Travel Leatherworking Kit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Have finally put together a small leatherworking kit i can take on my travels. I was going to make a fully traditional kit but time is against me so will make do with this. I wanted enough tools to cover the basics, and to be versatile enough so that i can do a little tooling, stitching, and lacing if need be.

Heres two pictures, first of two leather pouches i just made for my kit. I made the smaller pouch first but it is too small so gave it to swmbo to hold her video camera. Made the larger pouch today and that holds my leather kit

tlz9.jpg

yffw.jpg

Contents:

1: 30m artificial sinew
2: SAK - scissors, reaver, and sharp blade.
3: needlecase ( i did make one from antler but was too small. going for convenience here). contains several sizes of needles, and some snaplock and permalok lacing needles.
4: stamps - a beveller and circular punch for basic tooling and stamped dotwork for veg tan
5: Norwegian fork - my favourite bit of kit, the prongs i can use to mark edges and stitch holes, and the handle i use to burnish edges.
6: Pencil for marking out
7: Handmade awl
8: Forged buckles and D rings made by Everything Mac of this parish
9: bent nosed pliers
10: Suede finger sleeves i made to slip over my fingers when saddle-stitching great for pushing needles through and pulling threads tight
11: small screwdriver. I use this as a single punch for lacing holes
12: two small hole punches taken from hole punch pliers. handy and saves some space though may replace with a single longer lunch
13: couple of sam browne studs as they require no tools to set so handier than taking pop studs

I also have my neck knife which doubles surprisingly well as a swivel knife

tug5.jpg

Should keep me going for a while until i can make more traditional stuff :)

Baelfore

Life Member
Jan 22, 2013
Ireland
really nice set up. loving the finger sleeve idea. might have to give that a go. with a bit of scrap deer skin . :p

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
Nice little setup there Hamish, like a few have said the scales on the SaK are beautiful. Would this kit be suited for someone starting out in leather work?

thanks and absolutely. some good needles, thread or sinew, awl, and something sharp to cut thread and leather, and something to mark your stitches is all you need to get going

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE