Bark River

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Could I put an order for the northstar in with Joe?

Cheers,

Jake

M

Mike Stewart

Jake,

It would be a good idea. I.m not sure he even has all the pricing and I won't have it totally nailed down until I actually make the first run.

The first run is 500 units and we are already over sold. Joe will get all He needs out of that run. I will make more in August and again in November.

Almost 40% of our production is now dedicated for making knives for other companies. It is great work but it does interfere with our regular Bark River porduction.

Mike.......

M

Mike Stewart

Jake,

I spoke to Joe today and he said tht you were covered. He will get knives right off the top on every new build that we make.

Mike........

B

Bex

Jake,

There can be delays with mail from the US due to security following 9/11 and the anthax scare. What used to take 4-7 days can take 3-4 weeks. That happened to me during December/January past.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Arhhhggg, BEX! You bring bad news! Oh well, what can i do?
Bob, i'll let you know when they do...BUMMER!
Thanks Mike, im sure they are great (but not for my bank balance)

Thanks for telling me,

Jake

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
thanks for the info mike. :cool:

the northstar certainly has the potential to be a top class bushcraft knife, at a price to beat most of the competition. will it have a fast taper like the foragers and gameskeepers?

cheers, and.

M

Mike Stewart

Sargey,

It will have just a bit slower taper to the point so that bushcraft chores are easier. With the blade spine of .170" , it should be easy to manuver for fine work and still be stout enough if you have to horse it around for larger tasks. The one that Reid did all that batoning with was .150" thick and he had no trouble. The .170" spine will have superior geometry because it is a taller blade. The grind goes almost to the top of the blade. For batoning you won't have the drag of a shoulder half way up the blade like some other knives of this type and size. I can't wait to start on them. I am going to have a sheath made for mine with a Mini-Canadian in Piggy-back style.

It should work out as a great combo.

Mike........

The Mikro-Canadian would work well too like that but I can't give in to SGT-Mike.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Hi Mike,

The knife i look forward to the most is the mini-canadian. Bought mostly for a back up knife. I was wondering...would it serve well as such? Or is it mostly for skinning?

Cheers,

Jake

M

Mike Stewart

Jake,

In My opinion, The Mini-Canadian is the most versitile knife in our entire line. The blade shape is mostly cutting curve and the point is slightly dropped to the center. It is very small for the amount of work it can do and it is easy to actually have with you. It is all I woudl need for field dressing small to medium game. As far as bushcraft is concerned it is a bit small for some of the things but it can easily out carve bigger knives and with the forced choke-up grip --I can't think of any other knife that would offer more blade and edge control.

The Mini-Canadian is also small enough to use as an EDC if you are prone tword fixed blades.

I guess you figured out by now that I like the knife.

Mike.......

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Hey Mike!

The mini canadian looks the business. I'm a big fan of small fixed blades. Will you by any chance be offering it with a pocket sheath (Al la woodswalker)? I know the Mikro will fit the existing woodswalker sheath, but thats too small for me.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Thanks Mike, I cant wait now!
The Mini-Canadian is also small enough to use as an EDC if you are prone tword fixed blades

I am very prone towards fixed blades, but what is an EDC? :oops:

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
EDC = Every Day Carry ... the knife you have about with you on a day to day basis.

M

Mike Stewart

Raz,

The Mini will come in a new two piece sheath that is not like our current wraparound.

There will be an optional pocket sheath like the Woodswalker. Some folks tell me tht they fit the Mini into the woodswalker but I think it may be too much of a stretch.

Mike......

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Excellent news Mike!
Got any photos of the pocket sheath for the mini? Will it have some good rough leather on the back for use as a strop?

M

Mike Stewart

Raz,

No pictures yet. You can use the back and the front. I am trying something a bit new on this and I will post the picture as soon as possible.

Mike......

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Mike, I gotta put my mod hat on for a second. I'm totally aware that you're responding to direct questions, that's cool - but parts of this thread are starting to read like a Bark River promo. BcUK doesnt allow advertising of any kind on the site, I know you're not trying to duck the radar or anything, but I'd just ask you to be mindful of BcUK's no advertising policy.

Thanks,
Martyn.
----------------------------------------------------
EDIT: Just read this over and realised I've come accross a bit heavy handed here Mike. That was not my intention, reading over the thread I can see you were doing nothing other than answering enquiries, for which i should be thanking you. I guess I'm just cognisant of the no advertising thing and was trying to head it off at the pass, so to speak. I think I jumped the gun a little, My apologies Mike.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I just got a leather sheath making kit from shing through the post. I thought i'd make a sheath for my mini-canadian when it arrives. But i may not be able to wait! Spoke to Joe, and he said about 10 days....Roll on the 20th. It will be a happy birthday! (24th but near enough)!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE