Barbour Coat advice

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Decisions Decisions can’t decide between a Barbour Trooper or the Classic Beaufort. Any advice from those that own either would be a great help. Want to get one soon. Thanks

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've had a few Barbours over the years including the two you mention; in my opinion the Trooper was the best jacket they ever made. I had mine for about 14 years, (pinched), and I loved it. Slightly longer than the other
"townie" ones, so you don't get that awful dripping to soak your legs :(

Best of all though, the pockets. Bigger and better bellows pockets set out like the classic M65, two on top and two below, but more capacious than the other Barbours............

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I've got a barbour trooper, it's superb. Gets used beating and gets attacked by brambles, roses, branches, bracken and all sorts and holds up amazingly well. The design works great for me and I wouldn't be without one now. Hope this helps! :)

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Got a Northumberland myself and would gladly get another one should this one ever die, but it is still going well after 20 years or so

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Got a Northumberland myself and would gladly get another one should this one ever die, but it is still going well after 20 years or so

+1 to this.

The Northumberland (Northumbria?) is a 'heavyweight' jacket, made from thicker cotton than both the trooper and Beaufort. It is also longer so you can sit down while wearing it and keep your backside dry. :)

northumbria.png

Not the jacket OP asked about I know, but maybe worth a second look.

Last edited:

galopede

Forager
Dec 9, 2004
Gloucestershire
I have both the Beaufort and the Northumbria, both bought cheap on evil bay. Got the Northumbria first. As they say above, it is heavy! It was in good nick but a bit dry when I got it for £30 so I've rewaxed it.

The Beaufort was as new for £50. It is shorter and much lighter than the Northumbria and to me, suffers from a lack of pockets, just having the two decent sized patch pockets and a small one for phones etc alongside the zip. There are two handwarmer pockets as well. There is no internal pocket which I miss now and then.

It is far more comfortable to wear than the heavy Northumbria which is my first choice for working outdoors. The Beaufort seems to be more a leisure jacket though I have no doubt it will stand up to a lot of grief!

Trying to convince myself I don't need a Trooper now! Don't see them in the bay!

Gareth

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
The Beaufort, like all Barbour with Raglan cut, has ridicously short sleeves. Even when sizing up two sizes, they are way too short to protect the wrists, not to mention the hands.
The Border is my choice nowadays. My old Northumbria (with the woolen lining they chucked) is way too heavy for general use.

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2012
Eseex
I have had both the Trooper and Beaufort. I sold the trooper on and still have the Beaufort.

The trooper was a lovely coat, but I found it too short for me (i'm F601 and it was an XXL). The lining was nice and it was roomy enough for layers underneath. I still prefer he Beaufort tho which is why I have kept it. I prefer the length and like the hand warmer pockets (which the trooper doesn't have), both are solidly built and will last your years of use I would imagine, just depends on what fits/suits best....

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I have the Classic Beaufort and have had for about 10 years now. Excellent fit with plenty of room for under-layers. The coat itself is an excellent, hard wearing coat that I've thoroughly enjoyed.

I'd pass on the optional zip out liner though, it really doesn't work that well. Under-layers are a much better option IMO.

pysen78

Forager
Oct 10, 2013
Stockholm
I've had the Beaufort for ca 15 yrs. I've done everything in it. Even used as makeshift tarp. Very hard wearing for what it is.
First time I had it in for repairs I had the sleeves lengthened. Cuffs were frayed and needed patching anyways.
The sleeves shrink a tiny bit every time you reproof it seems.
I love it. Gf kinda hates it. The roomy excellent game pocket gives you a dumpy profile and makes it look like you have a bad posture.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Ive got the longshoreman which is an overhead smock and probably the heaviest and toughest Barbour I have saw .

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
My question is why do they(barbour) line the sleeves with nylon, (both mine have this)whenever ive done even moderate walking eg, hrs dog walk along the coast inside the sleeves are soaked with sweat..

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
Yep there are loads of them available ,I think they make them for Japan for some reason !

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE