BCUK BUSHMOOT summer 2005 Poll

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Are you coming to the BCUK BUSHMOOT?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Ok how many of you are coming to the summer BCUK BUSHMOOT ?

if this is the first you have heard of this event (have you been living in a cave on mars with you finger in your ears?? :confused: ) the details are below

BCUK BUSHMOOT SUMMER 2005

The dates are July 29th to Aug 1st

Any one is more than welcome to come for a day or for the whole period.

These meets are for everyone, no matter how involved you are in bushcraft, bring the family

workshops arranged for the event:

Forging knives with Pete bond, Flintknapping with John lord, sharpening, long bow making, leather sheath making, primitive deadfalls and snares, knots, cordage, fire by friction bowdrill and handrill (not yet finalised), archery, Navigation without a compass, plant walk (not yet finalised), Tracking (not yet finalised), locating water on the dunes (not yet finalised)

The cost for the campsite will be £20 an adult and £10 for 12-16 years and free below that. If you can just make a night or two it will be £7 a night.

You can pay on the day or If you would like to pay via paypal then the address is shop@bushcraftuk.net

Here's some info about the site.

The estate has an incredibly varied mixture of terrain with:

• 300 acres of forest including broad leaf coppice and ancient woodland
• 5 square kilometres of sand dunes (the second largest and highest in Europe)
• 4.5 kilometres of coastline (with the second largest tidal change in the world)
• 6 kilometres of river
• an estuary
• 3 natural springs
• 2 castles
• numerous streams and ponds

The outstanding diversity of flora and fauna on this site has earned it no less than five designations.

• SSSI Site of Special Scientific Interest
• NNR National Nature Reserve
• SPC Special Area of Conservation
• SAM scheduled ancient monument
• Heritage Coast

Our base camp is fully equipped with running water, toilets, showers and a purpose built lecture building for when indoor lectures are appropriate

The nearest bus and train stations are located in the city of Bridgend

A map showing myther mawr in relation to the city of Bridgend and the M4 motorway:
map3.gif

A map showing the Merthyr Mawr estate, the red arrow marks the BCUK bushmoot car park:
map1.gif

A satellite photo of the area shown in the map above:
phot1.gif

You are welcome to join us any time from 9:30 on Friday the 29th finishing at 12:00am monday Aug 1st

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I'll be there with Lady (she doesn't like being called 'Mrs') and mini (perhaps he should be birdshot?) Buckshot :)

Cheers

Mark

M

marcja

I'll be there nice and early on friday, anybody else plan on arriving early on the Firday?

Wolfie

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 19, 2004
S.Wales
I'll be there with the family. I've booked the time off work......to spend a weekend camping at the place where I work!!!!! :rolleyes: :)

Elliott

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2004
Dorset
I am really upset as I missed the last one due to starting a family break on the bank holiday of the previous meet and guess what, I am also on holiday at the same time as the July meet. I will get to one of these moots sometime! :(

Hope it goes well for all with lots of new skills picked up and kit admiration aplenty

Elliott

M

michael

:D :D

Sorry if this has already been covered, but what are the food arrangements, shall we bring our own, or are going to live off the land or somethings else, thanks :cool:

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
you will need to bring and cook your own food, there will be a hangi (ground oven) with a suckling pig or deer which is for everyone to tuck into, but it will only be for the one day and you cannot rely on it to feed everyone.

there is a supermarket just down the road for those of you with families or who dont wish to cart an entire four days worth of food down to Myther mawr.

there will be a number of large barbecue sites (made from oil drums) dotted around the woods, as well as a large communial fire which you can cook on

M

marcja

Stuart said:
there will be a number of large barbecue sites (made from oil drums) dotted around the woods, as well as a large communial fire which you can cook on

Stuart, if I'm right in thinking no fires are allowed other than the ones mentioned above. Could I get away with using my brazier? As you know they are essentially a stove, allbeit one that burns natural materials.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
marcja said:
Stuart, if I'm right in thinking no fires are allowed other than the ones mentioned above. Could I get away with using my brazier? As you know they are essentially a stove, allbeit one that burns natural materials.

There will be one or two communial fires but we would prefer if people didnt start a new fire every time they wanted to cook, braziers will be fine though as long as the fire is not on the ground its ok

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE