BCUK Steels

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
My new BCUK steel arrived yesterday. :eek:):
It rocks! Some hastily prepared char cloth caught the shower of sparks so easily, I have now burnt my fingers!!! This is from someone who had singularly failed to create fire from anything other than matches.
To say it comes with some flint is an understatement, there is enough to last a lifetime.
Everybody should have one of these, thanks Tony :You_Rock_
Rob
:chill:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Glad you like it mate. I put as much flint in as i can up to a certain weight.
I figure that the more people have got the more they can experiment :wink: I often chip a bit off to create a new striking edge :biggthump

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Tony said:
Glad you like it mate. I put as much flint in as i can up to a certain weight.
I figure that the more people have got the more they can experiment :wink: I often chip a bit off to create a new striking edge :biggthump

Is there any specific type of flint that is best used for firelighting?
I live in Sussex which is largely chalkland with heaps of flint available and I've noticed great variations in flint type.

Any ideas?

Martin

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I believe that the darker the flint the better. I usually grab a lump when I'm out and about on the Norfolk coast.

Dave

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
I agree with Dave ... the lighter or more transparent the flint the more likely it it to shatter - although with practice it is still usable, just harder if you are new to the game.

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
although with practice it is still usable, just harder if you are new to the game.
Yeah, any glassy stone should give you sparks to some degree..... I've even used stuff found on a slag heap (mining waste)....

Ed

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
In the s/east you will find basically two types of flint, brown and black, black flint is somewhat harder and apparently sparks easier, but I use black, brown,
and not found a great difference.
Black is better for knapping, and knapping flint is better dug than surface picked where it could be frosted ( not that I'm a knapper)
Any one coming to Ashdown and needs some flint give me a p.m. and I'll bring a few bags down.

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
steve a said:
In the s/east you will find basically two types of flint, brown and black, black flint is somewhat harder and apparently sparks easier, but I use black, brown,
and not found a great difference.
Black is better for knapping, and knapping flint is better dug than surface picked where it could be frosted ( not that I'm a knapper)
Any one coming to Ashdown and needs some flint give me a p.m. and I'll bring a few bags down.

I was going to Suggest that Andy. I have access to lots of beaches made of the stuff!! I can even pick it out of the chalk cliffs, so you won't get fresher than that !! :eek:):

thanks for all of the info folks. All I need now is a steel and I can get practicing. I think there may be another order coming your way Tony !!!

Cheers,

Martin

tenbears10

Native
Oct 31, 2003
xxxx
steve a said:

Steve where do you get flint near you? I'm in north beds and all we have round here is mud, clay and more mud nothing vaugely flint like.

Bill

RJP

Jan 22, 2004
Kent
shinobi said:
All I need now is a steel and I can get practicing. I think there may be another order coming your way Tony !!!

Do it :naughty: , you won't be disappointed!

Rob

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
Tenbears10 I dig it up !!!, now I don't want to get into an argument about the quarrying industry but if you need some give me a shout. If on a map you draw a line from the Wash down to the Isle of White,the area on the right of the line contains Flint bearing land, up around Bedford there is a deep overlay of clay, hence the brickworks being there, but below the clay you will find flint bearing strata, just need a 360 to dig it !!!.

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
hootchi said:
Does anyone know anywhere on or near the North Devon coast that has flint? South Devon? or anywhere vaguly near me for that matter! Much appreciated.

Round here (Sidmouth) I'm drowning in flint. The guys next door have a flint wall, I have to be careful lighting fires because there's so much in the soil. I don't know how localised the flint is though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE