BCB crusader cookset V Webtex Warrior

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tristar777

Nomad
Mar 19, 2011
North Somerset UK
Hi. Just to say I have the BCB Crusader full set and have used and abused it for a couple of years now. I cannot add much to what has been said, bomb proof, last for years etc but I do believe they are made in the UK ~~(Wales I think), that is another selling point for me! As Dave Canterbury always bangs on about US made and jobs, I always look for items that employ British jobs! just my way and worth a thought!

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I really wasn't impressed with the Pathfinder set up, great idea but let down by one or two areas. I'll stick to my 58 pattern, mow if BCB did an exact copy of the 58 bottle in stainless there would be no competition at all.

kaizersoza

Trekking Troubador
Jan 12, 2014
Swansea
yep the Crusader was one of the first bits of kit I bought when I started wid camping and I still use it to this day, more now on day hikes or picnics because My kit has evolved, it may be a bit heavy for the lightweight guys but it will last a lifetime, no matter how hard you abuse it, great kit

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
I succumbed.
I am now the proud owner of both the Webtex Warrior and the BCB crusader cup and cook sets.
I really enjoy using both.
Pros and cons as far as i can see are as follows;

The webtex is cheaper but ever so slightly smaller.
The cup does not have any measurement markings on the side and to date i have not found a manufactured lid for it to reduce boil times (The BCB lid is not the right shape).

The handles are on the opposite side of the cup to the crusader and are on the convex (outside) of the kidney shaped curve. the crusader handles are on the inside. I have found no difference to the usability with either set up and find both comfortable to hold and use.

One thing that i did find was that there is a greater gap around the bottom of the cup with the crusader when sat on the stove. The result being that more of the flames lick the outside of the cup. The webtex is a tighter fit on the stove which may well increase efficiency.

The burner cup on the Crusader is bigger and fits a meths burner although the cup practically sits on top of the burner and so smothers it so you have to raise it using a couple of nails or similar.
The burner cup on the Webtex is slightly small for the Hexi blocks but this does not prevent them from burning just as well.

I am sure that i would not have bought the webtex set had i originally purchased the BCB, but i am now glad that i have both.
I can brew and cook at the same time if i have room to take both with me and my son can have his own cook kit when we go out on trips.

I have recently been looking at the swiss army mess tin and cook set. Its relatively cheap and again looks like a good piece of kit.
Do i need one - NO
Do i want one - Hell yes.

With them costing barely 10 quid delivered i am sure i will get my moneys worth testing it against the Webtex and Crusader and can spend yet more time designing meths burners from cans and tins and then making up cook kits so that i can just choose and appropriate one for the job and stuff it n my bag.

Just for good measure i cooked up breakfast in my garden this morning with my 8 year old son.
Sausage egg and bacon all washed down with ample servings of tea.

Just out of interest, does anybody know how i can get hold of a decent metal lid for the crusader that won't cost £16?

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
yep the Crusader was one of the first bits of kit I bought when I started wid camping and I still use it to this day, more now on day hikes or picnics because My kit has evolved, it may be a bit heavy for the lightweight guys but it will last a lifetime, no matter how hard you abuse it, great kit
And you play the Uke!

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Angst

Apr 15, 2010
Hampshire
www.facebook.com
crusader set allllllllllllllllllllllll the way. and if you can get the arunfabs version of the metal cup too (arunfabs stamped on it) like i was lucky enough to recently courtesy of kev of endicotts then its better than anything out there in my opinion.

as a rule steer well clear of web tex, mil com and highlander. simply buy genuine brit army merchandise instead. easy peasy.

s

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
Yup
4237a0e9bd82df1c7ce0b15340e1a7bc.jpg
2ea16d1d28bd31e7aa0e09fe499b0254.jpg
c41d91f69776784fc28cf1cd54965fbb.jpg

The black unit is the Web-Tex Warrior.
The silver is the BCB Crusader.

The pics show comparison shots of the cups and stoves.

2c5b90fe40fb1b9794a7b7c45221e758.jpg
32f073a36908bdfde42dea9dad19f91a.jpg
b9f6ecb6cc4beecb496ff30e15488549.jpg
dc3aaaf1bf1be27e520dad0b79d552e6.jpg

Also shows the fit between stove and cup.

a2bbc3be555e9738fb31e92edc63c0d4.jpg

Rocker, Walker, Camper, Husband, Dad

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
The Web-Tex was cheap compared to the crusader when i bought it.
You can spend 70 quid on the whole setup with bag etc.
70 quid is extremely expensive. you can get the cup and stove for 15 quid on Amazon now which makes them loads better value. You can throw the rest of the kit together yourself.
I like both sets.

Rocker, Walker, Camper, Husband, Dad

Buster80

Forager
Apr 12, 2015
Scotland
Sorry to hijack but saw the pathfinder set up,is there anywhere in the UK just to buy the stove part that nests with the cup?

Doesn't have to be pathfinder one, been searching but can't find one.

They seem versatile,wood,hexi and alcohol all seem to work.

Thanks

Buster.

TarHeelBrit

Mar 13, 2014
Alone now.
I have recently been looking at the swiss army mess tin and cook set. Its relatively cheap and again looks like a good piece of kit.
Do i need one - NO
Do i want one - Hell yes.

With them costing barely 10 quid delivered i am sure i will get my moneys worth testing it against the Webtex and Crusader and can spend yet more time designing meths burners from cans and tins and then making up cook kits so that i can just choose and appropriate one for the job and stuff it n my bag.

Just out of interest, does anybody know how i can get hold of a decent metal lid for the crusader that won't cost £16?

"Swiss mess tin and cook set" Hmm sounds interesting. Any photos or a link please?

I picked up an aluminium lid from this guy on E-bay 9.95 to the door. Nicely made lid and helps speed up the boil time. He makes them for a Crusader 1 & 2 with or without strainer holes.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handmade-...916185?hash=item4afd56fc19:g:6-EAAOSwp5JWaeu0

**EDIT**

My wife bought mine from "World of Survival" 49.95
http://www.worldofsurvival.com/bcb-crusader-cooking-system-cn004-and-cn004b-id195

Here's what she got me. Make sure you buy the NATO set as this has an Osprey bottle/cup and a Crusader cooker/pot. I think the "Standard" set might be WebTex as it has a smaller canteen.
Screenshot from 2016-04-23 21:24:14.jpg

Attachments

• DSC_0011.jpg
    DSC_0011.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

bear

Dec 30, 2004
ireland
Thank you for comparison pics r-tron....only realised now that I've been using a crusader cup on a web Tex stove for years...and it was always wobbly and never sat right on bars/handle.Even when I tried penny can stove it would never fit in holder,only slimmer energy drink cans would fit there.I do find crusader cup better for cooking food in though,bigger for 1 man stew,curry,or crusader cup baking..when not using it for a brew!

Geek

Dec 20, 2018
North West
I really wasn't impressed with the Pathfinder set up, great idea but let down by one or two areas. I'll stick to my 58 pattern, mow if BCB did an exact copy of the 58 bottle in stainless there would be no competition at all.

I agree, I too was looking for a stainless version.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE