Beach bushcraft

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Disco1

Settler
Jan 31, 2015
UK
I was wondering if anyone as transferred their bush craft skills to bush crafting on the coastline beach etc. Carving driftwood, collecting seaweeds, harvesting shell fish, making salt, sea fishing etc?.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The native cultures of the Pacific Northwest coast have a profound relationship with the ocean and the the rivers.
Best defined as the coast from Alaska in the north, south including Haida Gwaii to Washington and Orgeon.
Tsimshan, Tlingit & Haida in the north, Kwakwaka'wakw midcoast then Salish, Musqueam and others to the south.

The largest collection of "bushcraft" tools and equipment can be found in the University of British Columbia Museum of Anthropology.
Tools, fishing gear, carvings, dishes and spoons, those things. Plan to spend 2 whole days for study.
Fortunately, all you need do is Google UBC/MOA and go straight into an online collection of some 40,000 pieces that you can sort!

I carve abalone, clam and mussel shell as inlay in many of my wood carvings. I won't carve driftwood for fear that I'll hit a sandgrain
with a top quality carving tool and the repair is tedious.

cranmere

Settler
Mar 7, 2014
Somerset, England
I've always loved the sea and if I had the chance I would live by the beach. As I said above I make things from beachcombing finds, mostly jewellery which I've sold on occasion. I made enough to live on in Brazil, braiding bracelets on tourist's wrists while sitting on the beach at Ipenema. I'm an open water swimmer and scuba diver, you have never tasted scallops like those which you collect and cook within an hour or two.

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Part of our Bushcrafting and Living history life. Visitors love the Bronze Age pot filled with salt made from the sea along with representations of fishing methods and our shells. A favourite with young children is the large (plastic) lobster that followed me home one day from an Oxfam shop. I make no excuses for our plastic fish either as real ones get smelly during a display. A little skin coracle journey on an estuary or river is always refreshing as well.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Does this count? 29 pounds (after being filleted) of Redfish caught by me, James (my oldest grandson) and Barbara:

1058480_4823477036487_1015490042_n.jpg

974174_4823454195916_1094094257_n.jpg

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
I'm pretty lucky as I moved from South London to the Coast about 17 years ago, the best move I ever made and have enjoyed Bush crafting and Beach Crafting and my wife and I go Beachcombing when ever the weather is good, we find the best time is after a storm or just heavy sea's it's amazing what gets washed up on the shore also it's great for honing your skills when it comes to seaweed, limpets, sea cabbages etc. the list goes on and sometimes when we get the chance we light a fire and cook lunch!

Brynglas

It definitely counts! I grew up not far from the sea in south west Wales so the coast and beaches have always played a big part in my life. I'm more of a city dweller these days but I'm lucky enough to be able to visit Islay and Jura off the West Coast of Scotland several times a year. Foraging on the shore is one of my favourite things and I've had some great kayaking trips up the coast and around the isles.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
We do a fair bit of fire lighting and get the odd crab etc, we're intending on fishing more this year and diving for spider crabs, I don't know seaweeds very well so we don't use them although there's loads of it.

The coast is a great resource and it's fantastic being near it, even from just an enjoyment value...

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Used to live right on the front in Crail, Fife. The front windows were about thirty yards from high tide and would be salt stained in the winter storms. Had pretty much my own little bay at the front door and I used to wade out and dive to set my creels regularly. (Ate a lot of lobster in those days). Wonderfully rocky shore with heaps of fossils. Tend to get lots in an other world when it comes to rockpools, spend hours lost in them. If given a choice of one place to live in an EOTWAWKI scenario then the shoreline would be a safe bet for me (though I live up in the hills away from it these days). A lot easier to find resources on the shoreline. And I do like seafood. Comparatively few seaweeds you cant eat and all sorts of things get washed up.
Many happy days snorkling for things and hunting razor clams. Eat like a king at the shore.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE