barefoot boots/shoes

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
Going to find a shop localish to try on the vivobarefoot, however one question what socks do you guys wear with these? I'll need to get a pair or two before i go and test fit the shoes

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Going to find a shop localish to try on the vivobarefoot, however one question what socks do you guys wear with these? I'll need to get a pair or two before i go and test fit the shoes

You can wear any socks you like with vivobarefoot, or none. Depends on the time of year and your preferences

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
I have a pair of light brown Hush Puppies Grassland shoes. I removed the thick footbed and replaced with a volume reducer and insole. The sole is very thin, with no heel drop. You need to walk gently until you get used to them.

They are also excellent for driving in, if you like feeling the pedals and heel-toe-ing etc.

Turnstone

Apr 9, 2013
Germany
For hiking I use Vivobarefoot NeoTrails. You have to get used to them, but I won't go back to normal walking boots. Did the northern part of the Kungsleden last year wearing them.

Currently I am waiting for the Vivobarefoot OffRoad High to arrive. Wanted something more water resistant and higher for the upcoming cold and wet season. The NeoTrails are good in snow, but you get wet and cold feet and the snow gets in and soaks your ankles... There are mixed reviews on the OffRoad, I hope I like them...

Cade

Life Member
Apr 27, 2012
Bristol
got my first pair and went for the size 11 (i'm normally a size 10) getting getting used to them ran 500meters (well jogged) today and will build up as i go here a pic
trail shoes.jpg

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Just knocked up some more....used the rubber from a pair of flippyflops....
e8aseme9.jpg

a3agy3eh.jpg

Ive got the holes better placed and used thicker + softer cord.
Been out blackberry picking in them and moochin pine forest. Done too much again I reckon and have sore heels :-[

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I had a pair of 5 fingers but as I have the beginnings of hallux Valgus (bunions ;-) ) I found that they just weren't for me! I tried a couple of different types but no good for me! My brother has a few different Vivobarefoot shoes! Including these that he got for our trip to Galloway forest next week

dene9ahy.jpg

I like the look of the huaraches! Might have to have a go as the bunions are no probs with those bad boys!

I like the stamp of these.....please let us know his thoughts ? Cheers

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

Minotaur

Native
Apr 27, 2005
Birmingham
I started mid-foot running in lower heel drop shoes in January. I initially had a lot of calf stiffness and I did presumably go at it too hard (although I tried not to) because I've been suffering with various calf problems (strains and possibly a tear) since about April. I wear low to zero heel drop footwear most of the time and I'm currently trying to loosen and strengthen my calves in preparation for returning to running... When I do I'll be looking for some low-heeled off-road shoes.

It might be worth finding a barefoot running teacher. Apparently it is very much slow and steady to start with however someone pointing the way makes live easier. Just read Born to Run and wondering if this approach could get me running so if you find one please post a link.

Aristotle

Forager
Jan 13, 2010
NW England
It might be worth finding a barefoot running teacher. Apparently it is very much slow and steady to start with however someone pointing the way makes live easier. Just read Born to Run and wondering if this approach could get me running so if you find one please post a link.

I've (possibly) managed to get past the injury phase now. I don't think that there is that much too it, really.

I found some of this Chi Running info useful: http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...0j2.12.0...0.0...1ac.1.11.youtube.UE8bryOcjI0

Chiseller

Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
I've just bought some zero shoes and they've made me realise how carp my homemade versions were. .. It's hard work to convince myself to take them off.

Richie

Forager
Feb 3, 2004
North Wales
Vivo's are good if they don't fall apart due to the bad glue. This is meant to have been fixed now though. They have good boot in the pipeline so keep and eye on their site.
Also have a look at Belville's mini miltec boots as they are good, although the heel is quite stiff and you may need to mod it. The sole is thicker than the vivo offroad sole but still offers good proprioception.
I haven't had any good experiences with Vivo's waterproofing material so far. Either I've found it leaks or your feet sweat like they are in bin bags.
I do like vivo's and have give or take 10 pairs which I have been wearing for the last 2 years.

R

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE