Beans on toast

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Made some beans on toast for my vegetarian neighbours tea the other night as we were having a barbecue....

For the beans...

1 large red onion (homegrown)
4 cloves of garlic (homegrown)
sauteed till soft

Add 1lb peeled, chopped tomatoes (homegrown)
3tbs of muscavado sugar
2tbs of cider vinegar (home made)
2 tsp of worcester sauce
simmer till thickened

add 1lb fresh field beans (home grown)

Simmer until tender (5 mins)

Baked Field Beans by British Red, on Flickr

Then throw together a basic foccacia (only the rosemary and garlic were home grown here...)

Focaccia by British Red, on Flickr

...although the flour is local....from here

Windmill by British Red, on Flickr

Thick slice the foccacia , toast on the barbecue while the beans warm through, pour beans over bread. Simples.

Weirdly the meat eaters wanted some too:confused::confused:

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
You know the weird thing? You can't sell field beans in Britain! Most farmers grow them as nitrogen fixers and maybe feed them to pigs or just plough the lot under :(

I am growing a heritage variety (Wizard) for the first time this year. Imagine something half the size of a broad bean but as sweet as a petis pois. They really are a revelation! I get now why Italians go nuts for bean / tomato / garlic combinations. Will experiment with more next year...but most of this years will be turned over to seed production so that I can increase the amount we grow next year :)

the interceptor boy

Life Member
Mar 12, 2008
Angleterre.
Hi British red
Add 1lb peeled chopped onions (home grown). ! Should that be tomatoes, or am I wrong, how do you get the colour red in your sauce in the pan.

For the beans!
1 large red onion
4cloves of garlic
Sauteed till soft.

Cheers the interceptor boy.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
It certainly looks deliscious! I've got to get "smell-a-vision" added to my computor. Do you have any pix of the raw beans? I've never heard of "field" beans before. We usually use navy beans for baked bean recipes.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Thanks Red. I cain't tell much bout them in the shells; might or might not be able to freshly shelled for that matter. I've only ever seen fresh peas (including field peas and blackeyed peas) over here; that is, apart from butter-beans and lima-beans. Usually get other beans dried. Hopefully I'll be able to recognize them though

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
...they go well with a nice chianti....

Hannibal_Lecter.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Bloody vegetarians made you leave out the all important belly pork Red and ruin the meal. Great meal Red but sadly 'empty' without the all important belly pork :(

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Mmmm - there was a magnificent roast dinner tonight. Its been a poor carrot season...but the parsnips are an inspiration! Plump, sweet as a nut...firm, tender.....in the oven within 15 minutes of lifting :D

Its all worth while at this time of year!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Is that the mill in the middle of Boston opposite the pub across the canal. I stayed in that pub on my way home years ago. When I looked out the window in the morning I thought I must have taken a wrong turn somewhere the night before. :hic:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE