Bannock

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AntarcticFire

Oct 3, 2003
Guildford, Surrey
www.uhmc.co.uk
Has anyone on here ever made Bannock?

I was introduced to it on a survival course; it's basically unleaven bread with whatever
you've got to hand to put in it. We used rock-salt, rosemary, thyme and basil and cooked
it on a stick next to an open fire.

It tastes great and is suprisingly filling!

So I guess the question is.... have you made it, and what did you put in it? :cold:

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Many times! There was a period in my life where I lived out of a pack for months at a time and this was one of my staples.

I do use baking powder in mine though.

Here is the recipe I use:

6 cups of flower
1 cup dry milk
1 t salt
1 cup shortening
1/4 c baking powder

Mix well and store.

To cook, I mix 2 cups of mix with 1/3 cup of water. For pancakes I add an egg and 1 1/2 cups of water (and fresh-picked blueberries :-D ).

I like to coil it like a rope on a stick and bake it over hot coals. I also like to add raisans to the mix, and serve it with honey and clarified butter. Good stuff eh?

Try this: thread a piece of smoked sausage on a stick and cook it over the fire untill juicy brown. Now wrap it in a rope of bannock and bake over the fire until golden. Serve with mustard if you have it. Hmmmmm, I'm gettin' hungry. :uu:

Reactions: Wayland

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
I just made a load. While reaching around in the cubard looking for flour, I happened upon a product called "bizquick" or somthing similar, it appears to be the commerical version. You can make all manner of things from it. One other thing you can use the mixture for is dumplings! I never though of that.

D

Dave F

HI HOODOO - just been looking at your recipe for bannock and as Im planning on going away this weekend and sitting round an open fire with friends thought I would give it a try - can you please clarify the ingredient 'shortening' for me - cheers :lol:

Raz

Nomad
Sep 3, 2003
all over
Shortening is butter, lard, or fat. Its a generic term.
I used white flora and it seemed to work fine.

D

Dave F

Cheers Raz for that advice - hope to give it a try this weekend :lol:

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
We often make hard tack, which is just water, flour, and salt. Best eaten hot, but keeps for years (literally). We sometimes add shortening, or butter, but it won't keep for very long.

PG

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Hoodoo's recipe
Try this: thread a piece of smoked sausage on a stick and cook it over the fire untill juicy brown. Now wrap it in a rope of bannock and bake over the fire until golden. Serve with mustard if you have it. Hmmmmm, I'm gettin' hungry. :uu:[/QUOTE]

Now that sounds GOOD

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you put a block of butter into the freezer for a little while it can be coarsely grated. Shake seasoned (or sweetened) flour over and stir thoroughly. Keep in a sealed poly bag and use as the basis for bannocks. Tastier than most fats....well, unless you like bacon :rolleyes:

Cheers,
Toddy

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Sorry for not getting back on this. I missed the question on shortening. As was mentioned above, traditionally shortening is a generic term for cooking fat of one sort or another. However, more recently when you see it in a recipe, it almost always refers to vegetable shortening.

B00061EP18.01-A3CDPEGSIQM61V._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE