Bank line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
No that's fair enough. But paracord was/is one of the military inspired methods. That said, paracord wasn't the cordage of choice for the military because it was neccessarily the best (in fact it's overkill usually) Rather it was the choice because it was the cord most likely to be on hand for an aircrewman who had just baild out (He could cut hundreds of feet of it from his parachute)

For general bushcraft or survival work for most of us paracord is still overkill (and as such will certainly work well) and is relatively expensive. That's why the shift away from it to something like "bank line" in our circles. With that in mind I think the idea is to use the more commonly available cordage we used BEFORE the paracoed craze.....

The paracord craze has always been a little beyond me to be honest, I'm pretty sure that I don't own any genuine paracord, I've certainly never bought any. Cheap polpro cordage has always done me just fine, I just fancy a bit of a play with the tarred nylon stuff

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
The paracord craze has always been a little beyond me to be honest, I'm pretty sure that I don't own any genuine paracord, I've certainly never bought any. Cheap polpro cordage has always done me just fine, I just fancy a bit of a play with the tarred nylon stuff

NOW you're giving what's definitely a valid reason; you want to try it. Whether there's a practical or economic advantage is really irrelevant as long as it doesn't bankrupt us. After all, this is our hobby, not our vocation. Don't let me or anybody else talk you out of trying something that might be fun. Or more importantly, don't let anybody talk you out of enjoying something you're going to try anyway.

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!

Boom! I think your OOOOOOOOKAAAAAAAAY!

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
....I personally want to get some just to have a play with a piece of equipment that's been recommended by a wilderness living expert who I happen to quite admire and have the upmost respect for......

NOW you're giving what's definitely a valid reason; you want to try it. Whether there's a practical or economic advantage is really irrelevant as long as it doesn't bankrupt us. After all, this is our hobby, not our vocation. Don't let me or anybody else talk you out of trying something that might be fun. Or more importantly, don't let anybody talk you out of enjoying something you're going to try anyway.

No, not NOW, a few posts ago in a reply that was directed towards you personally. Thanks for your approval anyway :rolleyes:

Stuart (doing exactly as he likes since '77)

Andy BB

Apr 19, 2010
Hampshire
Interesting discussion going on with you youngsters here:)

Cordage is something I've been giving a bit of thought to, and agree that for most purposes paracord is OTT. So how about Jute twine? Very cheap, makes superb tinder if you pull it apart, biodegradable for the Greens, and if wrapped round whatever you're tying enough times, plenty strong.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I haven't used it in years but I did back when I was a teen. Jute twine worked well enough for most things. But I never tried it for anything needing a strong cord so I don't know.

Data on the GAELFORCE line

To: **********<*******@yahoo.com>
Sent: Wednesday, 7 November 2012, 9:19
Subject: RE: Black Tarred nylon Braided twine

Good morning ***********, and thanks for your enquiry,

We have these twines made for us by a specific manufacturer based in Portugal. For commercial sensitivity reasons we do not disclose the manufacturer.

The minimum breaking force rating for the twines is not a certified or tested load. It indicates the usual minimum breaking force required over several samples, and is as follows:

2mm – 70kg
3mm – 115kg
4mm – 162kg

Regards

Just data , not associated with the organisation at all

GRUMBLE

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE