Bank line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
After a quick google, I believe we may be looking for "Seine Twine".

Apparently used for mending all sorts of nets, ropes, setting static lines and general uses along the bank :)

I think this is the stuff Woody had on a course in March, it was excellent stuff.

that should help, but not on ebay.co.uk, very surreal result on there

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Group buy? Can't be that expensive to import can it???

It's not expensive at all to get from the states, we could get it direct from Dave Canterbury's shop, I'd just rather find a shop in the UK to be honest. Having said that, if anyone wants to organise a group buy I'm definitely in for a couple of rolls

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
So can you not use ordinary braided nylon as sold in every fishing tackle shop in the UK?

The braided nylon sold in tackle shops is actual fishing line (and it's not really nylon but rather it's kevlar) It's obviously good for fishing and strong enough for most other uses but; it's generally too thin for other general cardage uses. It'll likely cut you or whatever you try to tie with it.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
just looking at the Dave Canterbury site and a group buy might not be a bad idea, shipping for one roll = $7, shipping for 10 = $15, the line itself is $18.95 for "approximately 1649 linear feet of #12 nylon line"

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This Seine twine looks very much like nylon masons line without the tarring.

Yep, something like a seine twine is what we use for bank hooks and trot lines. I have no idea where (or why) anybody would want to use a tarred line any more. That pretty much went away here when synthetics were developed. As for general bushcraft use, any tarring would only get on your other gear and not really add any usefulness to a synthetic cordage.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
.....I have no idea where (or why) anybody would want to use a tarred line any more. That pretty much went away here when synthetics were developed. As for general bushcraft use, any tarring would only get on your other gear and not really add any usefulness to a synthetic cordage.

I think the general idea is that it prevents the line from soaking up any water, I'd imagine that it helps to maintain the integrity of the line when it's used repeatedly too. With the stuff on the Pathfinder school website they make quite a big deal about the quality of the tarring, that it's done in such a way as to make it as even as possible, with no "blobs" that can rub off onto your hands or kit.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
OK, so what you call bank line isn't tarred. That's fine. What I'm looking for is what Dave Canterbury refers to as bank line. He explains it in this video from 4'08" onwards;

[video=youtube;RPjGIheVi4w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjGIheVi4w&feature=re lmfu[/video]

HTH :)

Cheers,

Stuart

Yeah. I saw one of his shows, the one where he's paired with the hippy type survivalist (Dual Survivor I think) I tend not to watch any of them. I see a lot of people complaining about Bear Grylls being staged and about the show rather than reality; but TBH I find then all to ba that way. What Canterbury's doing here certainly isn't the way it's done in real life by the country boys that have been doing it for generations.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think the general idea is that it prevents the line from soaking up any water, I'd imagine that it helps to maintain the integrity of the line when it's used repeatedly too. With the stuff on the Pathfinder school website they make quite a big deal about the quality of the tarring, that it's done in such a way as to make it as even as possible, with no "blobs" that can rub off onto your hands or kit.

I've been doing it for almost 50 years on and off and have never had any problems (and we've left the same line in the water over a year at a time) That's how we got a lot of our food growing up; hunting, fishing, and farming. Don't know anything about the pathfinder School though.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
......What Canterbury's doing here certainly isn't the way it's done in real life by the country boys that have been doing it for generations.

Well what I do certainly isn't the way it's been done by the country boys who've been doing it for generations either, but then I am a hippy type survivalist :240:

I'm not entirely sure why you're putting so much effort into naysaying on this thread to be honest santaman, and I'm especially surprised that you have a downer on Dave Canterbury, usually you're all for supporting ex servicemen and the military inspired methods that they teach, I'd have thought a retired SRT instructor and sniper would've been right up your alley :dunno:

Cheers,

Stuart

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
I've been doing it for almost 50 years on and off and have never had any problems (and we've left the same line in the water over a year at a time) That's how we got a lot of our food growing up; hunting, fishing, and farming. Don't know anything about the pathfinder School though.

I think we're slightly at crossed purposes here santaman, no-one is suggesting that we want "bankline" to use for fishing, I personally want to get some just to have a play with a piece of equipment that's been recommended by a wilderness living expert who I happen to quite admire and have the upmost respect for. Maybe it would be a good idea to read a little about the Pathfinder school before you form an opinion about it's founder :dunno:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Well what I do certainly isn't the way it's been done by the country boys who've been doing it for generations either, but then I am a hippy type survivalist :240:

I'm not entirely sure why you're putting so much effort into naysaying on this thread to be honest santaman, and I'm especially surprised that you have a downer on Dave Canterbury, usually you're all for supporting ex servicemen and the military inspired methods that they teach, I'd have thought a retired SRT instructor and sniper would've been right up your alley :dunno:

Cheers,

Stuart

No that's fair enough. But paracord was/is one of the military inspired methods. That said, paracord wasn't the cordage of choice for the military because it was neccessarily the best (in fact it's overkill usually) Rather it was the choice because it was the cord most likely to be on hand for an aircrewman who had just baild out (He could cut hundreds of feet of it from his parachute)

For general bushcraft or survival work for most of us paracord is still overkill (and as such will certainly work well) and is relatively expensive. That's why the shift away from it to something like "bank line" in our circles. With that in mind I think the idea is to use the more commonly available cordage we used BEFORE the paracoed craze.

I have nonthing agaisnt Mr. Canterbury (I had no idea he was prior military TBH) I just prefer doing things without overcomplicating them.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I think we're slightly at crossed purposes here santaman, no-one is suggesting that we want "bankline" to use for fishing, I personally want to get some just to have a play with a piece of equipment that's been recommended by a wilderness living expert who I happen to quite admire and have the upmost respect for. Maybe it would be a good idea to read a little about the Pathfinder school before you form an opinion about it's founder :dunno:

I understand that you don't want to fish with it. That said, I make the comparison because I cain't think of any other use you might put it too which would subject it too a harsher environment; if fishing doen't need (or commonly use) tarring, why would any other use need it?

I suppose there might actually be an advantage to tarred line; I just cain't thinlk of any.

Last edited:

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Teepee's link is the one I have bookmarked at home but the postage is a bit of a kick in the nads. Unfortunately the smallest tarred they do is 2 mm which is approx the no 36 thicker stuff Dave C talks about.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Cheaper to buy from the states!!

Could well be, I'd rather give my money to a bloke in Inverness than the US though. Don't get me wrong though, I'm not too precious about it, if someone wants to organise a group buy from Pathfinder or similar then I'm still at the moment :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE