Bark River

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thanks.
I couldnt resist yesturday, i ordered a bark river mini canadian from joe at ODS. Are they good back-up little knives (if you know what i mean)?

Please try to justify me buying it!

Jake :-D

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Oh yes...my new diamond DC4 came today, muchsmaller than expected. quite expensive for such a little thing. Very good though. I would recomend you get a DC4 rather than a DC3. The DC4 is a light compramise (sp?) between a benchstone and a fieldstone. I think heinnie have them in stock, or try www.outdoorsuppliesuk.com

(i had to see if the colour thing worked :wink: )

Jake

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
i got a DC3 a while ago, good little piece of kit, still not sure about the ribbed ceramic bit though.

cheers, and.

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
no. though i sometimes use it with a drop of spit, i use spit and a quick rub with a finger to clean it. but it does sort of depend on the company i'm keeping at the time. :-? :-D

cheers, and.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I just used it, it is incredibly hard to keep a single bevel flat on it, i just gave myself a secondary bevel :-x , oh well, good fo the field though. I think the eze-lap 600 is better.

Jake

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
assuming you haven't already tried it this way...

hold the knife in your weak hand, pop the stone on the knife with your strong hand, use your index finger to hold the stone down on the bevel. hold the knife still, with the edge away from you and move the stone. to do the other side, hold the knife almost as if you were going to pass it to someone, so the point is pointing over your wrist, and the edge is still pointing away from you.

you could just hold the edge towards yourself, but if you go too far or slip, you'll slice your stone holding fingers on the edge, try it as described and you can only hit the spine.

apologies if i'm teaching anyone to suck eggs with this idea.

cheers, and.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
AHHGG, i just did it agian. I liked the look of the coldsteel pendleton mini hunter. Only £25. What do you think?

What edge do they have?

Cheers,

Jake

B

Bex

Jake,

Slow down. You will see lots of good knives out there. Thats the benefit of the time we live in. By your own admission you dont have a huge amount of money to spend on cutlery. If these purchases are going on your credit card, remember they have to be paid back-with intrest.

All those £25's add up...

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi Bex,
I promise i dont spend that much. I just have'nt had a spree in a while. So 3 more knives in the post and that is it for another year. £110 every 6 months or so isnt too much...is it?Thanks for your concern :lol: !

Jake :eek:\: :chill:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I just took the advice about sharpening using a DC4, it really does work quite well. Again, not sure about the cermaic. Is that all you need in a sharpening stone?

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jake, for optimum, when you're getting close, be sure to do only one stroke per side of blade at a time, otherwise you'll just keep nrolling the edge. The ceramics are superb, they really do work well to "polish" in the edge. But you have to have a pretty good edge to start with. Same thing, one stoke per side at a time and that blade with crop hairs off your arm by the bushell. ;)

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers Martyn. I tried the circular motion job on the bevel but i fail to get a razor edge. I find th diaomond more effective than the waterstone. How long will a diamond stone last?
What Motion would be best for the DC$ ie cirular, fig of 8, straight scraping, horizontal scraping?

Cheers,

Jake

Brynglas

JakeR said:
I am interested in a smaller knife to accompany my Woodlore Micarta. I like the look of some of the bark river knives...what are they like?

I dont want to spend alot. You may have realised that i have little money (being a student)! I have a puukko, but would like something like the Bison bushcraft, but i dont have enough money. The mini candian is about £40, which looks like a bargain

I have been using a H Roselli UHC carpenters knife for a couple of years now and it's been a fantastic tool for me, The quality is fantatsticI and both my carpenters knife and leuku have taken some heavy use extremely well. I bought them at the factory in Finland but I'm sure that they could sort you out mail order. They have a small range of puukot and other scandinavian models including a first rate axe which may be of interest and they make knives in standard good quality high carbon steel or Ultra High Carbon steel which is a great steel for taking and maintaining an edge. Check out the website for prices etc. I can reccommend them

Brynglas

www.roselli.fi

Last edited by a moderator:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Cheers Brynglas,

Another student! I kow what you mean by money matters. But i find myself working (for Money) and studying and not spending that i eventually have enough money to go a bit mad.

When the Bark River arrives (which it feels like it never will) i'll tell you what it like, I'll check out rosselli.

Cheers,

Jake

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Jake, just take the hone straight down the length of the blade from ricasso to tip, in smooth light sweeps, alternating one stroke per side (if the blade is very dull, start with 10 strokes per side and reduce the number as the edge gets finer - always finish with single strokes). Remember, consistency is the key. All it takes is one stroke at the wrong angle and you'll roll the edge and have to start over. This is why the woodlore is so easy to field sharpen, the flats of the bevels are your guide. Keep the hone flat gainst the bevel (you can feel through your fingers when the hone is "sweet" against the blade) and move in smooth, firm but light sweeps down the blade. Dont overdo it with the diamond. They're very aggressive, so as soon as you start getting a keen edge, move to the ceramic to polish it in. Same technique for ceramic. They should last a very long time. Wear on them is minimal.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE