Basic leather work kit

dogwood

Settler
Oct 16, 2008
San Francisco
edge beveller
a stitch groover
stitching wheel with chageable wheels (5, 6 and 7)

A sanding block can perform some of the finish of a beveler, but the beveler is nicer (get a mid-sized one for flexibility).

I strongly agree with the adjustable stitch groover -- it helps to make a nicely finished look and it helps to protect the threads. (Failing that on veg tanned hide, you can wet indent it with the stitching wheel too -- the groover is just nicer).

Lastly, spend a little more and get the changeable wheels as recommended above -- it allows you a lot of flexibility.

stooboy

Settler
Apr 30, 2008
Fife, Scotland
On that note make sure you use the full copper pennies.... not a couple of copper plated steel cored ones. Can't remember the date they became steel cored but a magnet will soon sort the 2 kinds out :)

with me being a poor fifer i've rarely got two pennies to rub together :lmao:

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
On that note make sure you use the full copper pennies.... not a couple of copper plated steel cored ones. Can't remember the date they became steel cored but a magnet will soon sort the 2 kinds out :)

Even the mild steel cored pennies will not touch the hardened and sharpened edge of the needle. Use whatever you have in your pocket mate, :rolleyes:

Snarf

Nomad
Mar 30, 2009
Birmingham
My first order from leprevo Cost me around the £50 mark and that wasn't including any leather.

I use tandys now, as i find the website is easier to use and they have some good stuff on there, it is a tad more expensive than leprevo but i got a membership so things are cheaper not much, but in my first purchase from tandys i saved my years membership fee, so not bad.

They have a few instruction videos on the site and more on the american site.

Not affiliated but one very happy customer.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
I'd second Tandy Leather Factory but that's because it's a 3 minute drive from my work! The guys in there know their stuff and are more than willing to help out and share their knowledge.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE