Bank line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Hi I have been reading a lot about bank line and how much better it is than para cord, I have googled bank line but get nothing but banking hotlines, can you buy this in Britain? is it any good? and where can you purchase it from.
Thanks
:cool:

i've been wondering this myself for a while (i watch too many dave canterbury videos for it to be healthy :eek: ), and i've been struggling to find a UK supplier, i'd be very interested to see if someone comes up with one. if not, group buy from the states anyone?

stuart

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Yeh I've watched too many dave canterbury videos so I thought I would give it a try. I have found a UK supplier of 2mm stuff which i think is about the no 36, the thicker stuff he uses. Its bookmarked on my other computer and can't give the link until the weekend. I have bought a small roll on no 16 from the states on ebay which I will try but then you get onto the bigger sizes and rolls it starts to get very expensive from the US with shipping. I'll let you know how I find it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Hi I have been reading a lot about bank line and how much better it is than para cord, I have googled bank line but get nothing but banking hotlines, can you buy this in Britain? is it any good? and where can you purchase it from.
Thanks
:cool:

A "bank line" isn't a specific type og cordage; it's a line with at least one end tied to something on the riverbank or shore of a lake or pond while baited hooks are attached along it's length in the water. If it streches all the way across the river and is attached to opposite shores on either end, it's a "trot line." It's a way to fish while not having to attend the lines. On a bank line there's usually only one bated hook tied to the end in the water whereas on a trot line there are "stagings" (lines suspended from the main line every foot or two along it's length with a separate bated hook at the end of each staging. In either case, the preferred hook is a size 2 or larger treble hook.

The most popular cordage used is that Torc pictured i post #5. It's just twisted ordinary nylon cordage. It's smaller (more portable) than parachord as well as being much, nuch cheaper and more than strong enough for most needs whereas paracord is expensive overkill. Being smaller and more limber than paracord also makes it a better choice for what the name implies, setting bank lines are trot lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: leanrascal

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
View attachment 13039
http://www.canteenshop.com/id74.html (2nd item down)
http://www.wallacecordage.com/tarred-twisted-nylon-twine.html
I imagine this sort of thing would be available from a chandlery and if not they could point you in the direction of where trawler men get their supplies.
Happy trails...torc.

This is the only chandlers near me http://www.chandlers-bar.co.uk/ The landlord, Roger, did invent something involving much vodka, gin, and something green out of a strangely shaped bottle when I asked for a bankline, but that just added to the confusion :eek: Thanks for the links, "canteenshop" is showing free shipping to the UK too (I think), so they may well be the way forward on this.

A "bank line" isn't a specific type og cordage; it's a line with at least one end tied to something on the riverbank or shore of a lake or pond while baited hooks are attached along it's length in the water. If it streches all the way across the river and is attached to opposite shores on either end, it's a "trot line." It's a way to fish while not having to attend the lines. On a bank line there's usually only one bated hook tied to the end in the water whereas on a trot line there are "stagings" (lines suspended from the main line every foot or two along it's length with a separate bated hook at the end of each staging. In either case, the preferred hook is a size 2 or larger treble hook.

The most popular cordage used is that Torc pictured i post #5. It's just twisted ordinary nylon cordage. It's smaller (more portable) than parachord as well as being much, nuch cheaper and more than strong enough for most needs whereas paracord is expensive overkill. Being smaller and more limber than paracord also makes it a better choice for what the name implies, setting bank lines are trot lines.

Thanks for the info santaman, I think that most of us generally already know what's meant by bankline. According to Mr. Canterbury (who's put most of us onto the idea I think) it's simply multi-strand tarred twisted nylon cord, the problem is where to buy such a thing in the UK? I can imagine many people reading this and pulling their hair out in frustration to cries of "it's just string, how hard can it be?!?!?", but honestly, it's tricky, I simply cannot find a source for this stuff in the UK. The problem we have over anything else I think is that tarred twisted nylon cordage is never going to be sold as "bankline" in, say, a fishing tackle shop (where I would imagine it's very easy to find in the US) as long lines/night lines/trot lines or whatever you want to call them are illegal on inland waterways over here (and maybe coastal waters too, I live about as far from the sea as you can get in the UK, I know next to nothing about sea fishing law).

cheers,

Stuart

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
...Thanks for the info santaman, I think that most of us generally already know what's meant by bankline. According to Mr. Canterbury (who's put most of us onto the idea I think) it's simply multi-strand tarred twisted nylon cord

...The problem we have over anything else I think is that tarred twisted nylon cordage is never going to be sold as "bankline" in, say, a fishing tackle shop (where I would imagine it's very easy to find in the US)....

Actually it's not tarred. It's just ordinary twisted nylon twine. In fact, I imagine that tarred line would be rather limiting in its uses over ordinary twine. You may well be right about it not being sold in tackle shops there; it's not always sold in them here either. We often just buy it at ordinary hardware stores or department stores or even craft shops.

I've rcently seen some videos of people running bank hooks and/or trot lines who added a metal leader to the end but I've never seen anybody do that in person. When I was a kid more people still used cotton twine rather than nylon and it worked well too although I imagine the bushcraft uses would be more limited.

Last edited:

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Actually it's not tarred. It's just ordinary twisted nylon twine. In fact, I imagine that tarred line would be rather limiting in its uses over ordinary twine......

OK, so what you call bank line isn't tarred. That's fine. What I'm looking for is what Dave Canterbury refers to as bank line. He explains it in this video from 4'08" onwards;

[video=youtube;RPjGIheVi4w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RPjGIheVi4w&feature=re lmfu[/video]

HTH :)

Cheers,

Stuart

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
He does indeed, but what I, and I believe the OP, are looking for is a UK supplier :)

Yeah, was just trying to clear up the tarred/non-tarred debate.

Have looked for a source in the UK previously, and not found one.

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
Yeah, was just trying to clear up the tarred/non-tarred debate.

Have looked for a source in the UK previously, and not found one.

I see, slight miss-understanding there on my part :)

Whats ordinary braided nylon from tackle shops.

This kind of thing mate http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=braid+fishing+line I think it's usually made of dyneema or something similar, really really strong but usuallu a bit too thin for anything practical, it cuts straight through most things, especially skin :yikes:

That's getting closer mate, I think that's natural fibre though. Jute/hemp is what a quick google of "marline twine" returned, I'm after the same stuff but in nylon

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
After a quick google, I believe we may be looking for "Seine Twine".

Apparently used for mending all sorts of nets, ropes, setting static lines and general uses along the bank :)

I think this is the stuff Woody had on a course in March, it was excellent stuff.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE