Bark River

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
remember, the diamond is for bringing back a very dull edge, or a chiped/damaged edge. For a knife that is generally fairly shrp, use the ceramic. After each time you use the knife, three strokes each side with the ceramic will keep it in tip top condition. Your knife wont need major resharpening with the diamond nearly as often, it will always have a "ready to go" razor edge on it and will last much, much longer.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thanks martyn, i just took your advice. I got the ceramic on it and FINALLY a razor edge! Thanks mate.

Jake

ditchfield

Nomad
Nov 1, 2003
Somerset
:-D When Brynglas said "I dont want to spend alot. You may have realised that i have little money (being a student)! I have a puukko, but would like something like the Bison bushcraft, but i dont have enough money. The mini candian is about £40, which looks like a bargain" he was actually quoting you, Jake, in your original post! :lol:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
:rolmao:
Ive recently learnt how to save (money)! How did you find that out?
Is that what i actually said? I didnt say "The mini candian is about £40, which looks like a bargain" Did I?
Brynglas...this wasnt a coincidence, was it, that us welsh student bushcrafters think this much alike?
Crikey

Jake :lol:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
JakeR said:
Thanks martyn, i just took your advice. I got the ceramic on it and FINALLY a razor edge! Thanks mate.

Jake

Yay, way to go Jake. There's nothing like the satisfaction of putting a shaving sharp edge on a dull blade by hand. Any fool can do it with a jig, but it takes real skill to do it by hand. All our grandfathers new how to do it, but it's a skill that eludes many today. With practice, you'll find it takes less and less effort, with fewer strokes as you start to "zen" the process. The woodlore (or any scandi) is a good knife to practice with, because of the broad bevels, but soon, you'll be takling blades with small edge bevels and have a big grin on yer face as hairs just leap from your arm as that blade approaches. :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mike Stewart

I know that I came late to this party but if anyone has any questions on the Bark River knives , I would be happy give any info I can.

Mike.....

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Brynglas said:
JakeR said:
I am interested in a smaller knife to accompany my Woodlore Micarta. I like the look of some of the bark river knives...what are they like?

I dont want to spend alot. You may have realised that i have little money (being a student)! I have a puukko, but would like something like the Bison bushcraft, but i dont have enough money. The mini candian is about £40, which looks like a bargain

I have been using a H Roselli UHC carpenters knife for a couple of years now and it's been a fantastic tool for me, The quality is fantatsticI and both my carpenters knife and leuku have taken some heavy use extremely well. I bought them at the factory in Finland but I'm sure that they could sort you out mail order. They have a small range of puukot and other scandinavian models including a first rate axe which may be of interest and they make knives in standard good quality high carbon steel or Ultra High Carbon steel which is a great steel for taking and maintaining an edge. Check out the website for prices etc. I can reccommend them

Brynglas

www.roselli.fi

I'd second the UHC carpenters knife, absolutely fantastic at cutting/whittling wood, better than anything else I have tried although probably not suitable for splitting. I got it through moonraker accessorieshttp://www.moonrakerknives.co.uk/index.html
best to phone as they sometimes take a while to answer e-mail

Last edited by a moderator:

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Mike Stewart said:
I know that I came late to this party but if anyone has any questions on the Bark River knives , I would be happy give any info I can.

Mike.....

In case anyone didn't know, Mike's the Main Man at Bark River - great to have you here, and I've really enjoyed reading your posts on KnifeForums

familne

Dec 20, 2003
Fife
Mike Stewart said:

Mike.....

Hi Mike

When's the North Star going to be available (sorry if you've been asked this a million times before)!

Fraser

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Hi Mike,
Welcome to BCUK! Interesting group of folks here and I think your knives are a perfect match for this bushcraft crowd. I'm looking forward to your new models. Any idea when you will have them listed on your website? BTW, are you still in Bark River?

TAHAWK

Nomad
Jan 9, 2004
Ohio, U.S.A.
familne said:
Hi Mike

When's the North Star going to be available (sorry if you've been asked this a million times before)!

Fraser

Second best, but Mike has posted elsewehere that the North Stars will be coming out of his shop this month.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi Mike,

Great to have you. Im sure you'll cost us hundreds :wink: . What will the price be on the northstar?

Jake

S

Sharpshooter

The North Star will retail for $100 US; don't tell Mike but the dealers will likely discount it a bit.

The response to the North Star has been spectacular, to say the least. The first run will be a hot commodity, so I wouldn't wait to get one. Fortunately, I'm going to get one before anyone, "Prototype #1"... I'll post pics and a review as soon as it hits my door.

Hoodoo, can you say Escanaba?

Reid

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
(Has this been said?) When will they be available? And will the UK dealer be Joe Echols at ODS?

Cheers

M

Mike Stewart

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the warm welcome,

The North Star will be out very soon. It is running a little behind but not a lot behind. We just finished the Evolution Ones and are now building and finishing 350 custom knives for A.G. Russell. I then must make 750 Highland and Woodland Specials for A.G. also. He called and said that he was almost out. I will then start on the Mikro-Canadians and the North Stars at the same time. I will try to make 50 of each model each day.

Joe will get knives right off the top of that production. Sarge-Mike must approve the first Mikro and Reid must approve the first North Star. I don't think that will take them very long. We have all worked very hard to get these two models the way all of us want them.

I must tell you that it has been a real pleasure working with Reid and Mike in the development of these two models. Both of them are great communicators and we managed to keep all the cursing and four letter words down to a minimum.

Hoodoo,

We , as you might have guessed , out grew the 1800 sq.ft. Dairy Barn and have moved into the Big City, You know---Escanaba.

Our new location is 12,000 sq. ft. and we should be able to stay here until I am ready to retire. I am in the process of adding two new folks and will be adding more after these two are trained.

I have to apologise about the website. I have not had the time to update it and will try in June. By then ,I can put all the pictures of the Fieldsman II, Mikro- Canadian, North Star, Fox River , Huntsman II, and the 7 inch Rogue Bowie. There will be a few more models to intro after that but by June I should have all the changes made.

All I need is a month of 36 hour days to get caught up.

Thanks again and I'll visit at least once per day for any questions all of you may have.

Mike.......

B

Bex

sargey said:
hiya mike, welcome to bcuk. can't wait for the northstar. :cool:

cheers, and.

Ditto!

Had my order in with Joe since Febuary for a North Star and Evo 1. That'll complete my cutlery wish list for the moment-and give the devils plastic a much needed rest!

M

Mike Stewart

Micheal,

Both you and Sargy have E-1s ready. I am waiting for the Consealex sheaths form Eric to ship your knives. He can only make a small number per week. The knives have been finished for over two weeks. I am supposed to get some in this Wed and again next Wed to complete the shipments.

You both are getting North Stars also. Joe told me that you wanted one. You will get those right off the top of the first shipment.

Mike........

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE