Beach Shack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Well it started out as a dog walk with the intention of testing out my new camera (Pentax W10 if you are wondering).

Got to a nice quiet bit of beach and found a heap of decent sized driftwood that has managed to avoid the countless grockel fires. It started at first with me wondering hmmm now what could i do with all those goodies. and ended up trying to make the best i could with only my gerber and whatever the sea had washed in.

Its a little scruffy and far from finished but figured this may well be a good place to see if anyone had any good ideas. probably going to attempt a stonewall along some of the front as this is going to be taking the brunt of the wind and the waves.I think the roof is going to be the tricky bit, so im heading back tomorrow to see what i can come up with.

Any way so far it looks like this:CLICK

..... apologies for the link couldnt get a pic to show.

led

Settler
Aug 24, 2004
uk
shack01.jpg

Looks like you (both) had great fun there! Any reeds growing nearby for the roof?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I haven't heard the word grockle since I left Devon - cheers mate....

Eat meat....grill a grockle :)

Thats a fine lookin spotty dog too ;)

I'd be tempted to use a builders drop sheet for a roof (the £2 tarp as my mates call it cos I alwys carry one in my leg pocket when out and about)

Red

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Best nights sleep I have ever had are camping on the seashore with the sound of waves, makes you sleep like the dead.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Na mate - used to have a window sticker "Don't mind me - I just live here"!

Of course the strange folk below the tamar called em "Emits" and the old err "free trapper" who taught me field craft just knew 'em as "vurrners" :)

Red

maverix

Forager
May 16, 2005
North Devon coast
Aha thanks for the pic led. Am I missing something or should i be able to do that too ?

Ive considered the tarp, however Im trying to stick to whatever i find on the beach for now, im currently considering making tiles from all the plastic bottles etc. that have been washed up. there is a stack of brambles behind which ill trail over the top to try and blend it into the "Cliff" behind, but first off im gonna go look a bit further up the coast to see what goodies have washed up there. I know of at least two whole tree trunks still left over from the Boscastle flood. you never know there may well still be half a caravan somewhere along there too.

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
British Red said:
Na mate - used to have a window sticker "Don't mind me - I just live here"!

Of course the strange folk below the tamar called em "Emits" and the old err "free trapper" who taught me field craft just knew 'em as "vurrners" :)

Red

I wonder what derogatory term the South Downs natives have for you?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
nobby said:
I wonder what derogatory term the South Downs natives have for you?

"incomers" is normal round here :D which I am :lmao:. "Soft Southerner" seemed the phrase in Yorkshire though :eek:

Mantic

Nomad
May 9, 2006
UK
British Red said:
"incomers" is normal round here :D which I am :lmao:. "Soft Southerner" seemed the phrase in Yorkshire though :eek:

"Soft Southerner"! Right! We've got a war! :BlueTeamE

:)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE