved side well alone. You just sharpen as you would the fine edge on the rest of the knife and follow that same angle of the secondary bevel on the plain edge...

P1000816.jpg

Just use one motion from the serrated edge up to the fine edge and tip. When you sharpen the other side of the knife, you just sharpen the fine edge. Eventually you will get a secondary bevel on the reverse of the serrated edge which blends in to the plain edge and it will be as sharp as it was when new.

P1000817.jpg

It's that simple.

You can of course use a small ceramic rod to pay attention to the ground side of the serrated edge. But like most, I can't be bothered with that hassle. This method works and takes half the work to maintain than the plain edges as you are only sharpening the one side. Eventually the serrated teeth will wear down to nubs, but they will still be sharp and perform well. After the first sharpening, they also will never roll again.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
They won't release this as a plain edge version. They have released an exclusive Compact that is similar though..

CompactTactical.jpg

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Ah, forgot about that. Good luck mate. It should be here by then and I'll send you both versions along for you to play with.

Don't fall in love with those antler jobbies, they will beguile and tempt you with their wickedness. Too late for me.

AndyP

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 30, 2005
Staffs
They won't release this as a plain edge version. They have released an exclusive Compact that is similar though..

CompactTactical.jpg

Wouldnt mind a look at one of them myself JD. For a back up light carry option..

Give us a shout please fella when you know of the whereabouts in the UK..

Top review by the way.. Really enjoyed it..

Andy.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Are you the official BG/Gerber rep in the UK, JD? Or just an enthusiast? Just wondering how you know when they're landing here?

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Wouldnt mind a look at one of them myself JD. For a back up light carry option..

Give us a shout please fella when you know of the whereabouts in the UK..

Top review by the way.. Really enjoyed it..

Andy.

Cheers Andy. I think those plain edge versions are an exclusive only available from one US company. I'll investigate further and let you know.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers Andy. I think those plain edge versions are an exclusive only available from one US company.

That'll explain why I couldn't find one earlier, there's only so many pages of black and orange google images I can take before admitting defeat.

If you get any info I'd be interested too Jon

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
JD

What holds the knife in the sheath? It looks from the pictures that it might be piece of plastic that bends and would break over time. Seems to me that coming out of it's sheath is a potential problem with some nasty consequences, particularly if it's in a pocket.....

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The retention is solid and the clip that retains it is reinforced and large. No chance of it failing or breaking with use. The plastic used is tough and thick.

02Mar201239.jpg

02Mar201233.jpg

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
The retention is solid and the clip that retains it is reinforced and large. No chance of it failing or breaking with use. The plastic used is tough and thick.
Thanks JD. Good Review. Seriously considering and like others also interested in info on the Limited Edition plain edge.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
From this picture, it seems the retention system is very different. It clips into two grooves either side of the scales.

CompactTactical.jpg

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE