Bark River

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I'm guessing i'll have to pay about a tenner for it then. (unless i just made myself look stupid!). Adi...youre a fountain of knowledge!

Cheers,

Jake

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
if it's not too rude where are you getting the highland from?

at a guess, the worst case scenario import duties wise is about 12-13 quid, unless your suppliers do something daft like insure the package for a hundred bucks, then you'll have to pay taxes based on that amount! :shock:

any way you look at it, you are getting a fantastic knife at that price.

cheers, and. (anxiously awaiting the release of the north star. :cool: )

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Its not rude! www.dlttradingcompany.com

I was told by Joe from outdoorsupplies that i would be charged at least £20 and have alot of major complications. I dont think he liked the fact that i bought from the US when i could have got it from him.
How do i pay for it. Does the postman come to collect the money or do i have to go and pick it up?

(anxiously awaiting the release of the north star. )

Whats that?

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
Yep, normally either the postie will ask for the cash or give you a receipt to go to the sorting office to pick up the package when you have the cash. Having said that, I've had a package handed to me in the morning plastered with charge stickers and not have to pay a penny ... :lol:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
So if i have the money available in the moring i can just pay him and be done with it? Adi...i like your avatar, but how do you choose one?

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
JakeR said:
So if i have the money available it will be fine? Adi...i like your avatar, but how do you choose one?

Cheers,

Jake

Yeah, usually ... been a while since I paid anything :-D

Avatars ... you need to upload an image to some web space and point to it in your profile ... there are no images in the gallery yet.

Kath made me this one ... cool, innit!

Last edited by a moderator:

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Do i just type in the location of the avatar once i have saved it onto "my pictures"?

Cheers,

Jake

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Whats that?

it's a scaled up version of this, a bigger pointier highland
Sharpshooter_1test7.jpg

for the posty on your doorstep, a cheque will do too.

cheers, and.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I read a review on that one in outdoormagazine it looks good. Does the highland shower sparks?

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
Adi, your a genius. I didnt know you could look onto my hardrive. Could people see things like Credit card details on my computer?

i'll go on that website.

Cheers,

Jake

Adi007

Sep 3, 2003
JakeR said:
Adi, your a genius. I didnt know you could look onto my hardrive. Could people see things like Credit card details on my computer?

i'll go on that website.

Cheers,

Jake

I can't see in ... I can just see the address of the image not loading on the side (right click on it and select Properties) ... no hacking involved!

Last edited by a moderator:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
Does the highland shower sparks?

i've polished up the spine on mine and ever so slightly rounded off the corners, so while it does make lots of sparks, it's not the best striker ever. but if you squared up the spine, it would be close.

cheers, and.

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I suppose that is what i know! How easy is it for one to hack?
I'm sure i have my Credit card details on my computer...should i delete them?

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Jake, a ceramic stone will work just as well. I've touched up convex edges using a rod from a Sharpmaker the same way I use a stone. Basically I use a slow circular motion or just sharpen by dragging the blade across the rod like sargey said but you have to rotate the knife slightly while doing it. Personally I like the circular motion. One of the reasons I like the arkansas stone is that I can hold the stone in my hand (I use a small one for this) and I can "feel" the bevel as I'm sharpening.

Still...sandpaper and mousepad are hard to beat. :-D

B

Bex

The General said:
I won it on E-Bay :oops:

Should I take offence that you are embarrassed to buy a knife from me? As I see it, you will be getting a very good knife and saving money on what you otherwise would have paid.

B

Bex

Couple of things.

From what I've seen of Bark River knives the quality is superb. I've sold my Highland Special because it has been made redundant due to the Al Mar Nomad I bought around the same time. This is in no way a bad reflection on the HS, just a reflection on my own needs. At one time I would have kept it, but now I only keep what I use.

For tasks more suited to fixed blades, I've got a Bark River Northstar on order. For slaying dragons and seeing off marauding hoards, the Evolution One heading my way will do the job. If you want a superb fixed blade knife at a good price, then Bark River or Fallkniven will not let you down.

I used to own one of those Reg Cooper knives shown on this thread. Liked the pattern, but the build quality was not up to scratch. The guard was very poorly fitted, and looked like the tang hole had been stamped for something entirely different, ( I know its not unusual for Sheffield makers to use boxes of parts that were obtained from the factories that closed down during the '80's). The big gap in the guard would have led to the tang rusting from moisture if it had been used in the field.

Regarding customs fees, I used to work for the Royal Mail. In my experience, postmen cannot take money on the doorstep but instead leave a card and you have to go and pay at the delivery office. Parcel Force drivers on the other hand do. Dont know if this has changed of late.

I paid £17 fees when I got my Highland Special, delivery was by Fed Ex.

chad234

Oct 25, 2003
Detroit, Michigan, USA
Hoodoo, i have never seen anything like it. You have such vast amounts of kit!!! You should photograph it all in a big heap in a field from far away so that you can get it all in.

Actually here in Michigan we have 3 marks on our compases: True North, Magnetic North and Hoodoo north. All that steel in one place throws off your compass.

Hoodoo has a seriously nice collection of blades, all great users too.

Just wait until he shows you his newest Nessmuk knife, it is gorgeous!!

JakeR

Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
i've polished up the spine on mine and ever so slightly rounded off the corners, so while it does make lots of sparks, it's not the best striker ever. but if you squared up the spine, it would be close.

Being carbon steel (it is isnt it?) it would probably work well if i did just that.

Bex...i think mine is being delivered by fed-ex, or at least thats what DLT told me. I have never had problems with buying from america before.

What is the Al Mar nomad like?

Cheers,

Jake

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE