Basic leather work kit

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Inspired by all the recent leatherwork posts im intrested in setting up a little kit.

from the leprovo howto section it recomends

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/sew.htm
A basic kit would be an awl blade 2” (T11), a sewing awl handle (T10), a packet of needles no 2 or 3 (T26), a reel of 18/3 linen thread (TR14), a block of beeswax (C10). To this could be added an overstitch wheel 6 to 1”(T47) and then a pricking iron 1” 6 to 1” (T134).

Would this be sufficient ? ive got an old leather hand bag i want to play around with to get me started, and is usually leather in the charity shops.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Equally inspired by what I'd seen on this site, I bought:

Awl
harness needles
edge beveller
a revolving punch
a stitch groover
stitching wheel with chageable wheels (5, 6 and 7)
Linen Thread (brown)
Beeswax
Dark Brown dye
Carnuba cream

I use an old marking knife as a skiver and I also made myself a clamp from an old beech drawer. Most other stuff you might need to get started you've probably got - pliers, scissors etc. I also bought a load of bulldog clips and some impact adhesive to glue stuff together prior to sewing.

Probably a bit over the top but I'm a bit of a tool junkie.:rolleyes:

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Inspired by all the recent leatherwork posts im intrested in setting up a little kit.

from the leprovo howto section it recomends

http://www.leprevo.co.uk/sew.htm

Would this be sufficient ? ive got an old leather hand bag i want to play around with to get me started, and is usually leather in the charity shops.

I wouldn't bother with the pricking iron, unless you want to get a bit more serious, then it can save a lot of time and effort ( I still don't have one:rolleyes: :11doh: )
Get the 6 - 1 overstitch wheel and get at least 2 awl blades, you will almost certainly snap one.

Other suggestions if your looking at soft leatherwork, would be a pack of glovers needles and maybe an adjustable stitch groover, ( particularly for thick leather work like belts and boxy pouches etc)

cheers
R.B.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Equally inspired by what I'd seen on this site, I bought:

Awl
harness needles
edge beveller
a revolving punch
a stitch groover
stitching wheel with chageable wheels (5, 6 and 7)
Linen Thread (brown)
Beeswax
Dark Brown dye
Carnuba cream

I use an old marking knife as a skiver and I also made myself a clamp from an old beech drawer. Most other stuff you might need to get started you've probably got - pliers, scissors etc. I also bought a load of bulldog clips and some impact adhesive to glue stuff together prior to sewing.

Probably a bit over the top but I'm a bit of a tool junkie.:rolleyes:

Blimey! I havent got much more than this lot, myself!:D
The job is a lot easier with the right gear but often it's trial and error and you can end up with tools you don't use, I know I did!:rolleyes:

That said; none of the above is surplus, in fact it's a really good list;)
cheers
R.B.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Blimey! I havent got much more than this lot, myself

The problem with leatherwork tools is that none of them are, individually, very expensive - but they add up...

To cut the leather I either use a stanley knife (about £5 with umpteen blades) or a CO2 laser cutter - (about £15,000). I reckon you should go for the stanley knife!:)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I do 95% of my leatherwork with a scalpel, an awl, harness needles, linen thread and a ball of wax.

Just about every other tool I ever bought was a luxury and can be dispensed with when traveling light.

If I really had to have something else, it would be blunt fid but that's about all you need really.

ASLAN

Dec 1, 2008
Co Durham, UK
Having similarly got interested in leatherwork recently it was thanks to this forum that I discovered Le Prevo for supplies. I was even more delighted to discover that they are located in Newcastle and about 15 minutes from my work! What's not obvious from their web site is that their workshop is open to customers wanting to buy supplies. Open weekdays 9.30 - 5.30. An Aladins Cave of resources.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Having similarly got interested in leatherwork recently it was thanks to this forum that I discovered Le Prevo for supplies. I was even more delighted to discover that they are located in Newcastle and about 15 minutes from my work! What's not obvious from their web site is that their workshop is open to customers wanting to buy supplies. Open weekdays 9.30 - 5.30. An Aladins Cave of resources.

pitty their website is one of theeee worst ive ever had to use in my life, almost not worth the bother, started placing the order earlier on but got fed up to-ing and frowing to the order form so will do it later when im more in a faffing about mood.

stoo

verloc

Settler
Jun 2, 2008
East Lothian, Scotland
pitty their website is one of theeee worst ive ever had to use in my life, almost not worth the bother, started placing the order earlier on but got fed up to-ing and frowing to the order form so will do it later when im more in a faffing about mood.

stoo

Come on Stoo - get them ordered - I have a sheath to try and make :)

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
Stooboy,
I found myself in a similar predicament. The most pain free way I found was to download and print the postal order form, write all me bits and bobs in the right format and layout and then fill in the online version. However, I am sorry to say the faffing about unfortunately does not end there.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Have you discovered the Craft / Leathercraft section on ebay yet Stoo ?

There`s some good bargains to be had if you look hard enough, especially off cuts and hides for a few pounds.

Just started having a play myself so I`m looking forward to seeing your efforts aswell mate.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
Have you discovered the Craft / Leathercraft section on ebay yet Stoo ?

There`s some good bargains to be had if you look hard enough, especially off cuts and hides for a few pounds.

Just started having a play myself so I`m looking forward to seeing your efforts aswell mate.

No not looked on ebay for that yet.

I left work early today and had a look in the charity shops, was a few leather hand bags to be had for new lease of life. Didnt take one to the counter yet though feels a bit odd giving a hand bag a good once over and then "teetering" over to the counter to purchase :D

ive got a brown hand bag from my mum to butcher up/experiment with first.

Stoo.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
You can also get decent belt buckles, sometimes, from charity shops. I got a couple of brass ones for £1 a couple of months back. All I had to do was cut them off the completely naff belts they were attached to.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
clamp the blade between two pennies in a vice, just a bit so the taper bites the copper as you drive on the handle, copper doesn't harm the blade edge.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
clamp the blade between two pennies in a vice, just a bit so the taper bites the copper as you drive on the handle, copper doesn't harm the blade edge.

On that note make sure you use the full copper pennies.... not a couple of copper plated steel cored ones. Can't remember the date they became steel cored but a magnet will soon sort the 2 kinds out :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE