Bad Boy Beans

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
I have cooked up a family favourite (last night and this morning) for later in the week. We call them Bad Boy Beans. They are adapted from this (genuine) Mexican recipe. Mostly, I've changed the amounts of each ingredient to round it up to whole packs.

Ingredients (all available at Sainsbury's)
1 x 500g bag of Pinto Beans
1 x small white onion
1 x red onion
1 x red bell pepper
1 x pack of hot, fresh chilli peppers (optional)
1 teaspoon of dried coriander
8 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon of paprika
1 x 225g bag of chorizo
1 x 300g pack of bacon
1 tin of tomatoes
1 pack of 6 fresh tomatoes
1/2 a tube of tomato puree
1 x 100g bag of fresh coriander
Salt to taste

Beans and Broth
Take one 500 g bag of Sainsbury's Pinto Beans and soak them overnight in water. In the morning, replace the water and add one small halved onion, four peeled whole cloves of garlic, a teaspoon of dried coriander and a teaspoon of paprika. Bring to the boil and and boil for ten minutes. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Once cooked, remove the garlic cloves and onion.

Tomato Sauce
Chop up the bacon and slice the chorizo. Place into a big pan and fry gently for ten minutes. Add the finely chopped onion, bell pepper, 4 cloves of finely chopped garlic and the chilli peppers (to achieve the required heat - optional). Fry for a further 5 minutes or so, until the onion is translucent. Chop the fresh tomatoes and add them to the pot, along with the tin of tomatoes and tomato puree. Add a little water and simmer for 10 minutes.

Bringing it together
Add the beans (complete with their broth) to the tomato sauce. Add the salt (to taste) and simmer on a very low heat for at least 30 minutes. Add the finely chopped fresh coriander once the cooking is complete.

This makes around 15 servings of bad boy beans, assuming you are having them as a side dish (like traditional baked beans). You could have them as a meal in themselves (like the cowboys in the movies). Highly recommended and certainly worth a try.

Last edited:

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Sounds delicious, i bet there is some serious farting going on after a couple of portions, when reading your recipe i was imagining having them with some crusty wholegrain bread

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Everyone loves their own farts whether they admit it or not is a different story.

Suppose you could easy soak your beans overnight if your camp was staying in the same spot for a couple of days, chorizo definitely travels well when camping and bacon easy lasts a couple of days out of the fridge as long as it is not roasting hot temps

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Maybe that is where the subconscious urge to take a whiff comes from when someone exclaims their disgust at someone else farting, your subconscious knows it's good for you, a bit like when you get a craving for a food stuff that contains vitamins and minerals you are lacking

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Same here but my own smell like heaven especially after i've had about 4 cloves of garlic

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
It's the sort of dish you could freeze an Ovaltine pot full (or similar screw-top container) and put it in your pack frozen. It'd be ok for a day or two.

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
It's the sort of dish you could freeze an Ovaltine pot full (or similar screw-top container) and put it in your pack frozen. It'd be ok for a day or two.

What the man above said, Ian is a master of transporting and keeping frozen meals for camping. He also can do things with a half cabbage and an onion that will make your mouth water.
Si

Last edited:

Jack Bounder

Nomad
Dec 7, 2014
Dorset
Took some beans out into the forest today and heated them up on my meths stove. So much better than baked beans and nice to eat them out in the woods. I'm making up another batch tomorrow.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE