Bear Buster Had No Choice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Yonderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 17, 2007
NW Alberta, Canada
This happened a week ago a couple of hours north of me.
This is one lucky guy!

http://calsun.canoe.ca/News/Alberta/2007/08/25/pf-4445246.html

Bear buster had no choice
Hunter kills mother grizzly bear with knife as she charged and attacked
By DEREK LOGAN, SUN MEDIA

GRANDE PRAIRIE -- A hunter who fought off and mortally wounded a charging grizzly bear last week said he had no chance to run and was forced to defend himself.

Chris McLellan, 32, was scouting locations for bow-hunting in a farmer's oat field about 25 km southwest of Grande Prairie Aug. 15 when he ran into the mother grizzly with three cubs.

McLellan said the bear had been partially concealed by a knoll in the field and he didn't see her until she stood up in front of him 60 yards away.

"I started to shake, man," McLellan told Sun Media as he continues to recover from his injuries at an Edmonton hospital.

"I had a camouflage mask on so I took that off so that she could see that I was a human, thinking that would scare her away. I started waving my arms and screaming and it never fazed her. She just dropped down to all fours and charged."

There was no room for choice, said McLellan, as the distance was too short and the bear would have run him down.

"She never slowed down," he said.

"She never made a turn. She was attacking. There was no bluffing. She just stared into my eyes the whole time and you could just hear her coming, huffing and puffing across that field."

McLellan had driven out to the field down Secondary Highway 666 before turning onto Range Road 73 and driving about four km.

He had only a digital camera and a hunting knife with 12-inch blade when he encountered the bear.

"I put my knife above my head and waited for her to hit me," he said. "She just mowed into me like a football check."

The grizzly rammed into his stomach and then grabbed his left arm with her jaws. As the two went down, McLellan plunged the knife into her back between the shoulder and neck.

The bear then bit him on his torso and his right arm but McLellan managed to stab her again twice in the neck.

The grizzly then turned and walked way, allowing McLellan to get up even though his left arm was now broken.

"I didn't even look at her at all," he said.

"I didn't even know I had killed it until the following day."

McLellan then met a farmer who called 911.

O

oilyrag

Ah! That's what those foot long survival swords are for, lucky he didn't just have his SAK in his pocket.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sadly , stuff happens. I don't blame the bear or the man.

It does do us good when we wander around in the safety of the outdoors where there are almost no dangerous creatures or even weather thats particularly dangerous to remember that its not like that in many places. Many of my American friends carry knives far larger than I do and carry guns more often than I do when out and about. Its worth remembering that their wilderness is not our wilderness!

Red

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Sadly , stuff happens. I don't blame the bear or the man.

It does do us good when we wander around in the safety of the outdoors where there are almost no dangerous creatures or even weather thats particularly dangerous to remember that its not like that in many places. Many of my American friends carry knives far larger than I do and carry guns more often than I do when out and about. Its worth remembering that their wilderness is not our wilderness!

Red

I agree, shame for both of them. You gotta love our outdoors as theres practically nothing bitey, chewy, or stingy but i will have to disagree on the weather one as i nearly froze my bits off the otherday on top of a hill :eek:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Truly is a shame when these encounters happen, unfortunately one of the parties involved is always going to come off worse. My recent trip to BC showed just how often these meetings happen.
Despite all the advice and warnings of how fast bears travel, I still think my first move would be to run in the opposite direction. It must take some nerve to stand there bracing yourself with only a few inches of steel between you and the big hairy steam train heading in your direction.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Sad that the bloke seems (from the wording at least) to have justified what he did. I mean do the wwf or whatever seriously expect the bloke to sacrifice himself for the sake of 3 cubs and there mother, (I dont know if grizzley's are protected species, are they?) I wonder if peta have organised lots of manipulative press hate mail from tearful bambi kiddies to try and savage that mans conscience. It wouldnt surprise me.

Yonderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 17, 2007
NW Alberta, Canada
Shewie, running is the absolute worse thing you could do. It triggers a bear's predatory instincts. I know that standing your ground seems like it would be an extremely difficult thing to do when every instinct is to flee, but it is the right thing.
It is absolutely impossible for a human being to outrun a bear. I was bluff charged by a grizzly a few years ago that I surprised. I couldn't have run if I'd wanted to. My legs felt like rubber.

Three years ago on our annual moose hunting trip my BIL Leon came upon a grizzly sow and two cubs. Or rather, they came upon him. He was standing in the woods at the crossroads of two pipeline right of ways. He saw something brown in the trees about 150 yds away and assumed it to be a moose. Then the sow and cubs stepped out. He stood still and watched them thinking that when she was looking in the opposite direction he'd just kind of fade back into the tree line. Well, she did turn her head away and when he stepped back she noticed the movement and immediately stood on her hind legs and stared in his direction. Bears have fairly poor eyesight and she likely had no idea what she was looking at, but perceived a threat to her cubs and immediately charged, a cub on either side. He brought up his rifle and fired a warning shot into the ground as soon as she started towards him.
She kept coming and he fired another shot and she finally turned and headed into the deep bush.
I heard the shots and started towards the area thinking he'd shot a moose. I met my other two BILs on the trail and we walked up to where Leon was. We found him sitting on a stump shaking badly. He told us what had happened. We paced off the distance the bear had travelled. She was 110 yds away when she started and was 10 yds. from Leon when she turned! I'd heard the two shots and it seemed to me that there wasn't more than a second or two between them. He shoots a Browning BAR semi-auto in .270 Winchester.
That bear had traveled approximately a hundred yards in that brief time span!

I've lived in bear country all my life and I've had several bear encounters over the years. Black and grizz; and only two have resulted in the deaths of bears. These two were habituated black bears who'd lost their fear of humans and were posing a real threat.

In every wilderness encounter, luckily, the bears and myself were able to come to a mutual "you go your way and I'll go mine" understanding.

Fortunately, most bear encounters end with the human and the bear heading in opposite directions, both parties with racing pulses and no desire to repeat the encounter. As it should be.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yonderer

You`re probably right about the legs turning to rubber so there`s not much point trying to crawl away on hands and knees afterall.
We had an encounter with a 3-4 year old black bear near Jasper which was crossing the road about 90 yards ahead. I slowed the car to a stop and reached for the camera. As I removed the case the bear turned to look straight at us and then continued into the bush. I managed to get a nice shot of a bears backside if anyones interested.
We heard a tale in Banff about a black bear which apparently had been outside the Post House hotel ( think that`s what it was called) for a couple of days watching the automatic sliding doors as people came and went. It eventually walked up to the front doors, which slid open for him and proceeded to walk straight up to the check-in desk in reception. Can you imagine the receptionists face, I bet the CCTV tapes were interesing that day.
Apparently it was tranquilised and relocated over 140km away and was back with three weeks, which then led to it being terminated I believe.
Very sad indeed but what a remarkable creature.

Carcajou Garou

On a new journey
Jun 7, 2004
Canada
Shewie et all, listen to Yonderer's good words, bears are fast, very fast, then the clincher they are extremely powerful.

"It is absolutely impossible for a human being to outrun a bear. I was bluff charged by a grizzly a few years ago that I surprised. I couldn't have run if I'd wanted to. My legs felt like rubber."
A very normal reaction, you have literally seconds to perceive, think, react. Lets hope it doesn't happen to you.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE