BCB crusader cookset V Webtex Warrior

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
After looking on line for several days for a Crusader cook set, I settled on an E-bay purchase and bought the cup,stove and pat 58 combo.
I waited eagerly to receive and was surprised to take delivery of a webtex equivalent.
In hindsight, looking at the Add, it did not mention the words BCB or crusader, but then again, it did not state Webtex either.
As the unit looked ok I decided to give it a go.
It worked well and I enjoyed using it, but I could not shake the nagging feeling that the BCB might be better.
Does anybody have experience of both sets that can pass judgment?
Is my nagging feeling Irrational or would I notice the difference with the Crusader.
From the pictures, the fuel dish looks larger in the BCB and more willing to accommodate an alcohol stove.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
Webtex isn't near as good (as usually with their products). The BCB version is much better made with larger canteen, base and mug. Makes it much more versatile and better built too. Sorry to break it to you.

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
Dagnabit!
I'll probably order the BCB when I can justify the purchase.
Until then my not so irrational nagging feeling will have to persist!
Thanks for the reply.

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi, both,

I've been a "regular user" of BCB for years (I don't need it, I just like it. I could give it up any day I wanted:)) I have just bought a Pathfinder bottle and cup (round ones - sorry can't think of official name, they're about £30 at Hennie). The advantage is that you can boil water in the steel Nalgene-like bottle.

I know that there's also the Pathfinder version of the Crusader, but that's more expensive and, I believe, a lot heavier - see recent review on front page of BCUK.

With initial reluctance but increasing enthusiasm, I am converting to the Pathfinder bottle and cup. I have ordered the bottle holder thingy as that looks good and it fits both the bottle and the cup. - at present I'm using a Trangia pan grab. The cup comes with a secure lid that works as well as the BCB steel lid but weights a lot less.

There isn't a stove for the Pathfinder. You'd have to buy one or adapt one. I'm thinking of using a Trangia burner and a small mesh stand but I haven't bothered so far.

The BCB set will put you back a bit more than the Pathfinder bottle (not canteen) and there's not metal lid and you can't boil the waterbottle.

Just a thought.

All the best.

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
It looks like that would set nicely onto the IKEA cutlery pot. Which is a stainless steel pot that features heavily on YouTube as a hobo stove!
Looks good.
Did the bottle come with a hanger?

DocG

Dec 20, 2013
Moray
Hi, bit more info then back to work.

Can't access Hennie for some reason.

This YouTube outlines the kit - rather too much chat for my liking, but you can see the gear. Later on he shows the lifter/hook thingy with both the bottle and the cup. IMHO it's better that the hanger for the Crusader - more secure.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cSGk1glmbkg

All the best

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
The hanger is just a fish mouth spreader designed to hold the pikes mouth open for extracting hooks. You can use it on the Crusader cup too, just drill two small holes at the front and back of the lip.

Last edited:

R-Tron 3108

Tenderfoot
Sep 4, 2014
Nottinghamshire
I have just been to anchor supplies and have purchased an aluminium mug much like the BCB but closer to size and shape to the web tex.
I noted that they had the osprey pat 58 water bottle so was able to do a side by side comparison with the Webtex.

In relation to the bottle, anchor were selling the osprey (used and with no cup)for 6.99. They actually had a Webtex one on the shelf for the same price.
The osprey felt like a thicker grade plastic but it was not a massive difference and I noted that the osprey did not have a washer in the top to prevent leakage
Now considering that I got the Webtex bottle with mug for 7.99, I reakon that they are pretty good for the money.

Anyway, as mentioned in earlier posts, the Webtex stove has a smaller fuel dish than the bcb which appears to be able to house a trangia alcohol stove.
As the Webtex does not do this, I knocked up my own alcohol 'penny stove' from a couple of energy drinks cans. These are slimer cans than a standard pop can and so fit the fuel dish nicely.
I gave it a go and guess what? It worked an absolute treat.

I still have not used a crusader set but more and more I am finding satisfaction with the warrior.

I have now tried it using by filling the fuel dish with house insulation then soaking it in meths. This is the most simple method and does not leave any mess. Verdict......it works a treat!

I have tried the solid fuel hex tabs....works fine

My home made pop can penny stove....awsome
Once the stove is primed and the meths begins to boil I achieve a good strong vibrant ring of fearce flame.

Something to note.....
When you spill fuel on your hands and then light your stove please note the meths burn with invisible flames.
I thought that I had held my hand to close to the stove but it got hotter as I held it away. Ouch my finger was on fire and I couldn't even see it. Doh!

Last edited:

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
The hanger is just a fish mouth spreader designed to hold the pikes mouth open for extracting hooks. You can use it on the Crusader cup too, just drill two small holes at the front and back of the lip.

commonly called a pike 'gag' used in the bad old days when people would give a run so long that they had enough time to drink their flask of tea and eat their sandwiches before striking, thankfully people are more enlightened now and the gag is obsolete for most responsible pikers along with the pilot float (a second float fixed behind the bung). ATB.
gag007.jpg

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I had a web tex warrior and tbh, for the money, it wasn't bad. I found the mug, although smaller than the crusader is a nice shape to drink from. I always get a dribble out the sides of my mouth with the crusader lol. With the burner/ windshield, i took a hammer and screwdriver to the small pan as it is a bit too small, snapping those spot welds was a pig of a job and made me realise just how well this thing was made. All in all, not as good quality as a crusader and a bit smaller but, for the money, its perfectly usable and well made. Imho.

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
Just to add, i use neither now. I use a USGI shape pathfinder set with a nalgene waterbottle because i love the burner. It takes a hexy, or a spirit burner or turned upside down it doubles as a twig burner. You could do the same with a crusader burner by basically removing the pan and drilling some holes in the base.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
i have the webtex one and find its great im about 5 years in with it and its still works a treat. I added a few bits to it though to make it a complete system. No1 a stainless steel lid bought off a maker from this forum. No2 i bought a crusader cup so that i have a cup to boil and one to drink (also allows for 2 pots in the one pack still nests in the water bottle holder) Also i added a wee vaseline gausse mesh meths stove which stows in the kit. I love my set up and use it mostly with my fishing kit as its small and compact.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE