BCUK Meetup - Archive

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jack29g

Forager
Sep 17, 2004
Leicester
i would like to come with my dad but would need to know a few things.(i haven't been to a meetup before) Where is it, how much will it cost, what do we do are families welcome, how do you pay who goes how many spaces are there?

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Cheers for setting the dates early.

Last August was brilliant so i'm going to get both dates in my diary now !

Cheers, A

My advice to anyone thinking about it - the atmosphere's brilliant - you don't have to know anyone or anything - just come and join in !

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
All the details will be up in the next couple of weeks, including payment etc.

As for spaces, it's well catered for with a capacity of hundreds. Remember that the Moots are going to be longer than last year at four days rather than three, so the cost will be slightly more but not a lot. The May Moot will also be slightly more than the Wales Moot as the site costs more, but again, the cost will not be a lot more.

More details ASAP :eek:):

They're both going to be great get togethers where people can relax, learn more about what they're interested in and get to know the other members. Remember as well that families are welcome :biggthump

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
i'll try to come. any chance of a meet further north?
if i go, i'll probably fly/take the train (probably easier to get edged tools on a train than a plane.)

Ed

Admin
Admin
Aug 27, 2003
South Wales Valleys
Another Plea for a Northern meet

just read the ashdown threads and now im dying to go to a meet
Well the why don't you do as the ashdown guys (and s.wales, westcountry and east anglia) have done and organise one yourself :)
I'm sure there of plenty of members here that would be interested. Why not start a thread on it and see if you can get a few together and organise a venue.... start small.... it'll soon grow.

:biggthump
Ed

shinobi

Settler
Oct 19, 2004
Eastbourne, Sussex.
www.sussar.org
Celtic Dragon said:
Why oh why, do all the bushcrft meets and moots fall on weekends I'm on shift?? :rant: :( I'll see if I can book it off :D
Why should we have to use up all of our holiday to fit in with the "Normals"?
I think we should organise a "Shiftworkers moot" :wink:
We could all sit around and talk about the times we can't make it !!

At least we don't HAVE to go shopping on a Saturday, We can go when it's quieter :eek:):

Martin

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
Its the same for me - I ALWAYS work on a Saturday so any meet-ups I want to attend have to be arranged for :roll:

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Spring bcuk Meet - dates are 27th - 30th May (Friday, Sat, Sun, Monday)

This will keep it seperate from the july one!

Any questions post them on here or PM me :D

I'm trying to finalise some stuff now, but these are the details that you probably need!

The meet is for everyone, you don't have to be able to teach things to others, if you want to just come and relax, that's fine, taken in the workshops that you want and forget the rest ;) Kids are most welcome and there's going to be a few activities for them as well ;)

It’s going to be at Braziers Park which is north of reading, about 30 minutes, the address is

Braziers Park Collage, Braziers Lane, Ipsden, Nr Wallingford. Oxon. OX10 6AN I'll add some directions down below.

The dates are 27th - 30th May
The cost will be 20 pounds per adult and £10 for children between 12 and 16, children under 12 are free.

These meets are for everyone, no matter how involved you are in bushcraft, bring the family :D

At the Wales meet last year we had a large list of activities such as fire lighting, bow making, snares and traps, tracking, foraging etc These were provided for the members by the members which was great, anyone with any skills that they would like to share give me a PM. The activities will be a bit different but just as pertinent and exciting and it's a great opportunity to get together with the other members of the forum.

So far we've had a goo dnumber of members and schools offering to do workshops, here's some of what's going on over the weekend...

Axe workshop – Axe skills and uses, safety etc
Bow Making – The idea is that we make some bows and get to use them!
Archery – We’ll have a good quantity of kit and some woodland.
Knife making – We’ll have forging demo and knife making (last year this was fantastic!)
Sheath making
Tracking Workshop
Friction Firelighting and other fire making
Wilderness First Aid
Foraging
Navigation
Snares and traps – What’s legal, safety and how to make them etc
Canoeing - open canoes, safety, skills etc, this will be on the Thames just down the road from the site :D
and more!

Here's the directions

From Reading, 20-25 minutes

Cross Caversham Bridge (over Thames) and take left turn (NW) onto…
A4074 towards Oxford/Wallingford/Woodcote
Just stay on this road …….
Past Pack horse, Packsaddle and Fox pubs
Past The Oratory School (on your left side)
Past turnings for Woodcote.
Down very long open hill…….
Take turn on right sign says Braziers Park
On to single track lane Follow lane to end
Go through gates onto main drive and park at house.
If camping. Turn left at gates (Don’t go in through main gates) 200 metres.
First right , narrow lane, entrance to Camping 500 metres on right.

From Oxford, 30/35 minutes

Take ring road south (SW) Following signs for…
A4074 Wallingford/(Dorchester)/Reading
Past Wallingford
2/3 miles. Look out for Left turn sign says Braziers Park

From Henley-on-Thames, 30-35 minutes

From central Henley head NW on A4130 Nettlebed/Wallingford
6/7 miles. At Wallingford roundabout take A4074 Reading (S)
2/3 miles. Look out for Left turn sign says Braziers Park

Here's some info on the braziers site:-
Braziers Park is situated in a picturesque part of the Chilterns, on the edge of the village of Ipsden, near Wallingford. The house (a grade II listed building) was built in 1688 as a country residence,
remodelled in the Strawberry Gothic Style in the 1790’s and enlarged into the house you see today.
Surrounded by 50 acres of fields the Braziers community was founded in 1950 with the aim of studying the art and science of living in a non-hierarchical group. It aims to run the centre through consensus in all decisions and presently has a core of 10 residential members.
With a strong emphasis on permaculture and organic gardening, Braziers Park is a wonderful and safe location which caters for all types of residential, camping and conference style workshops.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE